Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault code diagnosis

Views : 1272

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2020, 21:43   #1
Dmac78
Dmac78

Default Fault code diagnosis

Evening all, hope your all well and enjoying great weather! I am the proud owner of an xc90 D5. I try to do as much maintenance as possible but I'm definitely struggling to shift a persistent one. I'm hoping some of the experienced contributers will be able to better understand the following fault codes.

2BAA- particulate filter no value
2850- lambda sensor faulty
1507- turbo control pressure too low

My dpf has been force regened as I cant get out of safety mode long enough to do it automatically. I've removed and cleaned both Lambda and pressure sensor on dpf, both still reoccurring.
My problems started and after I'd done what I could I went to garage to confirm my thoughts and hope's of a leaking vacum pipe. They reckoned the issues were swirl flap connected I replaced them, they were pretty clogged up as was egr which I cleaned at the time. I then replaced swirl flap actuator as it was reportingly sticking, and generating faulty signal.
I do not have Vida and not aware of anyone in ayrshire that does apart from dealer.
My next plan is to request smoke test, as I cannot find a leak anywhere, also replaced the resonater seals. Its proving difficult to track leak as it only hisses when under load, eg accelerating or on a hill.

Any more suggestions as I really need to get her running fully again. I had hoped dpf was symptomatic of other codes leading to safety mode.
Dmac78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 20:12   #2
Dmac78
Dmac78

Default Update

I took the volvo to an indy, the conclusion was that there is still an issue with swirl / Egr. Failing that suggested taking it to volvo to diagnose. He done 2 regens as it wouldnt go through full cycle.
Despite replacing the swirl flap rod. I used an aftermarket replacement set the mechanic suggested stripping it all down again and checking eveything is set as it should be. I done this today. The swirl flaps spin with very friction. I then strippined down the egr to fully clean it. Last time was a spray of carb cleaner. A dirty hour or so later i put it together. Soon as i reconnected battery and turned ignition the actuator stuck code came up, this cleared after and adaption was completed.

Soon afterwards engine service light came on 135F maf sensor faulty signal, I reset and same error code came up. I ran maf adaption and set off again for slightly longer journey, only to get safe mode and the following two codes repeatedly coming up:

1507 Turbo Control Low pressure
2BAA Particulate Filter

Same as before. Any suggestions would be appreciaited, this problem has taken a ton of my time and i only have a few suggestions left:

1. Swirl flap kit not as good a fit as it should be (but cannot see any play, sticky points through motion)
2. DPF blocked and causing issues boost issue and 2Baa code?
3. Would a vacuum leak cause these issues? Possibly on tubes going to engine mounts? The Resonator is solid.
4. Light a match and walk away!!

Any help much appreciated
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 11:33   #3
gmonag
Premier Member

Before you change or clean any more parts, get the codes read with VIDA. Generic codes are misleading and you will waste many £s on wild-goose chases and guesswork.

Once you have VIDA codes you can start with a methodical diagnosis. It is the ONLY way

What year/model is your car?

Last edited by gmonag; Jun 7th, 2020 at 11:36.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmonag For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 20:14   #4
Dmac78
Dmac78

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply, i dont have vida or know anyone that does. I'll message Cheshired5 see if I can buy one from him. Defo worrh the investment as the car ages a bit.
I have an 2010 plate xc90 D5, Engine D5244T, solid cars sesperate to get her running again!
Update when vida codes sourced

David
Old Jun 9th, 2020, 20:58   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

Your friendly neighbourhood Volvo dealer will do it for you (at a cost!)
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 23:01   #6
Dmac78
Dmac78

Default Update

Many thanks to Cheshired5 for very prompt delivery of vida order!
So i have cleared the codes and been for a few runs
The two repetative codes are
ECM 135F maf sensor signal too low
ECM 1507 Turbo control - too low pressure
Together these would suggest an air leak, i cannot locate any despite a good amount searching. I am still confident the resonator is solid.
Think the charge air cooler possibly the source of the leak, ks there a good chance it could be the cause?
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 14:02   #7
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac78 View Post
Many thanks to Cheshired5 for very prompt delivery of vida order!
So i have cleared the codes and been for a few runs
The two repetative codes are
ECM 135F maf sensor signal too low
ECM 1507 Turbo control - too low pressure
Together these would suggest an air leak, i cannot locate any despite a good amount searching. I am still confident the resonator is solid.
Think the charge air cooler possibly the source of the leak, ks there a good chance it could be the cause?
I agree with your thouights around an air leak but there is quite a bit of missing information in your post which would help diagnose:

1) Vehicle age & mileage
2) Oil consumpotion / OMPDMM (Oil Miles Per Dipstic Max to Min!)
3) Fuel Economy
4) Service history - have you changed the air filter with a quality part?

With this information it will be more helpful to help diagnose.

What i would say on the information we have is that the turbo reporting low pressure (assuming that it is in good condition) could be firectly connected to the MAF incorrectly reporting air flow/restricted air flow. Other than that then it could be the charged air side leaking which can only be dested really with a smoke test or pressure test.

If it was my car i would have the under guard off and do a visual inspection of the charged air pipes, jubilee clips etc and make sure that there is no obvius leaks inb the charged air side.

I would then check the intercooler for any obvous damage corrosion.

POrobably then i would buy a new MAF to remove that part being faoult from the equation before i delved deeper into more serious and more expensive issues.
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 18:29   #8
Dmac78
Dmac78

Default Sorted

After rechecking all intake pipes for leaks and resonator seals etc again I wanted to check intercooler as it was only part I had not checked. No obvious leaks but it was time to bite the bullet and take to garage. They confirmed there was indeed a difficult to spot split on the intercooler and I had them replace it as weather is terrible and time limited. £440 all in, felt expensive but has resolved the problem.
Collected the car today and she is running well with good acceleration and no sign of limp mode or the fault codes!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dmac78 For This Useful Post: