Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Estate Rolling Project

Views : 70698

Replies : 599

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 10:17   #81
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Thanks 940, I understand now that's for the return spring to connect to. I thought you were meaning the difference in height of the manifolds, hence the washers not sitting flat.
You can get round the thickness difference in the flanges of the aluminium inlet and B20E exhaust manifold by cutting the thick washers in half and using them as a spacer. However machining the flats on the manifold is a rather more elegant solution.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 13:47   #82
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Final pics of the engine before I took everything off yesterday and packed it all up to take up to the car tomorrow. The wee vent filters are just from Halfords, I wanted to get matching stainless ones like the air filter but they didn't have any so went for the red instead. I'll see how the filter set-up goes, I'd like to move it to behind the grill with a shroud to stop air being forced into the filter, the idea is cold air not forced air which SUs don't like I've been told. Maybe a bit boy racerish the wee vent filters...

I started bending the nipple for the inlet but I haven't got any heat at the garage to do it properly so will have to wait until I can get the use of a oxy torch. But have also ordered a 1/4" BSP 90deg bend with a 10mm hose connection so will see how that goes and if it can be wound on or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine 3.jpg (156.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg engine 2.JPG (355.7 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Burdekin; Jul 22nd, 2011 at 13:51.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 15:26   #83
222s
Amazoniste

Looking good - wish my engine was even half as clean as that...

Btw, are you running a filter in the airbox too?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 15:33   #84
Jackman

Really enjoying this, a very good read and usefull too. Loving the progress.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 15:43   #85
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Looking good - wish my engine was even half as clean as that...

Btw, are you running a filter in the airbox too?
I wasn't planning on running a filter in the box. From my limited knowledge and looking at other designs like this the shape of the air box looks quite good. Maybe the two halves may need to be sealed better and I thought maybe I will make a stainless or aluminium one later if this design works okay. Will see how it runs when the engine is going.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 15:46   #86
gillberry
VOC Member

The one thing we didn't do was clean and paint the engine as funds were getting limited . Having said that when the previous owner rebuilt the engine he had already cleaned up the block and head (not as nice as yours) . A nice shiny rocker cover for us would make a difference but to be honest we wanted Gracie to be as useable as possible while being showable if we desired .
Keep the pics coming as your now getting to the stage where the hard work is done and the best is about to come which is why we need pics .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 20:11   #87
pez
VOC Member

nice looking engine that mitch.
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pez For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 12:27   #88
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I borrowed a van from work this weekend to take the engine, parts, bumpers and trim up to the resto guy; Graeme. Unfortunately Graeme was away all yesterday until early evening and then away again today doing a offroad 4x4 race so we only had a couple of hours last night to unload the stuff and make a start on putting the engine in. The engine is in and bolted up with the inlet and outlet manifolds on as well and a few other bits. We put the engine in and then the Graeme went for a play around his property in his mate's 4x4 offroad buggy while I started dressing the engine. Graeme suggested painting the air box the same colour as the tappet cover which I thought was a fab idea so I will do that next time I'm up. I wanted to go up next weekend to finish off the engine and get it going but my wife has reminded me that we have her grandmothers 80th birthday dinner next weekend up north so the engine will need to wait until the weekend after. It's a bit tough as I just want to get stuck in and finish it off and get it going...

Graeme hasn't done too much on my car since last I was up, finished off the engine bay which looks great and made a start on the interior of the car. He said he'll crack on next week and considering it will be a fortnight until next time I'm up then hopefully she will be painted and getting put back together by then.

Attached some pics of the new pulley and trigger wheel to show how the pulley is mounted and how much smaller it is than the original pulley. Hopefully it will spin the waterpump and alternator fast enough. Leaving the old pulley on until the megajolt is read to go on. The plan is to make the megajolt up this fortnight so it's ready to be trialled once the engine is running nicely with Darren's 123 dizzy.

My new stainless bumpers arrived this week. Had a wee gander and they look really nice but have not fitted or assembled them yet. I bought them directly from http://www.sgbumperscar.com/. Pretty sure these are the same company as Harringtons in the UK and for anyone considering using them they were £140 cheaper than Harringtons advertised cost, 4 days to deliver and no problems so far. When they're on the car I'll post some pics and let you guys know how they look and fit.

The workshop fluorescent lights have mucked up the pics colour of the engine bay. Still loving the colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0344.jpg (146.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0346.jpg (178.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0348.jpg (220.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (235.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (214.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (194.1 KB, 53 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 18:03   #89
gillberry
VOC Member

Just looked at your link for the bumpers and will be very interested to know how you get on with them . I must admit though both of us liked the US spec with what looks like a badge/spotlight bar .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 10:35   #90
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Maybe the two halves may need to be sealed better and I thought maybe I will make a stainless or aluminium one later if this design works okay.
A weird set-up you have, IMHO. The proper (rectangular) filter element for the box has a soft rubber/plastics surround that forms the required seal with the bottom box half.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote