Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BSR Diagnostic Tool on sale from Nordic

Views : 12224

Replies : 100

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:41   #71
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhorse View Post
Going back to the grey area re. the instructions around turning the ignition on I've discovered that mine works with the keys in my pocket
oh bugger HH, does that mean I've got to read up on key less ignition now ?

Life was a lot simpler and fun with my first vehicle, an A35 passion wagon [that's the van variant with a back seat conversion, excluding the windows option ] happy days........
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 10:52   #72
davew

Does anyone know if you can use these in other makes of car?

My brother has a 06 Mondeo and we thought about plugging it into his car, however we stopped when it asked us the year of the volvo.

Is this a generic question it asks as in has the ODB11 changed in some way from 04 on in all cars which means it would work in all cars, or is this reader just for volvos?

I thought ODB11 was standard across everthing?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:15   #73
zimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symes View Post
Mine arrived at the weekend, tried it this morning - had a few faults logged relating to the rear doors, boot/cargo interior light and the Drivers door module, all I presume as a result of me taking things apart at various times!

Seems to be a useful tool to have 'just in case'...

Now, has anyone *actually* reset an SRS/airbag light with this bit of kit?
Symes, yes I have reset the airbag light using the BSR PPC on an 01 v70.
zimma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zimma For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:33   #74
zimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Does anyone know if you can use these in other makes of car?

My brother has a 06 Mondeo and we thought about plugging it into his car, however we stopped when it asked us the year of the volvo.

Is this a generic question it asks as in has the ODB11 changed in some way from 04 on in all cars which means it would work in all cars, or is this reader just for volvos?

I thought ODB11 was standard across everthing?
Dave,

All vehicles that use OBD2 are required to use ISO9141 for emissions related fault diagnostics. All your 20 quid tools on ebay do this and all OBD2 cars will support you reading this but the information you can get is limited. This is one pin on the ODB socket in your car.

Ontop of this Volvo have an additional dual CAN bus network which uses volvo specific protocols which are not compatible with other manufacturers. This is the reason why the advanced diagnostic tools such as VADIS/VCT2000 are so much money compared to the 20 quid ebay tools. This uses an additional 4 pins on the socket, that dont normally get connected to by your 20 quid tools.

Tools like VADIS and the PPC tool use this specific CAN bus to do diagnostics.

When you fire up the PPC it asks you to specify 99-04 or 05 onwards. If you specify 99-04 it operates the low speed can bus at 125kbit/s and the high speed bus at 250kbit/s whereas if you specify 05 onwards it runs the low speed bus at 250kbit/s and the high speed at 500kbit/s.

FYI

20 quid ebay tools will allow you to view engine data and reset engine light and clear emissions related codes.

PPC will allow you to view and erase codes from ALL ECUs in the car, e.g clear codes from the rear view mirror ecu or the door module ecus.

Volvo VADIS/VCT2000 will allow you to do all of the above, but also do activations, e.g turn on and off the interior reading lamps, energise the brake lights, all from the comfort of your laptop.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:52   #75
davew

Thanks a lot for the useful info.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 13:14   #76
Symes
Master Member

Thanks Zimma, that's good information

- my PPC has a USB and (presumably) serial ports on it as well - do you know if there are updates available to download? or could the USB be used to get real time engine management info to check sensor readings?
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 13:49   #77
zimma

I did have a quick look at those interfaces but I think they are for programming/updates only. I'm sure with different firmware in the box it could be possible to hook a PC up to the car and do some really clever stuff via the PPC box, but I dont think that is what the guys at BSR are moving towards.

I have not seen anything to download in terms of updates for the PPC as of yet.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 19:42   #78
catch22
Master Member

My replacement tool came today, plugged it in, twenty two codes logged

CEM x 5
BCM x 1
ECM x 3
CCM x 1
EPS x 2
DIMN x 1
ICM x 1
SRS x 8

Clear them, went for a burn up the bypass, plugged in again and it was clear.

Well suited with the unit.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 20:59   #79
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
My replacement tool came today, plugged it in, twenty two codes logged

CEM x 5
BCM x 1
ECM x 3
CCM x 1
EPS x 2
DIMN x 1
ICM x 1
SRS x 8

Clear them, went for a burn up the bypass, plugged in again and it was clear.

Well suited with the unit.
I wonder how many of those were caused by the faulty reader
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 21:51   #80
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhorse View Post
I wonder how many of those were caused by the faulty reader
who knows, I'm just pleased nothing came back.