Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Pressure

Views : 2017

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2017, 10:22   #11
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
Which is why i suggested fitting a PX gauge to determine if low oil pressure is the problem , if its a healthy 60 PSii not much point the OP paying someone sixty quid a hour to strip the motor down

Slightly different matter if you can do it yourself and enjoy lying under a car covered in oil skinning your knuckles in sub zero temperatures ....
If I understand the OP's first post correctly the engine in question has only done 37K miles and has been dealer maintained.

I agree that the oil pressure should be checked, although low oil pressure warning lights are very reliable.

Another good check would be to send a used oil sample to an oil analysis lab (20 quid plus postage), that would show if fuel or anti freeze contamination was thinning the oil and it would also give a good idea of main bearing wear issues.
If it shows up high levels of Iron but all the other wear metals are OK, the oil pump is failing, although that's unlikely.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 08:13   #12
Oilrag

Many thanks for all the replies. I should of written in my post that the car only sounds lumpy when accelerating over 2300rpm eg overtaking, for all other driving the car sounds fine.
I have flushed the engine and put in 05 40 oil. I still have the same problem as before but the light goes out at 1000rpm. When accelerating over 2300rmp it sounds fine but I have only driven it 70 miles so far.
I am going to take the car next week to the Volvo garage to try and get the oil pressure checked.
Oilrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 08:54   #13
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Id suggest that if you did indeed have worn main shells ,big end shells and crank journals then then it would be evident constantly , Could be something less serious hopefully , Let us know the outcome
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 08:35   #14
Oilrag

Hi. Many thanks for all your comments. Update. I booked the car into our local Peugeot garage ( the Vovo garage is an hours drive.) I showed him the problem with the oil light and gave him a brief history of the car and what we had done to it.
They kept the car for a day and cleaned out the engine using a machine called a Flexfuel.(which uses hydrogen to clean the engine it is a French company that makes them)
It also had a diagnostic check.
The mechanic said the engine was fine and the oil.
It has not solved the issue of the oil light but the car is definitely better, the total cost was 115 € . I will still be monitoring the light situation but I am a lot happier that it has been checked. If anything changes I will post again.
Oilrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:17   #15
9000rpm

Hi,

did you ever get to the bottom of this? my wife's C30 2.0d we have just bought has started doing this but the engine sounds fine.
going to drop the oil tomorrow to have a look.
9000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote