Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear wheel drive diesel mpg ?

Views : 3677

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2016, 02:35   #71
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Smile

Official fuel consumption figures for redblock NA/LPT/HPT vs D24TIC. Auto and manual.

Last edited by baggy798; Feb 4th, 2016 at 02:41.
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 05:57   #72
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
You can't argue with published figures as they are an "apples for apples" comparison. The case for buying the diesel vs the petrol when new would have been based on the fuel prices at that time being offset against the initial purchase prices. I've no idea what they were back in 1987.......

1987 fuel prices are easily found on the web, I was buying fuel in 1987 and running these cars for Volvo.

But another point you have missed is that probably very few, if any, of us here have bought a D24 new. We do not need to worry about initial purchase price or depreciation. Buying used the vehicle price is as good as the same for either fuel. Thus, the minute you turn the key you benefit from better fuel consumption with the diesel.

I haven't missed the point that none of you would have bought a new D24 (doubt even those of you old enough could have afforded one), I thought naively that you might have been interested in the data when that were (new that is)

We all know that Government cycle fuel consumption figures mean nothing in the real world but in the real world my experiences have been far more positive than yours it appears. My father ran a 745 B230K M47 for 10 years and replaced it with a 945 D24 M90. On the same journeys he has consistently seen a 10 mpg improvement for 15 years! I then ran the same 745 and later a 945 D24 M46 where I got 8 mpg. That's appreciable in my book!

The contemporary figures are a benchmark and should not be confused with the recent scandals apropos emission and fuel consumption - I find the fuel consumption figures for the 745GLa with the B230K pretty much spot on over nearly 30 years of experience with one - if driven carefully and 700s do require a change of driving habit to get the best out of them, I can get near 40mpg on a run.

Perhaps this difference was because all our cars were manual whereas yours were automatics.......? I notice you have mentioned maintenance costs being higher on the diesel. Did you invest in pump timing check and injector reconditioning at the intervals recommended by Volvo? If not, that would help explain the apparent poor consumption of your diesel, although you mention no actual figure.

My own D24 equipped car was a one owner before me and a cherished car with all the correct maintenance from new. And maintenance on diesels then and now is higher than for a petrol version.

"my own experience ...... leads me to conclude that there's a poor argument for the diesel"

There was poor economic argument for the D24 when new, that is why so few were sold in the UK - diesels were not popular in the 1980s in the UK and carried a heavy price premium as I have shown. This NOT to say it is a BAD car.

"then" - the fuel prices from back then will help with that argument but it all depends on what you consider to be an acceptable pay back period once you have also factored in service costs..........

"today" - used vehicle prices and my own fuel figures prove otherwise

"there is a fault in this comparison which may favour the TD". Can you please explain?
Jon
700/900 Register Keeper VOC.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote