Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2016 won't start, locked in park

Views : 14398

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2019, 10:34   #11
gaby
Premier Member

It happened to me once, although the gearbox was in N, not in P.
After some cursing, I found that the gearselector was in manual position.
A simple push to the right solved the problem
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 11:03   #12
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucan View Post
you would kindof expect a recovery company to know such a simple thing like that really wouldnt you.
They may well know. Everyone in the trade should know that there is always a bypass to the park lock. They may well have wanted the money.

But really, this is a lesson to read the manual at least once, so that the driver has a good idea of how stuff works and where to reference stuff. It can save a lot of money and inconvenience.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 11:40   #13
Simon Eames
Complete Technophobe

Smile

Thanks so much to you all for your prompt advice. The most useful info here was (a) the fact that it can be shifted out of park therefore no crane lift required and (b) the suggestion that is could be a faulty brake sensor. Based on that advice you have saved me +/- £300 on a crane lift recovery and I have simply asked a local mechanic to come out and fit a new brake sensor on site. I'm new to this community, but I'm really impressed and grateful for all your advice. Cheers
Simon Eames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 14:36   #14
LordLucan

Glad you got it sorted. Did they narrow it down to a faulty switch or are you taking the chance that it was the problem?
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 15:16   #15
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Eames View Post
Thanks so much to you all for your prompt advice. The most useful info here was (a) the fact that it can be shifted out of park therefore no crane lift required and (b) the suggestion that is could be a faulty brake sensor. Based on that advice you have saved me +/- £300 on a crane lift recovery and I have simply asked a local mechanic to come out and fit a new brake sensor on site. I'm new to this community, but I'm really impressed and grateful for all your advice. Cheers

Hi Simon, whilst it could very easily be the brake sensor, without having the codes read you are now starting to guess with your wallet which can quickly become very expensive with no end result.

Hopefully for you it is the brake sensor , let us know.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Feb 4th, 2019 at 15:19.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 19:09   #16
Simon Eames
Complete Technophobe

Follow-up in case anyone is still looking at this thread:

It was not the brake sensor, but a complex software problem. The faults were unable to be fixed at roadside and the Volvo-trained mechanics (non-dealership) said there is NOT a way to unlock the parking brake. Therefore the wheels are locked and the vehicle IS going to need crane-lifting in order to recover to the nearest authorised Volvo dealership for a full software diagnosis and update. I shall update this thread with details of the eventual outcome...
Simon Eames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 19:55   #17
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Eames View Post
Follow-up in case anyone is still looking at this thread:

It was not the brake sensor, but a complex software problem. The faults were unable to be fixed at roadside and the Volvo-trained mechanics (non-dealership) said there is NOT a way to unlock the parking brake. Therefore the wheels are locked and the vehicle IS going to need crane-lifting in order to recover to the nearest authorised Volvo dealership for a full software diagnosis and update. I shall update this thread with details of the eventual outcome...
I'm confused. Is it the park lock or the 'handbrake' that is locked on? If the handbrake is locked on and there is a major software issue, you do indeed have a problem that may justify lifting the car. However, low voltage is often the cause of handbrakes being locked on. There are plenty of other potential reasons of course, including a firmware crash.

Keep in touch and do please let us know the outcome.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 20:47   #18
gaby
Premier Member

Give the car a reset? (disconnect minus of battery, drink tea or coffee, then reconnect).
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 21:03   #19
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Do the above before doing anything else, remove main battery negative lead wait 10 minutes reconnect then lock and unlock the car and try starting..
If it does not start you can also hold the start nob in start position for approx 5 seconds with foot off the brake until the main ignition comes on and then try to release brakes by turning auto hold off and releasing park brake.
(Just turning start and releasing it does not put ignition on it only puts the display screens on, you must hold the switch for several seconds until ignition and lights come on before releasing the start switch)
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 4th, 2019 at 21:11.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 21:11   #20
gaby
Premier Member

It may be useful to read the first posts on this topic here before proceding:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-start-battery
It is possible to disconnect at the sensor, but if not done carefully, it can be damaged.