Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear wiper issues + solution

Views : 75777

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 17:47   #81
wstobin

I found R-P's post today and it was very helpful in my renovation of my wiper motor. The shaft was rusted solid and would not move. It took alot of hammering and WD-40 to get it out.

While disassembling and reassembling, I was haunted by R-P's description of a small O ring on the brass tube. I never saw it but thought maybe 2006s did not have them.

I reinstalled everything and found that there was water leaking from the gearbox. I went back to the workbench and looked all over. Of course, I found the little O ring.

Can anyone tell me where that O ring is supposed to go? I guess on the brass tube somewhere, but I don't know if it should be at the top, bottom, middle or somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.

Sean
wstobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:01   #82
theskenic

Smile V70 rear wiper

I bought an 03 V70 with all the bells and whistles. The only thing wrong was the rear wiper was stuck in the vertical position. Current was getting to the motor but is wasn't working. Following the above I dismantled the wiper shaft which was siezed cleaned it of any corosion and greased it up. Even with the shaft and nylon wheel removed the motor would not run. The armature was very stiff to turn the fault being the front bearing. I couldn't get the armature out of this bearing. Liberal squirts of WD40 and constantly turning and rocking the armature freed it up. It is neccessary to rock the armature about as it is a self centering bearing and must be free to find it's own position. With a good clean out and plenty of grease it was re-assembled. It now works as it should. Many thanks for a great post which has saved me a couple of hundred quid.
theskenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 06:41   #83
amalgaami

White toothed wheel that is driven by the motor and turns a round motion into a back-and-forth-swinging-motion.

What is diameter of white toothed wheel and how many tooth it has?
Can I found 3D model or 2D drawing of wheel from somewhere?

-a
amalgaami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 11:06   #84
Chris1960

Just managed to get a secondhand rear wiper motor for my 04 XC70 that parks same side (drivers) but had to go to Volvo to buy a new washer jet nozzle (£5!!) as was missing. The new nozzle doesn't seem to fit properly and I'm a bit worried about bashing it in. Are there different sizes or do I just have to "Bash" the thuing into the brass tube ??
Chris1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 17:24   #85
stinger04038

This is an excellent post, however I can not seem to find if it matters which specific direction the white gear is positioned in when trying to resemble. Any adive would be wonderful, thanks in advance
stinger04038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 02:06   #86
Thames
White V' afficionados

Ive been able to save mine. The shaft was stuck in the sleeve. The motor + gears were fine, clean and well-greased. Works like new !
Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 13:47   #87
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P View Post

Currently got mine in pieces on the kitchen table....

Where should the two small 'blocks' sit in relation to everything else when putting it back together?

It all kind of fell apart when I removed the motor and I didnt get a chance to see how it all fitted together.

Great thread
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 13:53   #88
Symes
Master Member

Tricky this... the blocks are the motor brushes and need to slide into plastic holder, compressing the small springs as they go. Then, you need to hold them in place whilst the shaft of the rotor goes through the middle. The brushes the spring out against the commutator (copper neck with grooves in it).

It may take a few tries - the springs may shoot out, so keep an eye on where they go!

Have fun!
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 13:54   #89
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symes View Post
Tricky this... the blocks are the motor brushes and need to slide into plastic holder, compressing the small springs as they go. Then, you need to hold them in place whilst the shaft of the rotor goes through the middle. The brushes the spring out against the commutator (copper neck with grooves in it).

It may take a few tries - the springs may shoot out, so keep an eye on where they go!

Have fun!
I had just figured out after a bit of lateral thinking.

Tricky isnt the word for it!!
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 13:57   #90
Brendan W
Premier Member

They're the brushes for the motor - keeps the magnetic field pointing the right way when the motor turns. They live up in the two slots , spring loaded ( one seems to be missing). Tricky bit is keeping them retracted against the springs on reassembly. The curve on the ends will show you which way they go back although normally the slots are not square so it's idiot proof.
They can be jammed in the slots with bits of matchsticks which makes the job a slight bit easier.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote