Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reasonable fuel consumption?

Views : 8726

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2022, 08:32   #81
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I reckon that big auto brake pedal will be fine with bare tootsies for an emergency stop
I had a nasty moment driving back from holiday in Cornwall years ago. I needed to brake unexpectedly and the sole of my sandal went beneath the brake pedal and my foot went on top of it. I lost a few fractions of a second wondering why I couldn't lift my foot before twigging the reason and recovering. I could, of course, have just continued to press on the brake pedal with my bare foot but you don't always think of these things at the time.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 09:37   #82
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
I had a nasty moment driving back from holiday in Cornwall years ago. I needed to brake unexpectedly and the sole of my sandal went beneath the brake pedal and my foot went on top of it. I lost a few fractions of a second wondering why I couldn't lift my foot before twigging the reason and recovering. I could, of course, have just continued to press on the brake pedal with my bare foot but you don't always think of these things at the time.
A close shave for the seat as well then
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 10:50   #83
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I found that the relative heights of the accelerator and brake pedals is such that if sliding my right foot left across to the brake it was possible that if I was wearing shoes with welted soles (were the sole protrudes out from the shoe upper), it was possible for the welt to slip under the brake pedal. To move the foot back to the right to disengage it from under the brake pedal entailed pressing the accelerator which wasn't a good idea if braking was the necessary action. I'd already encountered this on a previous non Volvo car.

My options seemed to be to change my footwear style, use my left foot for braking in the American style or modify the accelerator pedal. I didn't feel that having to wear special shoes to drive the car was realistic and American left foot braking is dangerous if you haven't been brought up on it. So I raised the accelerator pedal by attaching a cut of structural expanded packing foam to the pedal, attaching a modified second hand pedal to the foam and replacing the rubber cover on the new pedal top. It surprised me to find the the necessary height adjustment was 60mm which is a lot of difference.

I understand Volvo's logic in that they want to avoid drivers pressing both pedals at the same time but I've been driving pedal height adjusted cars now for the past 12 years and not had any problems. I recall that when I first drove the Volvo and this shoe edge under the brake pedal thing happened it was terrifying. I'm not recommending this mod to anyone as it has safety implications, but it suits me.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 12:35   #84
bananarama

Do you guys use premium diesel? Do you get more mpg when you do?
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 15:20   #85
FreshAir

I have used it a couple of times.

Difference in economy is pretty much zero on diesel, certainly not measurable IMO.

Biggest difference is less diesel clatter, and emptiness of your wallet.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreshAir For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 16:36   #86
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Do you guys use premium diesel? Do you get more mpg when you do?
I've a theory if they have a map designed for it then it might make a difference but afaik the cars leave the factory tuned for normal fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 17:25   #87
bananarama

In my case, after having seen how filthy the fuel filter was (I doubt it wad ever been changed) the other day I filled up on Premium hoping them additional "detergents" will clear out any residual filth. So I'm expecting an imminent change in something as "things" get "cleaner", maybe even an mpg change, but after that things will probably settle into a new norm? Lets see what happens...

Last edited by bananarama; Nov 9th, 2022 at 17:36.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 18:40   #88
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
A close shave for the seat as well then
It was indeed. I clenched my teeth as well! . Luckily it was a pretty slow crawl.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 19:16   #89
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
In my case, after having seen how filthy the fuel filter was (I doubt it wad ever been changed) the other day I filled up on Premium hoping them additional "detergents" will clear out any residual filth. So I'm expecting an imminent change in something as "things" get "cleaner", maybe even an mpg change, but after that things will probably settle into a new norm? Lets see what happens...
You should join the Cult of Redex, one 250ml bottle in the tank every 5k, the new filter is the best thing short of an oil change you can give a car.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 19:27   #90
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
You should join the Cult of Redex, one 250ml bottle in the tank every 5k, the new filter is the best thing short of an oil change you can give a car.
HA! I feel like a hypocrite because I'll never add Redex etc to the tank, but I'm OK with whatever it is BP/Shell have added; oh dear

Either way I do agree, keep the fluids and filters in good condition.