Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 running issues - advice wanted

Views : 20372

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2011, 23:40   #81
faffi
Motorcyclist

New SW and adaptive learning, like Warbo described "The adaption resets at the dealer involve a very complex reset/re-learning for the car during a drive out within a given set of temp/engine parameters and have to be followed to the letter!."

The engine is inconsistent. If I only drove it on country roads or M-ways, it would be OK. But I often spend 15 minutes moving 500 metres in the mornings, and when the engine revs up by itself and then fall flat on its face, it makes one looks like a beginner. And when you idle along and just ever so gently try to bring the rpm up 100 or 150 revs, it can begin to jump like you see people do the first time in their life they try to drive a car. The car is rocking on its suspension like mad. Using more throttle smooths it out, but when you drive bumper to bumper that's usually not an option. So it must be controlled as best I can with the clutch, but it is murder on both car an me nerves.

But it has good and bad days, or it can change from one minute to the other, sometimes perfect, sometimes horrible. When it regens the DPF, it is often bucking at speed as well, engine actually stalling and catching up again and from the throttle is pressed and until the engine responds it can go a couple of seconds.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 09:16   #82
Clan
Experienced Member

It seems you have a problem specific to your particular car rather than a problem that affects all D2 engines such as the adaption problem , If it were me i would leave it at the garage until it was fixed .
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 18:36   #83
lcnar01
V50

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
New SW and adaptive learning, like Warbo described "The adaption resets at the dealer involve a very complex reset/re-learning for the car during a drive out within a given set of temp/engine parameters and have to be followed to the letter!."

The engine is inconsistent. If I only drove it on country roads or M-ways, it would be OK. But I often spend 15 minutes moving 500 metres in the mornings, and when the engine revs up by itself and then fall flat on its face, it makes one looks like a beginner. And when you idle along and just ever so gently try to bring the rpm up 100 or 150 revs, it can begin to jump like you see people do the first time in their life they try to drive a car. The car is rocking on its suspension like mad. Using more throttle smooths it out, but when you drive bumper to bumper that's usually not an option. So it must be controlled as best I can with the clutch, but it is murder on both car an me nerves.

But it has good and bad days, or it can change from one minute to the other, sometimes perfect, sometimes horrible. When it regens the DPF, it is often bucking at speed as well, engine actually stalling and catching up again and from the throttle is pressed and until the engine responds it can go a couple of seconds.
Faffi,
My commiserations!
The problems you have with your D2 mirror mine exactly. Mine was actually better just after the software was loaded, but soon reverted to "normal". Either there is something sadly wrong with our cars, or our driving methods are completely incompatible with how the sofware deals with engine management. I have been driving cars for over 45 years and have NEVER experienced anything like this, so I suspect the former.
I too am at the end of my tether with this car. It has various rattles and poor fuel consumption that I haven't even bothered telling the dealer about, because if they can't get it to run correctly it will have to go!
I shudder to think how much of my hard earned money I will loose getting rid of a near new car, but I no longer care. Unless I can get a really special deal, I don't think Volvo will be getting any more "donations" from me!
lcnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 20:30   #84
faffi
Motorcyclist

Pity it doesn't help if we feel sorry for each other, Icnar

After driving it my own way for 25 miles, fuel consumption came down to its normal level for whatever reason. Over the same stretch at the same speed, consumption went from 51 mpg yesterday on the instant readout to 78 mpg today.

The bucking also reduced from yesterday. I have been consistently shortshifting it instead of sometimes pulling revs as my car have always been at its worst when driven briskly. Still, in typical crawling pace when revs are in the 800-1200 range, its still not consitently smooth. And its been like this before; good days and crappy days. The slack in the gearbox doesn't help. Still, if it was always like today I could live with it. Not happily, but not bitterly annoyed, either. Then again, if it was like this from new I'd be annoyed - it's just because it's been 100 times worse that I now think it's not so bad.

I fully expect the bucking to come back any day, though. And it still self-throttle, especially when reversing.
The Following User Says Thank You to faffi For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 12:41   #85
faffi
Motorcyclist

The car did it's usual bucking routine this morning when nothing helps; declutching only helps when the clutch is depressed, once it's fed back the car starts to rock violently back and forth on its suspension while banging the drivetrain. Whether I use the throttle or not doesn't matter unless I can use a lot of throttle. Not convenient when there is a car doing 1 mph 10 feet in front

So I wrote a letter to the garage, again explaining my issues as briefly as accurate as I could, and asked them to come up with a suggested solution.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 17:03   #86
lcnar01
V50

Quote:
The car did it's usual bucking routine this morning when nothing helps; declutching only helps when the clutch is depressed, once it's fed back the car starts to rock violently back and forth on its suspension while banging the drivetrain. Whether I use the throttle or not doesn't matter unless I can use a lot of throttle. Not convenient when there is a car doing 1 mph 10 feet in front

So I wrote a letter to the garage, again explaining my issues as briefly as accurate as I could, and asked them to come up with a suggested solution.
Faffi,

Oh dear! Your car seem worse than mine ---- didn't think that was possible.
Let us know how things progress.
lcnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 08:01   #87
faffi
Motorcyclist

The only thing "gained" by the last update was increased consumption along with the earlier discrepancy between computer reading and actual consumption. Great
The Following User Says Thank You to faffi For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:51   #88
faffi
Motorcyclist

They did another update yesterday, and I cannot really say it did anything, either. Perhaps throttle pick-up is slightly gentler at low rpm, but OTOH the engine cut out completely for half a second accelerating out of a corner.

Hence I have asked Volvo to take the car back. They will visit the dealer I'm using Januar 11, when the claim will be discussed.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:33   #89
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
They did another update yesterday, and I cannot really say it did anything, either. Perhaps throttle pick-up is slightly gentler at low rpm, but OTOH the engine cut out completely for half a second accelerating out of a corner.

Hence I have asked Volvo to take the car back. They will visit the dealer I'm using Januar 11, when the claim will be discussed.
have they reset the adaptions in the ECU and been out on the road and done the pre determined by volvo adaption driving cycle ??? Software alone isnt enough ..
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:39   #90
faffi
Motorcyclist

They have done the adaptive stuff twice, changed CPUs, checked the injectors and whatnot. It has been less erratic after the two latest adaptive thingos, but also consumption have increased markedly. Not the computer reading, just actual consumption.

When it was new, readout and actual matched, although consumption was fairly high.

First update, and the readout dropped markedly while actual consumption rose.

Second update, and still the same.

3rd update with 2 new CPUs fitted and consumption dropped drastically and now is equal to readout.

4th update, adaptive and all that, and we are back to readout staying normal but consumption getting up.

5th update, another adaptive ++, and consumption seems to be higher still and also the onboard computer says it use more fuel.

When the car was new, the only issue I had, except for the high consumption, was a few misses every now and then when getting back gently on the throttle after a period of trailing throttle. Otherwise, it was highly predictable.

After that, I have issues with "lugging" (engine doesn't run smoothly, it feels like one is rapidly pumping the throttle), extreme "bouncing" (think a kid trying to take off in a car for the first time, only it the jumping doesn't stop) in slow going, erratic throttle response (car throttles itself from time to time when taking off or you get 2000+ rpm when you expect less than 1200 then power falling off abruptly only to again scoot forward), engine cutting out for split seconds while driving and cutting out for long periods when DPF regenerates. It's like running out of fuel.

The engine changes behaviour, sometimes being fairly good for days and at other times being next to impossible to drive. It is, by a huge margin, the worst I have ever experienced over 30 years of driving all sorts of cars. My mother's 20 year old Renault 19 with 125,000 unloved miles behind it feels like a silky smooth Rolls Royce in comparison.