Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The National Rally & BKV - does it really exist ?

Views : 27253

Replies : 269

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2012, 17:24   #81
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Rhetoric or heretic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
As a side-note, what about 900s? They're basically the same thing, right?cheersJames
Hi James,

Assumptions are always dangerous, but this is a rhetorical question?

Prufrock.

P.S I've got a feeling we're all going to have a good old natter around the camp fire.

Last edited by Prufrock; May 14th, 2012 at 17:28.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:07   #82
Chris Wickers
Director

Just to try to explain the logic in removing the age and mileage allowance.

This was actually done with a view to try and make the event fairer.

By removing any allowances this puts the results in the hands of the judges, and they are the people who take this into consideration - and assuming that everyone judges a similar way you mark all the cars, and then 'sense check' that taking everything in to consideration that the winners etc. are correct.

So to re-iterate the reason it was introduced was to try and make everything simpler and fairer for everyone taking part.

I have my own views on the National, and the BKV, and I fully accept that everyone has different opinions. I have also won my class in the past, and tried to compete seriously. I have also won, when I though another car was better, and also lost to a car which wasn't even close to mine! (all in my opinion!) These days my car(s) is(are) not good enough!

I know capitals are deemed as shouting but here goes!

THE NATIONAL IS FOR EVERYONE!

And I really hope everyone enjoys it, whether they are looking to win Best in Show, or whether they are just coming to see what it is all about and meet other people and everything in between.

I have followed this thread and I do understand people's views on the BKV - however it may come as a surprise, but I have also had people contact me to say they will not be coming to the National as the Club no longer takes the BKV seriously enough, and we do not have professional judges to make it a Concours event.

This saddens me in the same way as when people say they do not wish to come as it is all 'spit and polish.'

In my view there is room for everyone. To re-iterate:

THE NATIONAL IS FOR EVERYONE!

I like shiny new cars! I would love a V60 Polestarred.........

I love my 480 - even though it is not MOT'd and has too much rust.......

My V40 is a great workhorse!

The V90 would be my preferred choice over the V40 if petrol was the same as in the USA.

One day I hope to own a P1800.......... (I also hope to own a TR7 convertible - but I normally keep quiet about that)

And one day I WILL own a Porsche!

So I really do hope everyone will be there, and that everyone will enjoy the majority of the two days.

If you think that the Club Officials and Members are doing things wrong - you are of course entitled to that opinion (and you could of course be correct!) However if you think that they are not doing their best, and burning the candle at both ends to try and make this successful then you are wrong - end of story!

My personal problem, (and before anyone says anything it is not limited to just one!) is that I aim to please everyone all of the time, and sadly that is not possible. As put in an email 'Chris, you take things too personally' - yes I probably do, but you will never know how much getting the next few weeks 'right' matters to me!

Kind regards

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:17   #83
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
this is a rhetorical question?
No, it was a genuine one. Your comments about 700s led me to believe that you didn't view 900s in the same light (i.e. as being the last "real" Volvos), which is the opposite of the usual stance (that the 1998 940 & S/V90 were the last of the "real" Volvos). I was curious to hear your reasoning, as the cars are really very similar, and it's not a comment I've heard before.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:29   #84
IC
S60R/V70R

Chris, the title of the thread says it all! There really was not enough promotion on the VOC forum about the BKV - that's why a number of threads have been posted.

With the leadership of Mac, Rupert and James there have been significant movement forward in letting people know avout the BKV and promoting the event by asking various clubs and organisations to support it.

It is about time the club dragged itself into the 21st Century when it comes to promotion and letting people know about the BKV. This forum is a fantastic resource that should be used by the club to promote itself in a much more effective way. Mac, your cry for help has been noticed. The VOC please listen to people like Mac and sort your communication and promotion of the BKV out on the internet!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:33   #85
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Dna.

Quote:
No, it was a genuine one. Your comments about 700s led me to believe that you didn't view 900s in the same light (i.e. as being the last "real" Volvos), which is the opposite of the usual stance (that the 1998 940 & S/V90 were the last of the "real" Volvos). I was curious to hear your reasoning, as the cars are really very similar, and it's not a comment I've heard before.cheersJames
Correct. I don't view 900s/90s in the way I view the 700, maybe it's not a comment you've heard before - I never plagiarise other people's views: it is easy and lazy to go along with a consensus; but they aren't always correct or logical.

The commonly held opinion regarding the 900/90s is in my view an arbitrary one, and serves to isolate further the 700.

I have made clear why I hold this opinion about the 700, which is based on a few simple facts; facts which I have outlined here previously.

Prufrock.
Old May 14th, 2012, 19:38   #86
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Smile 700 James

I have owned my 745 for 12years and to me its one of the last and best, looking Volvo estates it still has that square boxed feeling about it ,whereas you move to the 9series and it has the round cornered look of a modern car no longer a volvo tank or looking like a volvo that people remember and yes i would probably like a modern up to date volvo but only if it RWD...regards sunnyvic
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 19:55   #87
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
The commonly held opinion regarding the 900/90s is in my view an arbitrary one, and serves to isolate further the 700.

I have made clear why I hold this opinion about the 700, which is based on a few simple facts; facts which I have outlined here previously.
Now I must make it clear that I'm not trying to antagonise...I'm genuinely curious...

...but aside from a handful of pieces of external sheetmetal, and the rear screen (and fewer differences for an estate), and a minor dashboard revision the cars are essentially identical. I'd be impressed if anyone could tell me if they're looking at a 7 or 9 from underneath.

To be fair, I suppose once upon a time people said the same about 100s and 200s.

I haven't seen your other posts on the subject, but I'm sure it'll be a good one to discuss over a chilled beverage in a few weeks Not taking the pee-pee, honest. Probably enough of a threadjack for now...sorry about de-railing it.

Oh, and Iain, you're very kind, but my contribution is in nothing like the same league as Rupert and especially Mac's. In fact, I owe a couple of the board members phone calls and emails and have done for some time, so I definitely don't deserve credit at the moment!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 20:23   #88
andy_d
Premier Member

Nothing at all wrong with wanting to own a TR7 DHC , you Are good at welding arnt you?
and dont mind at all fighting your "inner boy" daily with thoughts of "ill just pop this 3500 V8 in there" ....

the V8 thinks Happen, often and lots
the welding tho can be an bi-annual event, if your lucky,

Ex TR7 FHC owner

*is good at welding, did the 2l>v8>2l swap, and not totally against owning** another in the future.
**as long as someone hides all the spare v8 engines from me
Old May 14th, 2012, 21:14   #89
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Lively intelligent debate always enjoyed.

Quote:
Now I must make it clear that I'm not trying to antagonise...I'm genuinely curious......but aside from a handful of pieces of external sheetmetal, and the rear screen (and fewer differences for an estate), and a minor dashboard revision the cars are essentially identical. I'd be impressed if anyone could tell me if they're looking at a 7 or 9 from underneath. To be fair, I suppose once upon a time people said the same about 100s and 200s. I haven't seen your other posts on the subject, but I'm sure it'll be a good one to discuss over a chilled beverage in a few weeks Not taking the pee-pee, honest. Probably enough of a threadjack for now...sorry about de-railing it. cheers James
No need to make it clear James, I've not taken your comments as antagonistic...let's have a natter at the National, a lively debate is always good fun.

I'll not try and convince you, but believe I have a compelling argument in favour of my view - you might have it sooner than you think!

Watch this space also.

Prufrock.
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:22   #90
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoyOfSix View Post
My personal 'pet hate' about the whole event is that everyone seems to concentrate on, and refer to it, as the BKV, as if the competition is the be all and end all of the proceedings. The actual title of the weekend is 'The Volvo Owners Club National Rally and BKV' which is why I almost immediately edited the title of the thread. Yes, a large part is the 'concourse' competition, but is also the annual club gathering and to my mind that means it's a social occasion and a chance to meet and chat to other people with an appreciation of all things Volvo. This is why there will be displays and stands there, and why non club members will be parking in the same area. It's an attempt to provide something for everyone; those that want a 'show and shine' have got one, but those that just want to celebrate all things Volvo have something to do as well.
Just to say that "concours" and dailly are not mutually exclusive. I try to keep my 140 in concourse condition but at the same time I have driven in three rallys in the last two months, One over a distance of about 1000km and the other two in shorter distances. I will be coming to BKV with same car towing a caravan, a distance of over 1500km and will still be trying to present in concourse condition. I did the same last year in my 940 and still managed "best of show" I take pride in all my cars and drive them and still keep them in top condition. There's nothing worse than trying to do some maintainance and having to dig through a ton of grease oil and filth to get to some part. I get the impression that there is a bit of "snobbery" involved in having a dirty car. " I don't clean my car, I drive it" To reiterate,there is room for all at BKV, I really come to meet up with old friends.
Just my view, not having a dig at anyone.