Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo

Views : 62632

Replies : 293

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2011, 17:52   #81
jasonb
In the mood for change!

ok once you get up off the floor after my next suggestion, perhaps somebody would like to try!!

How about removing the projector lens and mounting frame?
Just an idea!
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 20:06   #82
craigbarlow18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
The problem is this.
Our cars have Projector style headlamps which focus light to a specific point.

You have to look at is as this. Projector bulbs are like a stage spotlight, the light is focused to a single area. The majority of cars have Halogen reflectors. (this is like shining a torch into a big mirror for maximum light).

If you take your headlamp bulbs out of your S40/V50 and stick them into a Halogen Reflector style car, the light output will seem much greater. Volvo had made the mistake of using projectors with halogen bulbs (imho should be HID only) AND setting everybody's beam height far too low.

The only advantages to our current setup, is the clear cut off point. You can manually set them quite high without blinding people, because you can clearly see where they cut off. Not so easy on Halogen reflectors (light scatter etc).
I fully agree here, my lights on my 1998 v70 are .... well ..... poo, but its an old car and I will look at changing them to new style lights or at very least replace the glass, as for the lens style with halogens my vectra had these and scared me, I never actually felt safe with them and many a time would have to slow to 40-50 mph on unlit motorways and certainly couldnt see if anything was in the road.
craigbarlow18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 21:36   #83
Volvo6
Master Member

I find the lights on dad's 1997 V70 OK, a bit weak maybe but then the light units probably need cleaning after all these years and I don't know what bulbs are in there. The problem with the lights on my V50 is that while they seem brighter than the V70's they just don't shine as far, they illuminate the area in front of the car very well but abruptly stop, leaving what's beyond in total darkness. The beam adjustment is at its maximum upward deflection, which still doesn't seem that high.

Interestingly I hadn't really thought about it before reading this thread, I'd just put the mains on as much as possible and thought that considering how good they were the lights in general weren't really a problem. Now that people mention it I realise the dipped beam really isn't that great!

My V50 is a 08 model so the pre facelift ones must be really bad!

Last edited by Volvo6; Jan 19th, 2011 at 21:38.
Volvo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 00:28   #84
jasonb
In the mood for change!

Are there any differences between pre and post face-lift?
Of course we should exclude Xenon's for now as that's another story.

Both use the same size projector lens with the cut-off lines.

One of the solutions would be to replace the lens with a better quality lens.
Quite straight forward to do!

Secondly, what is the condition of the reflective "chrome" surface!
Take a look at http://www.theretrofitsource.com for more information!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 02:32   #85
Volvo6
Master Member

Quote:
Are there any differences between pre and post face-lift?
Not in the light itself I think, the unit though is a different shape and is white all round the inside unlike the pre face lift which I believe was grey. There is a good comparison picture on the first page of the thread.
Volvo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:52   #86
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
The problem with the lights on my V50 is that while they seem brighter than the V70's they just don't shine as far, they illuminate the area in front of the car very well but abruptly stop, leaving what's beyond in total darkness.
I like lights with a clear cut-off. That doesn't mean the lights doesn't shine further in the case there are pedestrians etc., only that there is a clear line on the road where the light seems to end.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 17:33   #87
jasonb
In the mood for change!

More reading and my conclusion is poor quality glass lenses.
Take a look at your own lens and see how clear they are!
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 08:02   #88
Mwaite1985

Couldn't agree with you any more. The lens is about an inch thick. You'd need a light house behind those lenses.

Matt
Mwaite1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 09:17   #89
clfchip

Have to agree, my '56 S40 dipped beam is terrible, high beam is fantastic. It seems the dipped beam has too sharp a cut off, as Fenton jd said there is no light spill due to the design. I think with most other cars you get this unfocused light spill which at least gives you some vision ahead.
clfchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 09:54   #90
civilservant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
I have a feeling that the dipped beams are just fine in most cases.
Incorrect - the lights on my 57 plate V50 are appalling - and verified by our local Volvo dealership who says there's nothing they can do as it's a design problem.
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote