Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BRC LPG kit / LPG for a 2.4T XC70?

Views : 2712

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2016, 16:57   #1
ChristoT

Default BRC LPG kit / LPG for a 2.4T XC70?

Afternoon all!

I'm thinking of fitting an LPG kit to my 2001 2.4T V70XC. A colleague at work is selling a BRC Sequent 24 full kit, and I was wondering if I could fit that to mine? What ECUs / injectors do people use?

Any advice gratefully received!
ChristoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 09:43   #2
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

But why? Where is the logic. Unless you do galactic miles, and can do this conversion for under £4-500 all in, (possible but unlikely) what will you have in the finish?

A conversion that costs in hard-earned, a large proportion of what the car is worth anyway? Why? And it won't be worth £50 more than it is now, done? Again I ask why?
Just buy an already done & converted car, if that is your heart's desire, and start saving from the off.

If you car has say 130,000 on it now, toe get your conversion cost back you'll see closer to 170,000, and the inherent risks of getting to 170,000. Why not buy the car done. You''l likley get this for less than he's asking. He's swallowed the hit, not you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-VOLVO...EAAOSw8gVX-5D4

Explain your logic. Except in pure willy-waving, where's the sense in it. Excepting a few a caveats, you won't save money...

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 1st, 2016 at 09:58.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 09:53   #3
ChristoT

I do do pretty heavy mileage, and most of it is dual carriageway. Currently, I only get about 400 miles per tank, and I'm spending close to £50 a week on petrol. With my mileage, the conversion should pay for itself within 1 - 2yrs.

I can get a large number of components together quite cheaply, if I get the BRC Sequent kit, then add bits on. I'm not worried about depreciation, I'm interested in looking after the car until it dies, and trying to reduce overheads during this time.

I am not unfortunately in a position to change my car (can't afford to for one!), so conversion seems the easiest way forward.

I should add that when I'm not commuting, the car is lumping a hang glider up and down the country!

Last edited by ChristoT; Nov 1st, 2016 at 09:59.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 10:03   #4
ChristoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Saw the ad yesterday. The exact same model as mine, but mine is 190,000 miles. And I don't have £2,000 to throw at a new car.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 16:33   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

First need establish if the system is going to be compatible.
What car did it come off?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 17:07   #6
ChristoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
First need establish if the system is going to be compatible.
What car did it come off?
Sounds like it won't be compatible, as the Sequent 24 is for 2 and 4 cylinder engines. Rats!

ClassicSwede, any advice on best ways forward with LPG conversion? Worth the investment to modify, or buy one already done (as advocated by CNGBiFuel)?
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 22:58   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If you have a car you know then makes sense to convert that. Most LPG converted cars are being sold because there are issues with them.

If you are after BRC then I have kit that came off a 5 cyl. I stay clear of BRC myself
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 23:01   #8
ChristoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post

If you are after BRC then I have kit that came off a 5 cyl. I stay clear of BRC myself
How come? What don't you like about them?
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 11:03   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

So.. let's face it? The reality. It's a clunker, agreed a better clunker than mine for example but a clunker nonetheless. You'll get £1800 on a good day.

For that, get rid. Buy something cheaper that is LPG done. Being wary of classics comments, (I'm sure he's right) make sure it runs LPG smoothly in a 20 min test drive.
There's cars alrady done with sub 150K on them all day long. There's a V70 2003 with 79K on it for £2100 now. Sell the clunker for £1500, buy that instead of spending moeny you'll never see again on a conversion, and have a better car into the deal.

A 2001 car might have the poison gearbox issue, so won't get to the 240,000 odd you'll need to see you return anyway. Whereas that 79Ker (2003 see) will.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...%20Fuel&page=1

Fancy this one myself.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 2nd, 2016 at 11:06.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 11:09   #10
ChristoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
A 2001 car might have the poison gearbox issue, so won't get to the 240,000 odd you'll need to see you return anyway. Whereas that 79Ker (2003 see) will.
Sorry to go off topic (on my own thread!), but what poison issue is that? First I've heard about it on the manual cars (heard about the dodgy Geartonic units though).