Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4 - 140 to 170 remap

Views : 2097

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2021, 22:23   #1
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Default 2.4 - 140 to 170 remap

I have tried to search for the answered already but it seems remapping discussions mostly revolve around the T's and R's

quite simply I have a 2.4 which Im pretty sure is a 140bhp (is there any easy way to be sure?) and would prefer it to be 170 (for whatever minimal difference that makes)

'Conventional wisdom' is apparently that the internals are identical and it's purely a software thing

so.. is it worth the £2-300 quid to get it done, will it knacker anything else?

no current faults that I'm aware of. recent service and oil/belt change, being properly looked after etc

thanks

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 23:25   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Default Not 100% certain but...

This type of question has been asked before...but along time ago. IIRC the bottom line was there was very little "real world" difference between the 140 and 170 engines as the extra umph was at the top of the rev range above that of the 140. ie if you did not rev above say 5k+ both engines were very similar. In fact I seem to recall there were very minor benefits at lower revs with the 140 engine - but I may be mixing that up with the old Volvo 850' s 10 valve and 20 valve engines.

Check out old Volvo online brochures in PDF format for engine details.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 01:09   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Ah that's interesting.. thanks

the main reason Im thinking of it is ive noticed on the motorway it has a definite 'peak' when overtaking or planting it a bit on an empty stretch, you get to a certain rev range and it just runs out of steam

below that, at normal sub 70 speeds I know it's not particularly fast, my previous 2ltr scooby had way more poke, but to be honest it's enough for a decent family car that compromises size and economy

I'm not trying to race it or anything but just thought it would be nice to have a little more up the top instead of a sudden flattening of the curve as it were

mini project - link
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 01:29   #4
reggit
Premier Member

Look at the 6th and 7th numbers in the vin number. This is the engine type fitted.

61 - B5244S - 170bhp
65 - B5244S2 - 140bhp

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_70.shtml
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 06:43   #5
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
Ah that's interesting.. thanks

the main reason Im thinking of it is ive noticed on the motorway it has a definite 'peak' when overtaking or planting it a bit on an empty stretch, you get to a certain rev range and it just runs out of steam
That might have to do with the engine condition, worth inspecting spark plugs, intake air thermostat (see Youtube), PCV, maybe clean the injectors with ultrasound
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 10:19   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Look at the 6th and 7th numbers in the vin number
Thanks definitely 140 then

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
That might have to do with the engine condition, worth inspecting spark plugs, intake air thermostat (see Youtube), PCV, maybe clean the injectors with ultrasound
Thanks for this also will bear these in mind and do some checks

mini project - link
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 16:05   #7
Cento16v

I have a BSR Softloader which will upload maps to your car.
I believe it can be reused so if you had it, you would just need to buy the Map from BSR, download it to the unit and plug it in.

It also works as a full fault code reader like a ICarsoft 906.

I'll find it if you can see if it will work from BSR and sell you it as I don't have a Volvo any longer
Cento16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 18:59   #8
ele288

Or just get ecu from 170 and copy your immo eeprom to it. It's the chippest way
ele288 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 10:03   #9
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
Or just get ecu from 170 and copy your immo eeprom to it. It's the chippest way
thanks that's an interesting solution but I'll be honest, Im not really up for messing about with the ECU's to that extent, I was hoping for more of a 'get someone to plug in and do it' quick kind of solution

Mainly because my car cant afford to be out of action longer than a day or two at the weekend because I rely on it for work and kids

still, useful to have it listed here as an option if others are researching

mini project - link
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 21:23   #10
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I have tried to search for the answered already but it seems remapping discussions mostly revolve around the T's and R's

quite simply I have a 2.4 which Im pretty sure is a 140bhp (is there any easy way to be sure?) and would prefer it to be 170 (for whatever minimal difference that makes)

'Conventional wisdom' is apparently that the internals are identical and it's purely a software thing

so.. is it worth the £2-300 quid to get it done, will it knacker anything else?

no current faults that I'm aware of. recent service and oil/belt change, being properly looked after etc

thanks
Depends on mileage, if higher, things like clutches and weakened bits can start to let go. I'd leave the girl alone.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote