Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1090632

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2015, 22:24   #9321
v40alex
I do like a V40

You lot are gross

Netrocyn, can you do a vid so we can hear the clunking? Drop links are relatively cheap but I would have thought at least one of the four garages would have suggested that. What drop links do you have fitted at the moment and do you know when they were last done?
Re the brake judder - number of things it could be but might be worth checking the caliper slide pins. Remove the caliper, leave the carrier on and check if both pins slide in and out of the carrier. Start a new thread and we'll try and get to the bottom of it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 05:30   #9322
V40DSchariot
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrocyn View Post
Another frustrating day.

Fourth garage in a row that cant find an answer to my o/s clunking and brake judder.

All have concluded that brakes arent warped, and theres no play in anything in the o/s suspension. Quite concerning considering how bad the judder is and how loud the clunking is over uneven surfaces.

I could guess and put in some new drop links?
Have a look at the track rod ends.
Mine was clunking really bad and turned out to be them.
Jack your car up on the side that's clunking, grab the wheel and see if there's any play when trying to turn the wheel from side to side. Use very slight movements as your not trying to move the steering, just the wheel. If there's any movement before the steering trying to move, that may be your problem.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V40DSchariot For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 06:13   #9323
kieran40
I've Been Banned

+1 I had a clunking and it was one of my ball joints, both been replaced now car feels tight to drive no clunking.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 15:36   #9324
grow junkie
S40 T4 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
+1 I had a clunking and it was one of my ball joints, both been replaced now car feels tight to drive no clunking.
How many miles...........only joking
grow junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grow junkie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 17:02   #9325
grow junkie
S40 T4 1998

Received the lower brace and a free t-shirt...cant be bad.....uhmmmm.

Each point fits where it should....except the exhaust is in the way. Monday i'll phone UR and see what they say I wanna fit a new exhaust system anyway eventually, so maybe the guys at the exhaust place have an idea too.

In keeping with the Kenwood theme, got myself some small speakers for up front. Initially when i opened up the grill there where no speakers.....?
So now having fitted these puppies, the sound quality is coming together.
Next is the front door panels......and then the monster which needs to be contained in the boot.

And just something else.... the driver and passenger floor mats were looking abit shabby. The rear still looked as new. So got another set and put the rear mats in the boot. (Upside down). Still got a six bottle beer pack and carton of milk in its original position. I'm impressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front lower brace and piraatje.jpg (194.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Kenwood front speaker.jpg (275.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg front speakers.jpg (151.9 KB, 13 views)
grow junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grow junkie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 19:39   #9326
ITSv40
VOC Member

Got 'er indoors Fiesta MOT'd this morning. 17years old and 170,000mls and sailed through. Bought it six months old and 5000mls and for a relatively cheap shopping trolley is a fantastic little thing.

Anyway, having got that chore out the way, time to love the Volvo. Fitted the new rear discs and pads. Everything went to plan, so think, I'll drop the front suspension out while I'm on a roll and fit the top mounts. Oh dear, removed the front wheels and noticed the offside strut is slightly weeping. All wheels back on and road tested the brakes, so now waiting to order new struts. Oh well, it will be as good as new once fitted and as Volvo intended.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 19:44   #9327
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grow junkie View Post
Received the lower brace and a free t-shirt...cant be bad.....uhmmmm.

Each point fits where it should....except the exhaust is in the way. Monday i'll phone UR and see what they say I wanna fit a new exhaust system anyway eventually, so maybe the guys at the exhaust place have an idea too.
Looking at your first thumbnail, it is obvious what the problem is. The lower brace is designed for a cat back exhaust. The front down pipe is obviously in the way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 21:27   #9328
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Got 'er indoors Fiesta MOT'd this morning. 17years old and 170,000mls and sailed through. Bought it six months old and 5000mls and for a relatively cheap shopping trolley is a fantastic little thing.

Anyway, having got that chore out the way, time to love the Volvo. Fitted the new rear discs and pads. Everything went to plan, so think, I'll drop the front suspension out while I'm on a roll and fit the top mounts. Oh dear, removed the front wheels and noticed the offside strut is slightly weeping. All wheels back on and road tested the brakes, so now waiting to order new struts. Oh well, it will be as good as new once fitted and as Volvo intended.
Is that the zetec fiesta or the one before that even good little motors the old fiesta usually the body's pack up before engines. But that's what the welder is for
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 21:40   #9329
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Is that the zetec fiesta or the one before that even good little motors the old fiesta usually the body's pack up before engines. But that's what the welder is for
Yes, it is a Mk 4 Zetec S 1,25. The engine is still good, never been touched apart from timing belts and oil changes every 7,000mls. New clutch fitted back in the summer, the original only lasted 170,000mls! Lots of front suspension arms replaced and top mounts recently done for the first time. Body is now getting scruffy, but still solid underneath, never been welded.

'er indoors keeps hankering after a replacement, but I've told her, whilst it passes the MOT and is reliable we are not changing it. I'm not a number plate snob.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 22:01   #9330
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Yes, it is a Mk 4 Zetec S 1,25. The engine is still good, never been touched apart from timing belts and oil changes every 7,000mls. New clutch fitted back in the summer, the original only lasted 170,000mls! Lots of front suspension arms replaced and top mounts recently done for the first time. Body is now getting scruffy, but still solid underneath, never been welded.

'er indoors keeps hankering after a replacement, but I've told her, whilst it passes the MOT and is reliable we are not changing it. I'm not a number plate snob.
Here, here!
I get fed up of people saying to me, "why have you still got that old Volvo? Thought you'd have a new car by now".
Why would I want a 65 plate eurobox, while I have a perfectly decent 12 year old in the drive?

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage