Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New member...looking at the T8

Views : 5244

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2021, 22:58   #31
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Similarly I used to do the same when pulling off my estate onto what is a fast roundabout, especially in the morning when the engine has not been started yet. However of late I have devised a new method. Squash the brake pedal hard with your clutch foot and blip the throttle. The engine will immediately start and run for a minute or so to warm up. The engine will then be running already when I take my chance at the roundabout so eliminates the minor lag. I find it quicker and easier than dropping into power mode and then remembering to put it back into Hybrid.

Isn't that starting the launch control procedure? Might need to be careful you don't engage it - I think it's available on all the SPA cars but not sure.
>> Volvo Launch Control<<

On the PE you hold the brake hard in any mode but pure and bury the throttle, the car will drop down like it's "brake boosting" but then come back up and the revs will hold. You have to release the brake within a few secs or it cancels but there's a finite counter for the number of launches - apparently ~200 times.

As to the OP's question on hesitation, I find the motor fills in any issues with performance unless you're really struggling and then I will put the car in Polestar engineered mode.

Interestingly I have a 2019 T5 S60 inscription today as my car is with the dealer (charge port not letting go of the cable - classed as essential as I can't disconnect my car from the house when it happens). According to the spec sheet it's 250bhp and it's surprisingly athletic compared to my V60PE which I would put at having far less weight which makes up to some extent to being down on power, but the real thing that stuck me immediately was how sluggish "off the mark" the T5 feels. Also how much it wallows in the corners and how slidy the "comfort" seats are but that's another matter.

Considering how much extra weight the T8/PE drags around it really does show how much difference the motor makes to the day to day driving experience.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amadan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 00:13   #32
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post
Isn't that starting the launch control procedure? Might need to be careful you don't engage it - I think it's available on all the SPA cars but not sure.

On the PE you hold the brake hard in any mode but pure and bury the throttle, the car will drop down like it's "brake boosting" but then come back up and the revs will hold. You have to release the brake within a few secs or it cancels but there's a finite counter for the number of launches - apparently ~200 times.
Well I did not know Volvo had introduced a launch mode. Its not in the manual for the 2020 car so must be new this year.

Not sure under what circs I would be using launch mode on a Volvo though!!!
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 06:48   #33
jarm

Thanks for the info about launch control. Didn't know that either. I have MY20 XC90 T8 and there's nothing in the manual about launch control.

Without knowing there's a separate launch control function, I have followed the exact procedure when after max acceleration. Done it few times only. Also I found, if I put the get into B1, it will rev higher through all the gears. When in D or B, it will short shift.
jarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 11:17   #34
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Well I did not know Volvo had introduced a launch mode. Its not in the manual for the 2020 car so must be new this year.

Not sure under what circs I would be using launch mode on a Volvo though!!!
It’s very poorly advertised- I found it in the manual section of the VOC app but not on the paper one or the one in the Sensus.

I raised the question on the Swedespeed forum when I found it here as there’s more “performance” oriented chats there than here but even there the conversation was a bit decisive.

It’s also mentioned at 2:12 on this YouTube review here..

I’ve only done it 3 or 4 times but it’s definitely more aggressive that a standard “brake boost” start but not something that’s really necessary or advisable on public roads.

As a slight update to my comments on the T5 yesterday - I got a good run this morning without traffic on the way to the dealers - really impressive considering the list price was 1/2 of my cars list price but you really miss the ERAD which does a massive amount to cover the not so great auto box!
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amadan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 20:27   #35
Guymcc

So what about high milers? What are the issues with them? Interior wear? Etc? Ive read about the ERAD giving problems. Anything else they are known for? And when/what mileage are the major services?
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 12:18   #36
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
So what about high milers? What are the issues with them? Interior wear? Etc? Ive read about the ERAD giving problems. Anything else they are known for? And when/what mileage are the major services?
Mine has done 112k miles over 5 years. Interior is all in good shape. Very little bit of wear on drivers seat bolster and on door arm. Sports seats seem to suffer wear. My Amber Nappa normal seats have been fine.

Services are 18k miles or one year.

interim on odd years, major on even years.

280 quid for interim, 500 for major. After 8 years or 144k miles it is cam belt as well as major service. Budget just over a grand for that.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 12:22   #37
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post

As to the OP's question on hesitation, I find the motor fills in any issues with performance unless you're really struggling and then I will put the car in Polestar engineered mode.

Interestingly I have a 2019 T5 S60 inscription today as my car is with the dealer (charge port not letting go of the cable - classed as essential as I can't disconnect my car from the house when it happens). According to the spec sheet it's 250bhp and it's surprisingly athletic compared to my V60PE which I would put at having far less weight which makes up to some extent to being down on power, but the real thing that stuck me immediately was how sluggish "off the mark" the T5 feels. Also how much it wallows in the corners and how slidy the "comfort" seats are but that's another matter.

Considering how much extra weight the T8/PE drags around it really does show how much difference the motor makes to the day to day driving experience.
Thanks for this info. I didn't know about launch control so this is interesting.

I am definitely not activating it (don't think I have it on MY16 anyway). I am just putting enough load on the system to start the ICE which is easy to do by being just a little bit sharp on the throttle. Easy enough to do even by mistake.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 12:55   #38
Guymcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Mine has done 112k miles over 5 years. Interior is all in good shape. Very little bit of wear on drivers seat bolster and on door arm. Sports seats seem to suffer wear. My Amber Nappa normal seats have been fine.

Services are 18k miles or one year.

interim on odd years, major on even years.

280 quid for interim, 500 for major. After 8 years or 144k miles it is cam belt as well as major service. Budget just over a grand for that.
Thank Philip, so servicing is similar to the discovery costs wise. Long time for a belt! Although, wont be looking to buy a high miler, probably around 40k hopefully. Cheers
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 13:43   #39
Guymcc

Next question... air suspension.... do most not have it and if they do, was it park of an option pack or did you have to spec it individually...... from the sounds of it, its a nice thing to have... but not seeing much mention of it in adverts..
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 19:24   #40
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
Next question... air suspension.... do most not have it and if they do, was it park of an option pack or did you have to spec it individually...... from the sounds of it, its a nice thing to have... but not seeing much mention of it in adverts..
I don't have it and don't miss it. Not sure if there have been any reliability issues but it is of course something else to go wrong. As I have 19inch 55 profile tyres I value comfort and durability over looks and sportiness.