Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Annoying sunroof rattle :(

Views : 3510

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2018, 10:02   #1
JC888

Default Annoying sunroof rattle :(

Initially I thought it was because of the colder weather where the pano sunroof in my previous Merc would rattle.

I've applied plenty of lubricant where possible (Gummi Pflege) but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

It only rattles when the sunroof is fully closed (and shade fully opened).
When tilted it rattles slightly but not as bad as when it's closed.
The rattling sounds like glass vibrating. I did a quick push test and sunroof doesn't feel like it's loose.

Not much I can find on Google except for 2 links below. One which looks like it's for older sunroof type and the other doesn't have pictures anymore...
I think I've found a forum where someone suggested applying some felt tape around the trims as well but not much info on that.

Wondering if anyone can advise? Rattle is not loud per se but I like silence in my car and the constant rattling is annoying me...

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-rattle-37621/

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=176304
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 10:17   #2
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC888 View Post
Initially I thought it was because of the colder weather where the pano sunroof in my previous Merc would rattle.

I've applied plenty of lubricant where possible (Gummi Pflege) but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

It only rattles when the sunroof is fully closed (and shade fully opened).
When tilted it rattles slightly but not as bad as when it's closed.
The rattling sounds like glass vibrating. I did a quick push test and sunroof doesn't feel like it's loose.

Not much I can find on Google except for 2 links below. One which looks like it's for older sunroof type and the other doesn't have pictures anymore...
I think I've found a forum where someone suggested applying some felt tape around the trims as well but not much info on that.

Wondering if anyone can advise? Rattle is not loud per se but I like silence in my car and the constant rattling is annoying me...

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-rattle-37621/

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=176304
Not experienced any rattle from the sunroof itself. Very occasionally a rattle starts from the sunblind when it is fully open, shutting it slightly and re-opening stops it.

:wq
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 11:04   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

It might be the wind break at the front of the sunroof thats rattling against something or something loose in the channel, I have not experienced any rattles in mine. Can you tell what area the rattle is coming from.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 11:34   #4
Gneissnz

This may help...
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-driver-window

From the XC90 forums, but I think the roof is the same in both models.
Gneissnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 14:06   #5
JC888

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
It might be the wind break at the front of the sunroof thats rattling against something or something loose in the channel, I have not experienced any rattles in mine. Can you tell what area the rattle is coming from.
Hard to tell as I'm driving at the time, all I can tell is that the rattle disappears if the sunroof is completely opened (not tilted) so don't think it will be the sun shade.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 16:15   #6
Neil S

I get the same, the blind rattles when open so you have to keep opening and closing it a small distance to get it to stop. Drives me mad along with the creaking driver's door. Dealer has failed to sort it on three visits.

How these things get past testing is a mystery to me. The testers must be deaf.
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 10:14   #7
JC888

I've applied some felt tapes where I could on the blind and this seemed to have made the rattles better.
I can still hear it from time to time but not as noticeable.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 12:31   #8
Jackysi

I also have rattle on the sunroof. Seems like its coming from passenger side and if I put finger between rear glass and rubber seal it seems to quiet down/disappear. I took off whole "moving" glass and tried moving the glass up/down to get better it to "seal" better or basically push down the rubber better and for some time it was much better. Now it got back and its annoying the heck out of me. I tried again but can't archive "quietness" again.

I talked to dealer, they didn't know how to fix it either. Its driving me nuts. And I don't care about other "small" rattles, but this one can be heard while listening to music, so its really annoying!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191208_232844.jpg (193.9 KB, 73 views)
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 20:24   #9
warwick

No rattle in the roof of my XC60 but as per JC888 pano roof in last car a Merc drove me up the wall.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 00:31   #10
tis456

Hi Jackysi, in my 2019 XC60 the rattle comes from the inside metal edge of the two black beams in your photo. Funny though on fairly smooth road. Hardly hear it on bumpy roads.
If I press the front beam (nearest your pointing finger) a couple of times quickly I get the same sound as whilst I am driving. (click click click)
It is the two beams hitting each other over the passenger side. (because its loose)
The noise goes away if I open the roof in tilt mode.
No noise of driver's side.
So annoying, but I guess I don't want Volvo to try and fix in case the fix is worst than the issue.
tis456 is offline   Reply With Quote