Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boost question 1998 t5

Views : 681

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2021, 23:07   #1
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default Boost question 1998 t5

Hi a friend of mine has a 1998 v70 t5 manual he's not on here so has asked me to post for him the car has an under boost issue he's replaced the tcv and borrowed my smoke Pro to check vacuum and boost pipes for leaks and all good the car is ex police and has covered nearly 325k I suggested that the wastegate unit could have a weak spring he is borrowing my mitivac tomorrow to test does anyone know what pressure it should start to open and what pressure should it be fully open the car has the ME7 engine management system
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 09:27   #2
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc1267 View Post
Hi a friend of mine has a 1998 v70 t5 manual he's not on here so has asked me to post for him the car has an under boost issue he's replaced the tcv and borrowed my smoke Pro to check vacuum and boost pipes for leaks and all good the car is ex police and has covered nearly 325k I suggested that the wastegate unit could have a weak spring he is borrowing my mitivac tomorrow to test does anyone know what pressure it should start to open and what pressure should it be fully open the car has the ME7 engine management system
Although the wastegate spring could be the cause, they don't often give trouble. More likely is either a split diaphragm or weak spring in the TRV (turbo recirculating valve). Rebuild kits are freely available.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 17:34   #3
sdg1970
Master Member

When this happened to me (similar car) it turned out to be the throttle body hose had a 2inch crack in it. I also replaced several vac hoses, the TCV and the TRV with a Forge Motorsports uprated version. I also replaced all the boost hoses with scilicone ones and the main intake (black plastic one) pipe. It now boosts to 16psi max with the remap I have on it.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 14:25   #4
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
Although the wastegate spring could be the cause, they don't often give trouble. More likely is either a split diaphragm or weak spring in the TRV (turbo recirculating valve). Rebuild kits are freely available.

Regards
John
The TRV was blanked with an aluminium blank as it failed ages ago he has smoked and the intake and vac system and has no leaks he has a boost gauge fitted what should it read at full boost
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 16:42   #5
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc1267 View Post
The TRV was blanked with an aluminium blank as it failed ages ago he has smoked and the intake and vac system and has no leaks he has a boost gauge fitted what should it read at full boost
Generally not a good idea to run with a blanked off TRV unless you are relieving the excess boost pressure upon throttle lift off via a dump valve of some sort. The excess pressure flows back into the turbo causing turbine flutter which can damage the turbo bearings and blades over time (some turbos are tolerant of this but TD-04's don't have the strongest of bearings compared to others) and also increases lag when reapplying throttle as the back pressure slows down the turbo.

Full boost should be around 9 to 9.5 psi - don't expect to achieve this over the entire rev range, i.e. at lower revs, and it can slacken off a little at very high revs on the standard ECU mapping. Also note, that some boost gauges can be notoriously inaccurate.

If you are sure that all pipes are leak tight (even tiny leaks can make a significant difference) then that only leaves the wastegate from what you have said. As a previous poster has said, replacing everything with silicone hoses (vac pipes, turbo hoses, etc.) is good practice and closely inspect all of the "hard piping" for cracks. I had the main turbo pipe from turbo outlet to intercooler develop a small split on my C70 T5 many years ago. Also, check all the blanking caps on the vacuum tree are in place and tight.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 17:20   #6
sdg1970
Master Member

I must also add that the smoke test isn't neccessarily a reliable indicator imo. I was ripping my hair out trying to find the problem on mine (around 3 years back) and resorted to having a local garage smoke test it. They did so and apparently found nothing, so I continued on with the car and it's inability to boost over 7psi and a chronic 'wooshing' noise coming off boost.

A few days later I disassembled the throttle body (at that point I'd only replaced about half of what I said in my previous post) and found the hose had a near 2 inch burst in it that the garage and their oh so good smoke testing hadn't detected. Just be aware is all I'm saying...
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 01:36   #7
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1970 View Post
I must also add that the smoke test isn't neccessarily a reliable indicator imo. I was ripping my hair out trying to find the problem on mine (around 3 years back) and resorted to having a local garage smoke test it. They did so and apparently found nothing, so I continued on with the car and it's inability to boost over 7psi and a chronic 'wooshing' noise coming off boost.

A few days later I disassembled the throttle body (at that point I'd only replaced about half of what I said in my previous post) and found the hose had a near 2 inch burst in it that the garage and their oh so good smoke testing hadn't detected. Just be aware is all I'm saying...
I'll have a look with him over the weekend. Maybe run some live data while driving to see what boost the Ecu thinks it is running and compare that to the gauge. I did think that the ME7 would put the MIL on and store a code for under boost or intake system leak or maybe lambda system to lean but nothing
The intercooler has been replaced a while ago with a billet replacement and all is hard piped with silicone bends and joints and all so hard piped from MAF to turbo charger I think the only original pipe is the plastic one going uder and up to the throttle body because at the time no one made an aftermarket pipe I think it wS because of the sensors that clipped into it think from memory theres 2 one temperature and one pressure it does have a recirculating dump valve fitted and he blanked that off at the beginning of the saga
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 07:51   #8
sdg1970
Master Member

I'm assuming it's a very late 98 car if it's ME7? Mine never threw the MIL either, but it's obviously Mojo 4.4.

Keep us updated anyway, would be good to know what the problem is.

Last edited by sdg1970; Jun 24th, 2021 at 07:55.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 14:28   #9
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1970 View Post
I'm assuming it's a very late 98 car if it's ME7? Mine never threw the MIL either, but it's obviously Mojo 4.4.

Keep us updated anyway, would be good to know what the problem is.
It's definitely ME7 I had the throttle valve rebuilt for him
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 19:03   #10
andrewc1267
Master Member

There's definitely no vacuum or boost leaks does anyone have a vacuum system diagram so I can check that it is plumb in correctly