Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 fuel consumption and tank size!

Views : 37097

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 17:50   #81
x DTR x
Premier Member

Thanks Sony, just try to keep the A/C to a minimum whilst the engine is reaching temperature. Thanks also for making me understand how it actually works!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 13:16   #82
ProV1x

Like DTR I have a V50 2.0D (2008 EuroIV) - with no DPF.

Also like DTR my average is usually around 41 - 43 mpg driving on mainly 'A' roads and dual carriageways, I don't drive like a maniac but don't hang about either.
I bought my car 2 years ago with 47,000 on the clock and it now has 65,000. It came with a Diesel Tuning Box fitted by the one previous owner, I have left it set to Medium (out of Low/Medium/High).

I measured on full two tanks of diesel, one with the box turned off and the other set to Medium (which gives much better driving/performance).
Although I couldn't drive exactly the same over two tanks I did try to drive in a similar fashion, the average with the box switched off was 41.8 with the box set to medium it was 43.6
ProV1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 15:16   #83
SonyVaio
VOC Member

@ Alistar,

Are those figures true measured ones (fill up to fill up at pump) or are they the indicated figures from the Info Centre (trip computer)?

If from the trip computer then the difference will be mostly due to the way a tuning box works and fools the ecu into supplying more fuel etc.... This will cause faulse outputs on the trip computer too. Generally speaking though people who have remaps do usually see a slight increase in MPG.

I wouldn't have a tuning box fitted to my car, a reputable remap is much much safer.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 12:44   #84
ProV1x

Hi Sony,

True figures calculated from the pumps, I don't have an OBC.
ProV1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 14:09   #85
72dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Ah right, all you get then is the fans are on auto and climate at this point is not actually on. Climate is only on when AC is on.

DTR and Sony:

I do what you do DTR, auto climate ON, but A/C OFF, apart from in the summer.

Just to correct Sony, with auto setting on and A/C off, you get full automatic temperature AND directional flow, just without the compressor on. It's an excellent way of keeping temp and flow best for the conditions.

Once it gets over about 18C, I tend to switch A/C on, still using auto climate to cool the interior, then revert on A/C off. In those hotter days, A/C is on with auto climate all the time. The Volvo system is one of the best I've come across.

Last edited by 72dudes; Feb 5th, 2013 at 14:12.
72dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 17:25   #86
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72dudes View Post
Just to correct Sony, with auto setting on and A/C off, you get full automatic temperature AND directional flow, just without the compressor on. It's an excellent way of keeping temp and flow best for the conditions.

Once it gets over about 18C, I tend to switch A/C on, still using auto climate to cool the interior, then revert on A/C off. In those hotter days, A/C is on with auto climate all the time. The Volvo system is one of the best I've come across.
Hi Dudes,

Just to correct you there yourself, with the 'Auto' setting On and the AC off this means true climate control and AC are both OFF! All you are getting here is Auto fan control. The car will then be absolutely no different to any other car with added of extra of having individual heat settings for driver and passenger - this in itself is not climate control.

The car will indeed try and keep both driver and paasenger happy to the temperature set upon the controls but the car will however be doing this via normal old school heating and cooling and is NOT working True climate control. For true climate to work the A/C has got to be ON.

HTH,

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 19:16   #87
feltorange

My V50 is showing about 42 mpg an is constant at that. I do far too many short journeys. However on a two week tour of North Spain in September, I saw the average rise to over 50mpg. I use the cruise control a lot and do not drive unduly fast.
feltorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 10:09   #88
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
Car is a manual Diesel but thankfully no DPF! Windows are factory tinted as far as i am aware as not had them done myself. I do use the windscreen demister when required but i turn the AC off when using auto climate while the engine is warming up!
Am only just beginning to appreciate the significance of the "no DPF" part of your reply.

Would you mind answering a few questions about your car?

Was wondering if you ever see a puff of black smoke in your rear-view mirror when you accelerate? Perhaps you've had occasion to view your car from the rear while someone else is driving it? See any emission’s from the exhaust? Have you ever had problems with the EGR valve? How much mileage have you done?

Diesels have been getting cleaner and cleaner over the years - I think the DPFs have a lot to do with this. But they do seem to be more trouble than they are worth in certain applications. I'll remove mine as a last resort but I want to be sure there aren't any other problems first - like a bad EGR.
chrisdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 11:43   #89
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdc View Post
Am only just beginning to appreciate the significance of the "no DPF" part of your reply.

Would you mind answering a few questions about your car?

Was wondering if you ever see a puff of black smoke in your rear-view mirror when you accelerate? Perhaps you've had occasion to view your car from the rear while someone else is driving it? See any emission’s from the exhaust? Have you ever had problems with the EGR valve? How much mileage have you done?

Diesels have been getting cleaner and cleaner over the years - I think the DPFs have a lot to do with this. But they do seem to be more trouble than they are worth in certain applications. I'll remove mine as a last resort but I want to be sure there aren't any other problems first - like a bad EGR.

None DPF car will produce a black puff under throttle load moderate to heavy - with the 2.0D mostly for me in 4th around the turbo coming in, or after a cruise at constant speed. The better quality fuel the lower the amount, I found tesco awful for it.

A bad EGR would mostly likely cause issues with power more than the emissions out of the back in my view.

DPF's are the only thing keeping the thing out the back from appearing, but some of it is a little BS, because they need to burn more fuel undoing some of their good by having it or using additives, where does that then go out from the exhaust obviously to you and me "regeneration" - it breaks down the particles into guess what CO2...again undoing some of the good they can do.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 13:45   #90
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
None DPF car will produce a black puff under throttle load moderate to heavy - with the 2.0D mostly for me in 4th around the turbo coming in, or after a cruise at constant speed. The better quality fuel the lower the amount, I found tesco awful for it.

A bad EGR would mostly likely cause issues with power more than the emissions out of the back in my view.

DPF's are the only thing keeping the thing out the back from appearing, but some of it is a little BS, because they need to burn more fuel undoing some of their good by having it or using additives, where does that then go out from the exhaust obviously to you and me "regeneration" - it breaks down the particles into guess what CO2...again undoing some of the good they can do.
Regarding the fuel, its only in recent years we've been getting low sulphur diesel in S.A. (50ppm). Regular is 500ppm. I know what you mean about the lower grades producing more smoke. You guys have Ultra low sulphur, don't you?

My non DPF turbo diesel van started smoking excessively so i stripped and cleaned the EGR valve and it improved it a lot. I'm just looking at anything that might stop my car from doing continuous regens of the DPF (at the expense of fuel consumption). Can you think of anything else that would be filling up the DPF so fast?

As a matter of interest, how much mileage have you done and have you ever had to clean your EGR valve?
chrisdc is offline   Reply With Quote