Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 73468

Replies : 1346

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2023, 14:26   #81
Benzine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
You are presumeably aware of the amount of our road transport that is HGV or bus? It seems to me that people almost invent problems for EV use forgetting that EV's are in their infancy and forget the remarkable strides they have made already. Battery tech will ensure these cars become ever lighter, half the weight you refer too in cars can be found in any premium car as consumers demand toys they have been told they need by cynical marketing departments.

Totally agree with you on the problem invention. Some folk just don't like change. My dad has been shifting the goalposts for the last ten years. "When they can do 100 miles I'll think about it" then it was 150, 200, 250, 300+. The whole time there have been models that could do that too.

From a UK EV owners page:

"I've got 18 children, 12 dogs, and a horse. Every day I drive from Land's End to John O' Groats non-stop, towing a caravan, and at no point day or night is my car stationary for more than two minutes at a time. There are no parking spaces and definitely no charging points within 9 miles of my 17th-floor flat. Electric vehicles are not suitable for my needs and are therefore a complete waste of time.
And I haven't checked my facts but I'm certain the batteries only last 5 days and cost £8bn, all lithium comes from ecologically devastating mines operated by slaves, all electricity in my country comes from coal which means it MUST be worse than diesel, and the carbon footprint of an electric car is so big it'll never be better than my trusty 43 year old clean diesel car that I can fix with my bare hands whilst blindfolded and has only cost me three pounds the entire time I've owned it. I have absolutely no idea what the energy requirements of Hydrogen production are, but I'm definitely sure it makes more sense than electric cars and all the other times we've been told hydrogen was the future were wrong but the laws of physics have now been updated so it is definitely going to work this time.
And in any case humans are having no effect on climate change, it’s all a conspiracy to bring down poor defenceless trillion-dollar oil companies, and tax every man, woman, child, pensioner and pet hamster a hundred pounds a day each.
And they're completely silent and each one kills 6 pensioners every day. AND... erm... something about radiation. So there"
Benzine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benzine For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 14:35   #82
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I wouldn't quite agree with that - if I roll a EV I'd quite like the battery to go its own way on the first revolution. Let's ask Richard Hammond?
When you look at it in that scenario the detachable aspect will come in handy unless you happen to be in the way of it when it leaves the donor car and comes skidding into you at speed whether you are jogging with your latte wearing some B&O cans humming to your Adele cd completely unaware of the impending disaster behind you or waiting for the number nine to arrive to take you somewhere.

Tofufi.

Have a look at the Rimac Hammond smashed up.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 14:41   #83
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzine View Post
Totally agree with you on the problem invention. Some folk just don't like change. My dad has been shifting the goalposts for the last ten years. "When they can do 100 miles I'll think about it" then it was 150, 200, 250, 300+. The whole time there have been models that could do that too.

From a UK EV owners page:

"I've got 18 children, 12 dogs, and a horse. Every day I drive from Land's End to John O' Groats non-stop, towing a caravan, and at no point day or night is my car stationary for more than two minutes at a time. There are no parking spaces and definitely no charging points within 9 miles of my 17th-floor flat. Electric vehicles are not suitable for my needs and are therefore a complete waste of time.
And I haven't checked my facts but I'm certain the batteries only last 5 days and cost £8bn, all lithium comes from ecologically devastating mines operated by slaves, all electricity in my country comes from coal which means it MUST be worse than diesel, and the carbon footprint of an electric car is so big it'll never be better than my trusty 43 year old clean diesel car that I can fix with my bare hands whilst blindfolded and has only cost me three pounds the entire time I've owned it. I have absolutely no idea what the energy requirements of Hydrogen production are, but I'm definitely sure it makes more sense than electric cars and all the other times we've been told hydrogen was the future were wrong but the laws of physics have now been updated so it is definitely going to work this time.
And in any case humans are having no effect on climate change, it’s all a conspiracy to bring down poor defenceless trillion-dollar oil companies, and tax every man, woman, child, pensioner and pet hamster a hundred pounds a day each.
And they're completely silent and each one kills 6 pensioners every day. AND... erm... something about radiation. So there"

I hope you liked or thanked the author of this piece, he/she/they are quite knowledgeable on the situation, me? I'll sit it all out until the reactor car is available or they license teleportation, however teleportation has another set of problems as people will just become lardy and suffer all sorts of medical complications like type M diabetes through lack of exercise.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 14:51   #84
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Understood - the principle of the crash testing is that it covers the vast majority of impact types.

The mechanical shock and impact tests are actually performed by hitting a live battery with an impactor.

Of course, there will always be the one person in a million who manages to do something utterly stupid. But the battery and vehicle level tests show that in normal use, and everyday crash situations, an EV should be perfectly safe.
Speaking of which, Volvo did a 55mph rear end shunt on V60 Twin Engine, which was pretty rigorous ! :-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0qdwuxzbo
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 16:19   #85
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
Speaking of which, Volvo did a 55mph rear end shunt on V60 Twin Engine, which was pretty rigorous ! :-

That test isn't required for EU, but I've seen the same test done while working for a manufacturer out in Japan.

It's pretty brutal. But the Volvo seems to escape a thermal event...
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 16:23   #86
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
That test isn't required for EU, but I've seen the same test done while working for a manufacturer out in Japan.

It's pretty brutal. But the Volvo seems to escape a thermal event...
I thought that was pretty 'good' for 55mph, they clearly wanted to test it properly by doing at that speed rather than, say, 30mph.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 16:31   #87
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
I thought that was pretty 'good' for 55mph, they clearly wanted to test it properly by doing at that speed rather than, say, 30mph.
How about all the other brands though, the Volvo is naturally built stronger than other marques front,side and back but how about some lightweight Proton equivalent in the near future.

It's also a shame they don't show where the cell box went to by showing what the rear seat looked like, looking at it where the block hits the cell pack would've crippled anyone sitting in the rear.

Last edited by SnineT; Jan 26th, 2023 at 16:35.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 17:17   #88
Mint Cake

Quote:

A bit of T-Cut and that car'll be good to go again
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 17:19   #89
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Cake View Post
A bit of T-Cut and that car'll be good to go again
The back to black wants to know why you left it out of your repair quote?
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 17:28   #90
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
How about all the other brands though, the Volvo is naturally built stronger than other marques front,side and back but how about some lightweight Proton equivalent in the near future.

It's also a shame they don't show where the cell box went to by showing what the rear seat looked like, looking at it where the block hits the cell pack would've crippled anyone sitting in the rear.
You are, yet again, ignoring the evidence and just telling us what you think might happen in the event of a collision.

There are now over 670,000 EVs on UK roads, there is absolutely no evidence that they are anymore dangerous than ICE in the event of a accident. What happens to your vape battery is of no material importance compared to NCAP tests and real world experiences.

As to performance here's a video of a EV estate thrashing a 911.

https://fb.watch/iisibZLWns/
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post: