Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 fuel consumption

Views : 21477

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 21:33   #81
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Clan, agree with your comments above. (And thank you for correcting me on the new D3 136ps, I must have misread the specs when I concluded it was a 4 pot not a 5 pot)

After 53k miles my conclusion on the V70 D3 163ps manual fuel consumption is:

1. Possible to get mid 50s mpg on a long journey if you're careful and doing about 60mph.

2. Realistically you can get 50 mpg on the motorway cruising at 70.

3. Local roads, but not too much in town stopping and starting (so journeys of 5-10 miles) you could see about 42.

4. Pottering about in cities will probably give you mid 30s mpg.

The above are all indicated mpg on the computer, in reality you can probably take 5% off those to give real life returns.

Incidentally I had a courtesy car today while mine was in for a service. It was a S40 Drive with the 1.6 diesel on a 12 plate with 12k miles on the clock. On a round trip of 400 miles doing 70-80 on the motorway it returned an indicated 59 mpg. Was pleasantly surprised how well it behaved at motorways speeds, reasonably responsive. Felt a bit basic at lower speeds, meaning it wasn't very smooth and a bit coarse, but that's a function of it being a lighter weight smaller car. It really highlights the significant comfort benefit the V70 has of greater overall mass and soundproofing.

However, I still wouldn't opt for a V70 Drive. Whilst the bigger and better build of the V70 would mask the seemingly more agricultural feeling of the 1.6D engine and gearbox I would feel it was underpowered and wouldn't give much better economy than a D3 163ps. But, knowing now that the new 136ps D3 is a 5 cylinder, if I was looking for maximum economy I think that would be an attractive option.

All the above is only my opinion! But I hope it's of use to someone.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 21:35   #82
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It would be worth knowing what average speed was showing on both the above cases , it is far more informative as to why those figures are so good/bad ..
If you leave your displat on Instantaneous mpg that will show you when the car is doing well or bad .
My commute takes 1h30-1h40 most days and is 63 miles each way. I reckon that makes it an average of about 38-42mph. Not great, but lots of 30/40 zones going down through to Salisbury and 3 or 4 towns / cities to get through as well.

Interestingly, the my car summary today showed 64 going in to work and 53 coming home. Journey home was a 'mare though and took 2 hours+.
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 21:36   #83
Chris308

Just checked the display.

Average MPH says 32

Average MPG says 39.2

The actual mpg figures I stated are based on actual mileage and fuel quantities at fill ups.

Mine is an automatic btw
Chris308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 21:38   #84
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Forgot to mention, mine's a manual, so that will certainly account for some of the differential.
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 21:46   #85
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Driving style has a lot to do with it and the D3 really highlights that. A heavy boot and braking late makes a real dent in my figures.

The thing I like about the D3 though is that the economy is available to you through driving style if you want it, but the oooomph is also there when you need it.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 22:09   #86
tt82
Forum Support Team

Seems a good compromise then the D3

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 23:14   #87
Ragnorak

Default Fuel Consumption

Gotta say some of these figures I am seeing on here have me concerned. I have a 2010 V70 D3 163ps. I have owned it for a week and its the geartronic... I am getting 37mpg tops with gentle driving with the climate control on auto. Is there an issue with these return figures or is this about right. My old ford mondeo diesel used to give 47mpg on the same journey and I was expecting the same from the volvo. I love the new car by the way but was hoping for much better economy...
Ragnorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 07:30   #88
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
Gotta say some of these figures I am seeing on here have me concerned. I have a 2010 V70 D3 163ps. I have owned it for a week and its the geartronic... I am getting 37mpg tops with gentle driving with the climate control on auto. Is there an issue with these return figures or is this about right. My old ford mondeo diesel used to give 47mpg on the same journey and I was expecting the same from the volvo. I love the new car by the way but was hoping for much better economy...
what is your average speed showing ? it really has to be 40 mph ish to get good consumption .. i would guess 25 mph on yours ?
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 07:50   #89
SouthOxon

I get an indicated 43 mpg day-to-day; twelve mile commute each direction; busy dual-carriage way out, cross-country back. High 40s on long motorway hauls with cruise control set at 73. Switch climate control off unless you need it; this makes a noticeable difference to fuel consumption.
SouthOxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 22:39   #90
Chris308

I've done a couple of longer journeys over the last 3 days and reset the mileage / average speed and average mpg.

I covered 625 miles, average speed 47mph and got 42.1mpg (according to the OBC). Will see what the actual mpg for the trip to Exeter was when I fill the tank tomorrow
Chris308 is offline   Reply With Quote