Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Giving my '05 a 2010 facelift!

Views : 74691

Replies : 289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2010, 00:19   #81
jasonb
In the mood for change!

Hey Higgy,
what are you doing with your lighting upgrades?
I've installed a HID kit (6000K) and replaced the side-lights with LED's

The HID bulbs went through a phase of not coming on correctly for a week (a few false starts). I googled the problem and found that on occasions the supply voltage is insufficient. There are after market adapters to fix the problem. Mine seemed to resolve itself after I placed the order...ho hum!

Of course the LED side-lights were a must as the HID's made for such a pure light, the side-lights looked rather dated.
I purchased and installed the canbus bulbs first (with SMD 5050's) but they failed quite quickly.
I went for the cheaper non-canbus LED's next (again with SMD 5050 chips x9) with multi-layer technology.

My research has led me to believe that the SMD 1210 chips let off less lumins than the 5050's (just an fyi), so I've avoided the 1210's. There are plenty of messages out there complaining about poor light from LED bulbs!! The more lumins, the better (imho).

I tried the door mirror indicators next and ordered more SMD 5050 LED's (amber) and quickly found out how pointless the exercise was.
The lower wattage caused a few problems with the relay and upset the indicator flash delay. I'm sure there is a resister kit which will correct but I'm not convinced the end result will be a happy one.

I have the face-lifted rear lens and I'll be playing with the bulbs in due course.

Good luck with yours!
Jason.
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 00:32   #82
jasonb
In the mood for change!

How could I forget, if you're going the HID route, you'll need somewhere to secure the ballasts. I've used some strong tape for now. Yes a bit of blue peter but I will relocate under the headlights once the bumper comes off.
They are very much plug and play except for the hole you'll need to cut out in the access-cover on the headlights!
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 00:33   #83
Higgy50
VOC Member 23066

Hello Jason,

Sounds like you know your stuff with lights! I have been toying with HID upgrades or just going for complete upgrades on all current bulbs with something like the Ring xenon Max 100% range of bulbs.....

I seem to have problems with the H7 bulbs blowing too often for my liking so it's where I go from here?????
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 01:06   #84
jasonb
In the mood for change!

Sounds like a common problem and I'm sure many other members will jump in and tell you to buy them only from Volvo.
All that over engineering stuff!!!
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 01:25   #85
Higgy50
VOC Member 23066

Yes I know what you mean, On my old s40s & V40s I found an upgrade to a good after market bulb made all the difference......There are so many on the market to choose from now though!

Is HID worth the extra cost?
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 00:33   #86
jasonb
In the mood for change!

The Volvo S40/V50 has the projector style lamps. A HID conversion is very well suited to these.
I paid about £45 for my set with slimline digital ballasts.
It's one of those personal taste things in all honesty.
I went for the upgrade to give the lights a modern look.
My kit came with 6000K H7 replacement bulbs (just a tiny blue edge to the beam like the factory HID kits), the ballasts and wiring.
All I had to do was plug and play (except the cutout of the access panel on the lamp).
There are different colour ratings for the HID bulbs but I am not trying to draw attention to the wrong crowd! Hence my 6000K's.
Take a look at ebay item: 160410067605
Pretty much the same as what I have.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 08:30   #87
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

I too have the 6000k HID's - found them to be the best to be honest. Make sure you buy a spare set of bulbs as if you have your drls on during the day, the bulbs burn out quicker.
After about 12 months one bulb blew and 15months one of my ballasts went which resulted in a 'flicker' every 5 secs or so from the bulb leading from the faulty ballast - I bought a new complete HID kit off ebay as the cost was similar to just the ballasts - I have a couple of spare bulbs on standby.

Although the kits come with es kitemark numbers stamped on them etc etc they are illegal to use, so you take a risk. They will pass a mot as they only check the beam pattern. I've never been pulled yet, its probably unlikely that the cops would pull a volvo over with hids, as a great many volvos have the real macoy. More likely to pull a 10 year old clio with go faster stripes down the side and fluffy dice.
I think its a £60 fine and 3 points.

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Jul 25th, 2010 at 08:37. Reason: added text
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 14:06   #88
Gel

Exclamation Insurance

On insurance I assume you've got something in writing from em?

If not I'd ask for as you won't have any proof if you should need to claim and they then raise mod as an excuse not to settle fully!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
I think I'll see if I can contain my spending and just keep an eye on the 'bay over the next few months for the correct rear lights. I've got quite a lot of modding/repair to do to the rear splitter before I fit it anyway.

I'm so chuffed with the new look! I can't get over the difference just teh front bumper makes!

Another bonus is I just phoned swiftcover insurance and she made a list of what I've changed, but said it won't affect my insurance premium at all!!

I made sure she had it down very clear though that I had changed the front and rear bumpers and lights to those of a 2008 R-Design model. Just to make sure it's completely transparent! Nice to know I don't have to pay a penny more!

In the event of a repair the bumper would go back to standard though. I can live with that!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 00:14   #89
Higgy50
VOC Member 23066

Thanks guys that's really interesting and it's good to get some advice from two of you who have already done it!

Can I confirm that you are saying these HID kits are actually illegal?

What about upgraded xenon bulbs then? are they legal?
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:17   #90
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Yes, you take a risk unless you buy Volvo self levelling xenon units and have headlamps washers fitted which would cost alot as you may need new wiring loom.

Bulbs are fine to change providing they say they are road legal, you find these typically in halfords.

TBH, I've gone through loads of different bulbs looking for that Xenon effect but couldn't find any that came close - hence the move to HID.
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v50 facelift, vaiotag