Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

19T turbo?

Views : 15926

Replies : 171

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:23   #81
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Bringing this thread back from the dead.........

I've re-read it and due to a temporary tightening of ones wallet strings, the 18T bolted onto the standard DP is now looking like a better option than a 19T and new 3" downpipe.

What's involved with replacing my 16T with an 18T, and what kind of power gain would be estimated? Would a custom remap be required? What kind of cost including fitting?

Anywhere good that offers this near London (I'm West but can travel).

Many thanks
carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 18:03   #82
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpy View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead.........

I've re-read it and due to a temporary tightening of ones wallet strings, the 18T bolted onto the standard DP is now looking like a better option than a 19T and new 3" downpipe.

What's involved with replacing my 16T with an 18T, and what kind of power gain would be estimated? Would a custom remap be required? What kind of cost including fitting?

Anywhere good that offers this near London (I'm West but can travel).

Many thanks
what have you done to the car so far? what mods does it have allready?
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 20:03   #83
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Hi Bobcat

The car has a RICA 280 remap, ITG air filter, strut brace & Miltek cat-back.

Would the 18T be a good choice?
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 21:02   #84
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I think it would be a great idea, especially if you're willing to spring for the custom map.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 21:21   #85
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

I was under the impression that it was dangerous to try and run an uprated turbo without getting a remap to take it into account. Is this not true for an 18T then?
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 22:02   #86
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Well I've never observed air/fuel ratio and ping threshold data on a T5 running hardware it's not mapped for, so I don't know exactly how it behaves. Plenty of people do it with T5s. 940s cope ok, up to a point...but it's not ideal. Some fuel systems do a remarkable job of coping with alterations...some (generally 80s systems) are useless, and no power is added.

Most likely, it'll be safe enough, but you'll not be getting the most out of the hardware.

cheers

James
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 22:52   #87
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

I'm with you. The main reason for getting a new turbo is to increase the performance, so really a custom remap is a must.

Anyone know the best place for a custom remap after I've had the 18T fitted?
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 23:56   #88
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

In terms of people I know to do custom mapping of the standard EMS...
I think there's not a lot in it RICA vs MTE - other than that the MTE stuff is a little more realistic in its 'forecast' of numbers. Stuart (i.e. SW Autos) is fairly new in the 'chipping' game, so it's perhaps a little early to make a long-term assessment, but his cars seem to be getting good numbers, and other work has an excellent reputation. I have no reason to doubt that his work won't be holding up to scrutiny in 18 months time.

Ultimately, I'd happily spend money with any of the above, but most people's choice seems to come down to who you know/trust/have had work from before, and who is nearest!

cheers

James
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 19:08   #89
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Yes it's going to be either RT mechanics and SW Autos, but ideally I'd like to know what kind of power increases the 18T would give over my standard 16T (130,000 miles on).

Also what about modifying an 18T to give more power than standard. This sounds like a good plan as it wouldn't require a DP change.

Saying that though if a 19T or similar, and a 3" DP give much more power than even a modded 18T, then it would kinda be a false economy to try and save money by going the 18T route.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 00:32   #90
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The DP is good for some power, but it seems the 19T isn't worth much over the 18T. For the extra money a 19T + DP costs, I'd go bigger than a 19T if you want more than an 18T can give, if you get me. If you specifically want the insta-spool appeal of the TD04 series, but the ultimate incarnation thereof, the 19T + 3" DP is certainly a great combination.

Serious benchracing time? It depends on whose dyno you're using. If a standard chipped T5 makes say 270 on a certain dyno, I'd expect to see 280-290 with an 18T, intercooler, 3" exhaust from the bottom of the DP, remap. Perhaps a shade more...it depends on how accurate the reports are re: 18T vs 19T, and how much of a hold up the stock downpipe is on a T5.

cheers

James