Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition/Starter Switch problem.

Views : 601

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2017, 22:16   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Ignition/Starter Switch problem.

That's what Haynes states is the name of the part.
XC70, 2011, D5, auto, AWD, 88,000 miles.
Recently acquired by daughter from main dealer. Volvo Selekt.
We have no previous experience of this system and I cannot find any threads regarding this, nor can I find any similar switch on the parts sites I normally search.
It has a "key" device which is introduced into a slot on the facia and is then drawn in. Then with the gear selector in "P" and the footbrake depressed press the engine start/stop button adjacent to the slot to start the engine.
After stopping the engine, with selector in park and handbrake on. To withdraw the "key" gently push it in and it should partially eject itself so that it can be removed from the slot.
Last Thursday the "key" partially ejected itself but could not be removed from the slot. After double and triple checking that selector was in "P" and handbrake was on etc.we were forced to summon Volvo Assist. (Membership courtesy of service plan with main dealer.)
Volvo Assist arrived and eventually removed the "key" but were subsequently able to induce the fault again using both "keys". The operative showed us the two depressions, one on each side of the "key" and explained that these are used by the the switch mechanism to draw the "key" in and later to eject it but it seems that the mechanism is not releasing them upon ejection, so preventing the removal of the key. Therefore there is a fault in the Ignition/Starter Switch and car needs to go to dealer.
Car was taken to dealer the following morning and XC60 replacement arranged by Volvo Assist.
Dealer has reported today the the Ignition/Starter Switch Motor is faulty and a replacement should be delivered overnight tonight to be fitted first thing tomorrow morning and to collect the car at 10.30 am. We are hoping that this will be covered by the 12 month warranty.
Does any one have any previous experience of this?
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 16:00   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

If you have Volvo Selekt you should have no quibbles whatsoever. We had a new sat nav unit supplied and fitted FOC because it would not accept a system upgrade upload. Up to that point we had been unaware that there was anything wrong as the sat nav worked perfectly. Volvo just ordered a new unit for over £300 and fitted it without a murmur. Selekt is probably the best second hand car warranty that there is.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 16:24   #3
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Update. Car fixed.

I wasn't aware that my daughter had already started a thread about this in General Discussions.
In that thread Simon Jones suggests that the fault lies with the key socket motor and he is spot on.
Yes Tatsfield, no quibbles and no charge. Warranty was never even mentioned.
The repair was done very quickly. I wonder if that was because the Volvo Assist hire car was only for 4 days and any longer would have been chargeable to the dealer or am I being cynical?
Given that we would rather this had not happened at all I cannot fault the service we have received.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2017, 19:05   #4
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I wasn't aware that my daughter had already started a thread about this in General Discussions.
In that thread Simon Jones suggests that the fault lies with the key socket motor and he is spot on.
Yes Tatsfield, no quibbles and no charge. Warranty was never even mentioned.
The repair was done very quickly. I wonder if that was because the Volvo Assist hire car was only for 4 days and any longer would have been chargeable to the dealer or am I being cynical?
Given that we would rather this had not happened at all I cannot fault the service we have received.
This is it, 2 days car hire when I used them and the car was fixed ASAP.
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote