Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Generation XC60

Views : 34969

Replies : 446

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2017, 19:13   #81
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
Delusional.
In your opinion.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 19:21   #82
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
When I saw the picture of the spare wheel on the configurator, I thought it looked strange sitting on top of the boot floor!

Then I read the information about it and it says that you get a tyre bag for the punctured tyre, so I am wondering if the picture is of a full size wheel/tyre sitting on the boot floor as you certainly wouldn't be able to put it back into the temps spare wheel space under the boot floor.

Just a thought.....
Can anyone clarify this? I too was appalled to see this picture. If the spare doesn't go under the boot floor then the new XC60 won't have a prayer on my wish list, despite all the other goodies...
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 19:28   #83
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I'm not sure which I like most now. The V90 Cross Country and the new XC90 are very similarly priced. The V90 CC is longer so more room in the boot, but the XC60 can have full air suspension which can give it extra ground clearance.

Both really attractive cars. I love the front of the new XC60.

Guess I'll have to wait until I can test drive them both.

Roy
I advise you to actually look at the cargo area of the V90 then look at the room in the XC90, the V90 cargo area is really very small due to the rake of the tailgate and low roof line, my dog would not be able to fit in the V90, its a hatch back not an estate, I took one look at it and dismissed it instantly, compared to the XC90, the V90 is a really small low car. The XC90 is bigger has more leg, head and shoulder room a much, much bigger cargo area, its just a shame about the road noise issue. But still by a country mile a far better estate car than the V90.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 19:59   #84
bobby2000
VOC Member

Just done a configuration on the new XC60 as near a spec to my current car. It works out at
£49260.00 and that's without Polestar, So if that becomes available your talking £50k. I paid 30k for mine @ 9 months old.
I don't think I will be buying one for a while, maybe when some used ones come onto the market.

Last edited by bobby2000; Mar 8th, 2017 at 20:01.
bobby2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 19:59   #85
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I advise you to actually look at the cargo area of the V90 then look at the room in the XC90, the V90 cargo area is really very small due to the rake of the tailgate and low roof line, my dog would not be able to fit in the V90, its a hatch back not an estate, I took one look at it and dismissed it instantly, compared to the XC90, the V90 is a really small low car. The XC90 is bigger has more leg, head and shoulder room a much, much bigger cargo area, its just a shame about the road noise issue. But still by a country mile a far better estate car than the V90.
I have looked at the V90 thanks. It's fine.

Roy
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 20:54   #86
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Volvo currently are not better than ford in any way.

Ford have a much better engine and model range. They are also better built at the moment. Build on the xc90 is woeful. The edge has similar interior space to a q7 and will be a better all round car than the new XC60.

I know some people can't accept it on here. But the new 90 models are a joke compared to rivals. XC60 seems the same. Basic car, basic engines, overpriced.....but it looks nice and no doubt they will still be offering laughably priced options like big wheels and b&w stereo to make them appeal to Cheshire housewives even more.
The best engine in the ford range is the 1.0 3 cylinder. The 4bpot diesels and petrols are average at best. Do they do a 6 cylinder any more?

I have driven an edge. And a kuga. Neither are on my shopping list. An SQ5 is. A GLC with 6 cylinders might be - concerned about the crabbing issue. I will look at the new Xc60. I am not a housewife or from Cheshire. Most of my driving is long journeys where refinement matters so proof will be in the driving.

Would I pick a V90 over a 530d Touring? No chance. But then that is an exceptional car - especially if you spend a not inconsiderable sum on the suspension upgrades and things to make it look nice.

We all have our own opinions - and you are welcome to yours. I happen to disagree.
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 20:58   #87
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
Just done a configuration on the new XC60 as near a spec to my current car. It works out at
£49260.00 and that's without Polestar, So if that becomes available your talking £50k. I paid 30k for mine @ 9 months old.
I don't think I will be buying one for a while, maybe when some used ones come onto the market.
I have not yet done a rigorous 'competitor' comparison, but will (for interest) do one at some stage.
When I compared specifications 'like for like' in late 2014, there was very little difference in list price between a similar spec'd XC60, Q5 and X3. The GLC and F-Pace had not yet arrived on the scene. Of course, the hefty discount and zero % finance on the XC60 did make it somewhat cheaper 'on the road'. The X3 delivery time was too long, and I dismissed the Q5 for various reasons.
The XC60 has (had) some unique plus points for me. Totally flat cargo floor (now gone). 360 laminated glass (now gone). Fold forward front passenger seat on SE (not sure if this has carried forward) - and yes this feature has been used/needed on several occasions.
So, the jury is out for me, slightly academic because I won't be changing a few years. I am sure the new XC60 will be a good seller, but the competition has (and will) always be there and equally moving forward.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 21:03   #88
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
Can anyone clarify this? I too was appalled to see this picture. If the spare doesn't go under the boot floor then the new XC60 won't have a prayer on my wish list, despite all the other goodies...
Agree this is an 'instant fail' if indeed the Tempa spare does not fit under the flat cargo floor. Might have to wait until the dealer stock arrives to be certain (although no doubt the motoring journalists will oblige in due course). Perhaps Volvo looked at the GLC and thought it was a good idea to save space and weight ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 21:05   #89
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
It really isn't.....it's a matter of fact. A 3.0 v6 is better than Volvo's crappy D5.

The suspension and road noise are also attrocious. Almost van like.

"The world moves on"? Volvo are the only company selling a "premium" SUV with the same engine as their entry level model and no other options. It's pathetic.

The usual fanboys on here say "everyone will do the same". Utter rubbish. Ford sell a 5.0 v8 ffs.

Volvo want to lower their costs to a absolute minimum at the buyers expense. They want to Build all their cars with a Lego chassis with the same engine on a Chinese production line.

Anyone who has paid £50k+ for a 2.0 4 pot v90 is crazy......IMO

The fact is the new Xc60 spec'd to near £50k, will be pathetic when compared to a x3 3.0d, Porsche, fpace etc.
A v6 makes a better noise and is more refined - but if economy and emissions matter a 4 pot may be better. Do you know the best selling 5 series? Or A6? I can give you a clue - they have 4 pots....

I haven't driven a new XC60 yet so can't comment on that. Did 300 miles in 2days in an XC90 T8 and didn't notice it was van like...

You can now get anX5 with a 4 cylinder. And a Range Rover sport. And Discovery. So Volvo led and others are following.

Chassis... VW Audi and connected companies use same platform in various lengths for multiple models. It's how to survive in a world where cost efficiencies matter. Saab should have used their brains and not change every panel when sharing with GM- they might still be here....

X3 3.0 litre - hard ride and hard plastics and a tad old fashioned. Have you tried to spec a 6 cylinder Macan for 50k? You can't even get a 4 pot with much kit, and it drives brilliantly but is cramped. F Pace is lovely - but the 6pot with spec is well over £55k. Easy to get to £60k. Drives fab but experience to date suggests that reliability may be an issue around the tech on board.

You should try them all and then make a decision - I have / am doing.
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 21:11   #90
marchesman

Quote:
Volvo currently are not better than ford in any way.
Ford have a much better engine and model range. They are also better built at the moment...
If that is true then Ford build quality has improved to an improbable degree since the S-max which we sold last year. We needed something big enough to transport four people and cricket bags, tuck boxes, clothes and school books for two and cheap to run. Over 200,000 miles it fulfilled its remit, apart from needing a new steering rack just after its warranty expired, but it was closer to a van than a car in terms of quality. The dashboard was clearly not entirely central, its panels were extremely flimsy, it didn't rust but the paintwork looked poor compared with my much older Volvo and interior plastics were pretty awful. Very functional, mechanically tough but not at all appealing for its price and seriously inferior to both my old S60 and current XC60, despite reports from the motoring press praising its build quality.
marchesman is offline   Reply With Quote