Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how many of you have suffered AWD system issues?

Views : 85645

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED ANY AWD ISSUES
YES I HAVE HAD AWD ISSUES 231 53.35%
NO I HAVE NOT HAD AWD ISSUES 202 46.65%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 10th, 2011, 11:27   #71
jtaw45

Couldn't agree more,had mine replaced £330 after a 20% contribution,use a dealer who knows what they're on about or doesn't try and rip people off.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtaw45 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 12:17   #72
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Hi,
whilst i do not have an XC90 or indeed any of the other AWD vehicles in the lineup i still read these threads with sheer disbelief.

3 years ago, i went looking for a large 4x4 with which to tow my new caravan.

I immediately discounted any of the Land Rover offerings as i wanted to have an element of reliability.

That took me to the Volvo dealership where i looked at used examples of the XC90 and admittedly could have been tempted but the Part exchange price offered on my 6 month old Vectra Sri was nothing short of outrageous.
I really got the impression that the sales staff wondered how a pleb with a Vauxhall had the temerity to darken their doors.

I then visited a Jeep dealership in Bedale North Yorkshire and viewed an 18 month old Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which had the 3.0 V6 Mercedes Diesel in it. It had all the toys, went like the wind and was good to drive. Even the fuel consumption figures were very acceptable.
The staff were courteous and i was offered a very fair price for my Vectra.

Before deciding, i got a call from the Volvo dealers asking me if i had any further thoughts about their XC90 and when i mentioned the Jeep the salesman actually burst out laughing and said They are Rubbish, not in the same league.

I bought the Jeep!

On the Overland it has a FAR SUPERIOR full time 4x4 system compared to the Volvo and the vehicle is actually designed to be off road.
I joined the Jeep forum and there were no CONSTANT stories of expensive repairs to the transmission and obviously the engine was a gem to start with. I am not saying that Jeeps are without issues but i think that Volvo actually seem to have more right across the board. The European Grand Cherokee's are actually built in Austria.

Ran it 30 months, and other than servicing at the dealers ( CHEAP) it never had a spanner on it. Lost £900 in that time selling it privately and would definitely have another one.

I have an S60 D5 now and am happy with it but i think the vast majority of Volvo AWD owners are regularly been asked to bend over and take the expense of unreliability like a man.
How they can offer such a weak sack of S**T transmission like this beggars belief. It is not just the odd one off when you look at the last snow we had and how many reported on here that they had had no idea their 4 wheel drive was no longer working until they actually needed it. Joke!

Darryl

Last edited by S60D5-185; Feb 10th, 2011 at 12:29.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 12:32   #73
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Hi,
whilst i do not have an XC90 or indeed any of the other AWD vehicles in the lineup i still read these threads with sheer disbelief.

I have an S60 D5 now and am happy with it but i think the vast majority of Volvo AWD owners are regularly been asked to bend over and take the expense of unreliability like a man.
How they can offer such a weak sack of S**T transmission like this beggars belief. It is not just the odd one off when you look at the last snow we had and how many reported on here that they had had no idea their 4 wheel drive was no longer working until they actually needed it. Joke!

Darryl
These posts are about XC90's over 5 years old. The transmission was redesigned years ago and the older ones can be upgraded for about £375.

It's never been an issue for me. I like the transmission as it gives a good blend of off road performance and good fuel consumption. Did you ever get 45+ mpg from your Jeep?

There are far more XC90's on the road than Jeeps so you'd expect to see more posts anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 12:52   #74
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
These posts are about XC90's over 5 years old. The transmission was redesigned years ago and the older ones can be upgraded for about £375.

It's never been an issue for me. I like the transmission as it gives a good blend of off road performance and good fuel consumption. Did you ever get 45+ mpg from your Jeep?There are far more XC90's on the road than Jeeps so you'd expect to see more posts anyway.

Your not seriously trying to suggest that everyone with a diesel XC90 gets 45mpg ?

With the Jeep, it averaged about 26-28mpg and on a run 32. Not bad for a vehicle weighing 2.2 tons with an auto box, permanent 4 wheel drive, 215 bhp and 510nm of torque plus a towing capacity of 3300 kgs!

As for more XC90's on the road than Jeeps, the Forum i used was predominantly an American one with British users as well.
I think once you take the US into consideration that argument falls flat.

I'm not here to argue, after all i am now running a Volvo, however i am saying that Volvo's are not as reliable as everyone would have us think, the AWD transmission was a poor/weak design that owners are having to repeatedly pay for and certain people would dismiss the Jeep out of hand without ever trying one.

Darryl

Last edited by S60D5-185; Feb 10th, 2011 at 13:11.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 18:00   #75
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Your not seriously trying to suggest that everyone with a diesel XC90 gets 45mpg ?

With the Jeep, it averaged about 26-28mpg and on a run 32. Not bad for a vehicle weighing 2.2 tons with an auto box, permanent 4 wheel drive, 215 bhp and 510nm of torque plus a towing capacity of 3300 kgs!

As for more XC90's on the road than Jeeps, the Forum i used was predominantly an American one with British users as well.
I think once you take the US into consideration that argument falls flat.

I'm not here to argue, after all i am now running a Volvo, however i am saying that Volvo's are not as reliable as everyone would have us think, the AWD transmission was a poor/weak design that owners are having to repeatedly pay for and certain people would dismiss the Jeep out of hand without ever trying one.

Darryl
No certainly not, fuel consumption varies a lot from driver to driver and of course which bhp output engine you have. My average is 38 mpg.My best motorway average is 46.1 The XC90 is a bit heavier than the Grand Cherokee from your figures.

UK sales for ALL Jeep models in 2009 in the UK is 2501 cars. For the XC90 on it's own in 2009 it's 4130. If you include all the XC models with the Haldax AWD it's more like 16,000+

Since 1998 Haldax have supplied 2 million Haldax units to the car industry. 52 models of car are fitted with them. The Buggati Veyron even has one. Are all these car manufacturers wrong? That's almost twice all the Jeep sales since 1998.

I'm not knocking the Jeep though. I had an E-Class Merc with the 320CDi engine and I thought the engine was fantastic. Not so the finish on the body, which I hated and I went back to Volvo after 3 months.

I just don't agree the AWD is rubbish. I think it's brilliant. It's a match for the Disco off road, according to the 4X4 club anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 18:43   #76
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi,

I immediately discounted any of the Land Rover offerings as i wanted to have an element of reliability.

That took me to the Volvo dealership where i looked at used examples of the XC90 and admittedly could have been tempted but the Part exchange price offered on my 6 month old Vectra Sri was nothing short of outrageous.
I really got the impression that the sales staff wondered how a pleb with a Vauxhall had the temerity to darken their doors.

I then visited a Jeep dealership in Bedale North Yorkshire and viewed an 18 month old Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which had the 3.0 V6 Mercedes Diesel in it. It had all the toys, went like the wind and was good to drive. Even the fuel consumption figures were very acceptable.
The staff were courteous and i was offered a very fair price for my Vectra.

Before deciding, i got a call from the Volvo dealers asking me if i had any further thoughts about their XC90 and when i mentioned the Jeep the salesman actually burst out laughing and said They are Rubbish, not in the same league.

I bought the Jeep!

On the Overland it has a FAR SUPERIOR full time 4x4 system compared to the Volvo and the vehicle is actually designed to be off road.
I joined the Jeep forum and there were no CONSTANT stories of expensive repairs to the transmission and obviously the engine was a gem to start with. I am not saying that Jeeps are without issues but i think that Volvo actually seem to have more right across the board. The European Grand Cherokee's are actually built in Austria.

Ran it 30 months, and other than servicing at the dealers ( CHEAP) it never had a spanner on it. Lost £900 in that time selling it privately and would definitely have another one.

Darryl
I looked at Jeep as a cheaper alternative but decided against it. I found the Volvo more comfortable and of higher quality. Unfortunately the Jeep didn't offer the space and the 7 seat option either.

I agree that the AWD issues that the earlier models suffered are disgraceful for a brand such as Volvo, but I think now they have got it right. I would like to see a better diesel engine in the XC90 but the current offering is far from poor.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 20:09   #77
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I looked at Jeep as a cheaper alternative but decided against it. I found the Volvo more comfortable and of higher quality. Unfortunately the Jeep didn't offer the space and the 7 seat option either.

Agree and fair comment. It is a cheaper alternative but if 4 wheel drive is a major deciding factor in purchase then Volvo has has not delivered the goods.
The Jeep does! It may not have the trappings of luxury that the XC90 has but the engine and gearbox have an uncanny habit of remaining reliable ( Range Rover/Discovery spring to mind anyone )?
Read this FORUM's posts for all of the AWD Volvo range and it is a sad sorry tale of failure after failure and a lemming like attitude to paying the dealers to fix it!
Roy even seems ecstatic that his bill was only £375 pounds repairing this all conquering 4 wheel drive system??????

I agree that the AWD issues that the earlier models suffered are disgraceful for a brand such as Volvo, but I think now they have got it right. I would like to see a better diesel engine in the XC90 but the current offering is far from poor.
Yes the AWD issues are disgraceful but my point is that Volvo are living on a reputation for reliability long since departed.
As for the Diesel engine i actually love the D5 and touch wood my S60 185 has been pretty trouble free as well as very economical.

Darryl

Last edited by S60D5-185; Feb 10th, 2011 at 20:14.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 15:43   #78
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Yes the AWD issues are disgraceful but my point is that Volvo are living on a reputation for reliability long since departed.
As for the Diesel engine i actually love the D5 and touch wood my S60 185 has been pretty trouble free as well as very economical.

Darryl
It didn't need to be repaired Darryl. I just had it done because an upgraded part was available. I realised that in buying an 03 model I was buying a new design and expected to have a few teething problems. Wheel bearings and the sleeve are the only issues that come to mind on the 03.

The sleeve is well capable of over 50,000 miles though and some owners say theirs have done over 100,000. If I hear of a better part that can be fitted to my car I usually get it replaced.

I think that disgraceful isn't a word I would use for the issue. It was a mistake in my view but they fixed it which is all you can ask really. 8 Years isn't long enough to decide if Volvo's have become more unreliable but my XC90 is just as reliable as my 940 TD and my 245, except that it never goes out of tune like they did.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 16:03   #79
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I think that disgraceful isn't a word I would use for the issue. It was a mistake in my view but they fixed it which is all you can ask really. 8 Years isn't long enough to decide if Volvo's have become more unreliable but my XC90 is just as reliable as my 940 TD and my 245, except that it never goes out of tune like they did.
I agree that teething problems should be expected with any new model. I use the term disgraceful for the treatment owners have been subjected to by the dealers when AWD problems have become apparent. Teething issues should be remedied with little fuss. It shouldn't be necessary for owners to have to fight the dealers, Volvo UK and campaign to Watchdog, etc, to get a fair result.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 16:59   #80
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I agree that teething problems should be expected with any new model. I use the term disgraceful for the treatment owners have been subjected to by the dealers when AWD problems have become apparent. Teething issues should be remedied with little fuss. It shouldn't be necessary for owners to have to fight the dealers, Volvo UK and campaign to Watchdog, etc, to get a fair result.
I thought the poster that started the Watchdog campaign post wanted to make Volvo issue a safety recall notice? Personally I've never thought it was a safety issue.

I think that the delay in fixing the problem was due to the fact the sleeve does do a lot of miles before corrosion damages it. It was the R cars driven hard that highlighted the problem first. At that time no dealers had found sleeve failures in the XC90 and were puzzled by the complaints about the sleeve. This is all historic though and the problem on the early cars is well known now and it's only early low milage cars still using the original sleeve that may suffer now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post: