Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 74831

Replies : 1356

Users Viewing This Thread : Bobmac

Old Feb 8th, 2024, 23:39   #841
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

If the sound of a car represents lost energy, and I think it does in most cases, then an electric car appeals.

But there's something joyful about the different noises made by fossil-fuelled internal combustion. Closing your eyes and identifying an MGB or a Morris Minor by exhaust notes alone was fun when we were boys. And though now older and more crooked, some of us are still boys when it comes to that special mixture of in- and ex-halation you get with a performance car.

-------------------------
A great all-rounder
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 00:19   #842
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Oooh ta, Sabine's good value!

Ah, another entry into the huge tome of "responded to something without even having read it" ... you've linked another copy of exactly the same video.
Am I doing something wrong? When I checked the first link I get Harry's garage??
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 00:53   #843
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Am I doing something wrong? When I checked the first link I get Harry's garage??
If you're not "doing it wrong", think about who probably is ... I'll leave my post mostly as it is, just as embarrassing proof of my stupid mistake!
*edit*
Can't change it anyway.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 10:35   #844
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Found this interesting.... (long watch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZysvgm2_Aw
Great video. He's spot on.

Those pushing for electric cars don't understand. EV's are getting bigger and bigger in terms of size, with bigger batteries, bigger motor's producing more power and a bigger price tag. They haven't become more efficient like diesel's or petrol's did over the years. Slap a bigger battery in it and that'll do is the attitude now... that's not efficient.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 10:56   #845
GSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Those pushing for electric cars don't understand. EV's are getting bigger and bigger in terms of size
And they are a pain the a*se when the only available parking space at the supermarket, etc. is between one of these two monsters.
GSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 11:52   #846
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

For me it is almost 2 debates...

- Whether electric cars are an option to replace ICE, and is that every use case?

- Whether the industry so far has made a good job of electric cars and how well do we as consumers understand them?

I think Harry's video touches more on the latter. If the motor industry truly wanted to use EV's as a vehicle to save the planet from climate change, we'd have small Fiesta, Focus sized cars with broadly the same performance as their economy biased ICE siblings (i.e. circa 75-100 BHP) with good range and built with lightweight materials. Instead we have effectively big, fat racing cars..... It's just proved that our society is a temple of consumption and we'll only change our ways if there is something in it for us.

The relatively young EV industry is already in decline, but how much of that is because it was never going to be a suitable replacement for all ICE or becuase the industry has made a mess of it? It's a combination of both, but it which proportion?

It was also interesting how use patterns can double, even triple battery degredation. Fast DC charging seems to half the battery useful life. People are still talking about battery age, but it is as much, if not more, about charging cycles and how deep and aggressive those cycles are.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Feb 9th, 2024 at 12:21.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 14:17   #847
FreshAir

EV have had to have some headline/marketing acceleration to try and draw some owners in, and most of us are not interested in that even though we may have raced in the past.

You are quite right in that they are then creating larger vehicles that we really need, which could also be said for our beloved V70's etc.

In the a high mileage ex company/lease car could be a good buy as they have been easy motorway miles with maintenance always completed. Now those ex company car EV's are probably the last ones to get.

The reason for that is that the battery is more likely to have always been charged to 100% to maximise the range available as the driver has no care about how long the battery lasts. They are also more likely to have had more high current/speed charges done to minimise the 'downtime' when travelling as the cost of it is all expensed.

The EV you would want with current battery tech is one that has been charged between 20 and 80% at home on a slow charger most of the time, with very rare charges above 80%.

Even mobile phone manufacturers now provide the option to stop your device charging past 85% to maximise battery life.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreshAir For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 14:46   #848
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
EV have had to have some headline/marketing acceleration to try and draw some owners in, and most of us are not interested in that even though we may have raced in the past.

You are quite right in that they are then creating larger vehicles that we really need, which could also be said for our beloved V70's etc.

In the a high mileage ex company/lease car could be a good buy as they have been easy motorway miles with maintenance always completed. Now those ex company car EV's are probably the last ones to get.

The reason for that is that the battery is more likely to have always been charged to 100% to maximise the range available as the driver has no care about how long the battery lasts. They are also more likely to have had more high current/speed charges done to minimise the 'downtime' when travelling as the cost of it is all expensed.

The EV you would want with current battery tech is one that has been charged between 20 and 80% at home on a slow charger most of the time, with very rare charges above 80%.

Even mobile phone manufacturers now provide the option to stop your device charging past 85% to maximise battery life.
That's a really good point..... ex-rep's cars are no longer the safer option!
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 15:36   #849
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
For me it is almost 2 debates...

- Whether electric cars are an option to replace ICE, and is that every use case?

- Whether the industry so far has made a good job of electric cars and how well do we as consumers understand them?

I think Harry's video touches more on the latter. If the motor industry truly wanted to use EV's as a vehicle to save the planet from climate change, we'd have small Fiesta, Focus sized cars with broadly the same performance as their economy biased ICE siblings (i.e. circa 75-100 BHP) with good range and built with lightweight materials. Instead we have effectively big, fat racing cars..... It's just proved that our society is a temple of consumption and we'll only change our ways if there is something in it for us.

The relatively young EV industry is already in decline, but how much of that is because it was never going to be a suitable replacement for all ICE or becuase the industry has made a mess of it? It's a combination of both, but it which proportion?

It was also interesting how use patterns can double, even triple battery degredation. Fast DC charging seems to half the battery useful life. People are still talking about battery age, but it is as much, if not more, about charging cycles and how deep and aggressive those cycles are.
CO2 emissions coming from cars in the scale of things is only a drop in the ocean. Cars alone actually only equate to approximately 7% of all CO2 emissions being released into the atmosphere. Yes, its still 7%, but those that hold positions of power basically just go "Oh, EV's are zero emission, lets go with that", but they aren't looking at the bigger picture.

If we go large scale into EV's, CO2 isn't going to drop, if anything it'll go up because emissions are created making the batteries! We aren't going in the right direction. Instead of improving efficiency like what happened with ICE cars, EV's are getting bigger batteries instead and the size of the cars is increasing. That's not improving efficiency, that's just putting a plaster over the bleeding artery.

Like you say, smaller cars are the answer to reduce CO2 from vehicles. They cost less to produce, weigh less and that means less energy to stop, they won't take as much power to charge them because they don't weigh the guts of 3 tonnes like some of the luxury EV's available and will be more affordable for people to buy. The price of EV's is still very high, despite it being a failing market right now.

Let's face it, I can't see smaller and more affordable EV's being on offer anytime soon and big SUV's being ditched. Those that buy a Range Rover EV for example aren't short of cash, so charging it won't be a problem to them. Those that drive Range Rover's generally don't want a smaller car... they bought a Range Rover for a reason and want the comfort and image that a Range Rover gives. Downsizing to a smaller EV would be a big shock to the system for people used to ultra luxury, but honestly, I think it has to happen. Making huge SUV's isn't the answer to reducing CO2 emissions from vehicles. The Government's and those involved in pushing the green agenda just don't see it.

With regards to battery degradation, I think this happens because people are on the move and don't have time to charge at home or simply can't. They rely on public fast chargers, which are currently much more expensive than your regular home electric tariff. Fast charging doesn't help batteries, but when you need to charge to get to your next destination because there's not enough left to carry on, your options are really limited. Charging at home is ideal, but its not always possible for a variety of reasons.

The head of Toyota has also said that he doesn't think EV's will ever be mass market, as in they won't replace ICE cars completely. There may well be more EV's on the road in future, but that's about it. Interesting.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 9th, 2024 at 15:43.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 17:34   #850
GMcL
0's and 1's

Big cars = Bigger profits, small cars = marginal profits.

Mercedes don't put the latest tech in an A class and roll it up through to the S class, racing technology doesn't start in go-karts and make it's way up to F1.

Given auto makers have been told they have to forget most of what they have known for the last ten or more decades and pretty much learn again combined with the reported loss each vehicle sold represents, it'll be a while before small cars, genuinely small cars, exist again.
This shift is costing manufacturers billions, some won't make it.

Park a FIAT 500 from the 1950s next to a new one and talk about small city cars.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote