Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting Problem

Views : 63518

Replies : 124

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2012, 18:53   #81
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinch View Post
Is this problem just with diesels? I have similar symptoms on a 2.4i petrol - could it be the same thing?
no not at all , completely different i am afraid . Just applies to the 2.0 Diesel
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 13:40   #82
Andrew13

Quick fix is to step on acceleration pedal while starting engine.

I just got C30 2.0D and experience same issue engine starting.
It always go when completely cold, the biggest problem is when it is half hot.
Thanks to your advised I know what is the problem and going to look at throttle body.
Andrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:33   #83
rosssmith

Default V50 2.0D intermittent starting problem

My V50 2.0D has had this problem for a long time. It has been into dealers on a few occasions and the fault has never been rectified.
However, I have found that when I bleed the fuel system using a home made hand pump. The problem goes away for a few months. I have also noticed that it happens more often during damp weather.
rosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 21:25   #84
copperknob

what about plastic air flap wich are bad for sticking and causing non/difficult starting wet/dry cold or warm theres actually a bulletin on this where you take off throttle body and chamfer both edges of flap so it wont stick again
copperknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 10:23   #85
usa2003husky

Hi Chaps,

I have been having this problem for a while now to the point where it has just started to always refuse to start on a morning. I have a 2005 V50 Sport, extremely high mileage due to my job but well look after. Apart from the non starting issue the car runs like a dream. I checked the throttle flap for sticking and it seemed fine. Just to make sure I decided to take off the throttle housing clean it and chamfer the flap edges as suggested in the previous posts and still the same problem, not starting. I checked the fuel lines next and i could see air bubbles so thought it was losing pressure on a night when it was stood still causing it to not start in the morning - just turns over and doesn't fire. I took it into the garage, they changed fuel filter and added in a primer pump to clear the air and maintain pressure - guess what still same problem. Only seems to do it after being left for long ish periods. For example i had to jump start it this morning and it woulndt start and bettery died from trying, got 30 secnds round the corner to the garage as needed fuel, filled up, jumped back in and started withing two turns. HELP.....Any suggestions????
usa2003husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 16:52   #86
jase1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa2003husky View Post
Hi Chaps,

I have been having this problem for a while now to the point where it has just started to always refuse to start on a morning. I have a 2005 V50 Sport, extremely high mileage due to my job but well look after. Apart from the non starting issue the car runs like a dream. I checked the throttle flap for sticking and it seemed fine. Just to make sure I decided to take off the throttle housing clean it and chamfer the flap edges as suggested in the previous posts and still the same problem, not starting. I checked the fuel lines next and i could see air bubbles so thought it was losing pressure on a night when it was stood still causing it to not start in the morning - just turns over and doesn't fire. I took it into the garage, they changed fuel filter and added in a primer pump to clear the air and maintain pressure - guess what still same problem. Only seems to do it after being left for long ish periods. For example i had to jump start it this morning and it woulndt start and bettery died from trying, got 30 secnds round the corner to the garage as needed fuel, filled up, jumped back in and started withing two turns. HELP.....Any suggestions????
Have you checked the DPF sensor? it's on the side of the battery and has 2 pipes on the bottom of it... try just unplugging the wire when it's not starting..
jase1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 17:02   #87
jase1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa2003husky View Post
Hi Chaps,

The tank pickup is a poor design, I've modded mine to be more tolerant as I found if I had a fuel blockage, it would run dry, get bubbles and cause me problems,

I've blogged my problems on http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/newrep...eply&p=1403471
jase1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 22:19   #88
Geesus

Hi guys, first post here.

Last week I bought a Diesel 2006 V50 Sport Estate, 66,000 miles on the clock.

Tonight on my way home from work it broke down.

Was pulling over to phone my wife and the car cut out as I was rolling to a stop. It wouldn't start back up again, it was turning over fine but not firing up. RAC was phoned and he put 10 litres of diesel in thinking that it might have run out of diesel (the fuel gauge was in the red but still registering fuel.
That didn't help, he sprayed some engine start into the intake and that would encourage the car to start but it would only run albeit rough whilst engine start was being sprayed....

He towed it to my nearest Volvo dealer in London and has told me he thinks it's a fuelling issue as he popped the clear hose off and said there was no sign of fuel whilst I was cranking the car over.

I popped the throttle body hose off and checked the throttle flap for stickiness and it seems ok.

Any thoughts on what may be the issue? I think I will replace the throttle body regardless but what I'm worried about is the Volvo dealership spending countless hours trying to trace the issue.

Clan does this sound like a throttle body issue?

Thanks in advance,

Ollie.
Geesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 08:43   #89
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesus View Post
Hi guys, first post here.

Last week I bought a Diesel 2006 V50 Sport Estate, 66,000 miles on the clock.

Tonight on my way home from work it broke down.

Was pulling over to phone my wife and the car cut out as I was rolling to a stop. It wouldn't start back up again, it was turning over fine but not firing up. RAC was phoned and he put 10 litres of diesel in thinking that it might have run out of diesel (the fuel gauge was in the red but still registering fuel.
That didn't help, he sprayed some engine start into the intake and that would encourage the car to start but it would only run albeit rough whilst engine start was being sprayed....

He towed it to my nearest Volvo dealer in London and has told me he thinks it's a fuelling issue as he popped the clear hose off and said there was no sign of fuel whilst I was cranking the car over.

I popped the throttle body hose off and checked the throttle flap for stickiness and it seems ok.

Any thoughts on what may be the issue? I think I will replace the throttle body regardless but what I'm worried about is the Volvo dealership spending countless hours trying to trace the issue.

Clan does this sound like a throttle body issue?

Thanks in advance,

Ollie.
No it doesnt sound like a throttle body problem .
You didnt mention anywhere about the RAC or The Volvo dealer bleeding the fuel system after adding the fuel ... I assume both would have done so . But if there is no fuel in the clear pipe then no chance the engine will start . Bleeding gets rid of the air in the pipe ...
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 09:23   #90
Geesus

Morning Clan, thank you for your reply.
All this happened yesterday evening so the Volvo dealer won't be able to view the car until tomorrow.
The RAC man did pop a hose of sorts off and I cranked the car for a good few minutes, I guess that was to try and prime the fuel system. It was hard to tell as I was sitting in the car turning it over.
It seems odd that I might have run it out of fuel although the fuel gauge was sitting down in the middle of the red. It did just cut out and I was rolling to a stop to park the car but there were no signs prior to that that it was running low. Certainly no fuel light had come on.

I will do a search to see about how to prime the fuel system, is this easily done and do you have a link to a thread that you may have written?

I may make my way over to where the car is parked outside the dealer and try that today as I'm fretting how will get to work tomorrow, not to mention that we are moving house on Tuesday.

Thanks again, Ollie.
Geesus is offline   Reply With Quote