Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Imported Volvos

Views : 2646

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2020, 09:31   #11
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I bought a Jap import Discovery V8 two years ago. As mentioned ^^^^ the Japanese really look after their cars well, and their MoT equivalent (the 'shaken' IIRC) is both very thorough and very expensive, so they have to be well maintained to be able to be kept on the road.

As housing is expensive and generally small, people tend to use their cars as an extended social space - meaning that they'll sit in them, listen to music, watch DVDs etc etc, but won't necessarily drive them that much - hence the recorded mileage is usually very low for the age of the vehicle. Because of them being used in this way, they are usually very very clean inside, but they are often also fitted with umpteen electronic gismos.

I've put a deposit down on a Japanese 850R which is on its way on the ship as I type. I certainly have no hesitation about buying a Jap import - they are usually in way way better condition than equivalent UK models of the same age. My Discovery is 18 years old now but looks like a 2 year old car. I've posted these elsewhere, but for your info, the following pics are of my UK 2001 Discovery V8 vs my Jap import 2002 Discovery V8 - there is 3 months between them, just that the UK one has been exposed to road salt, but the Japanese one has not...

Yes, thats the original chassis, not a replacement !

Insurance hasn't been an issue - I've found it simple to insure with Adrian Flux and Heritage.

Road tax has been a revelation As the Japanese cars come into the country without any links to UK exhaust emissions data (even though in my case it is absolutely identical to the UK model) they are put into a catch all taxation group - which is cheaper than the group for the UK Discovery. I paid £23/month for the Japanese V8 and £26 for the UK one IIRC. Pre 2001 cars will be on the same band of course, its only post 2001 cars that seem to end up in this position.

Valuation wise, there is a bit of stigma attached to Japanese imports in some circles - particularly facebook - but I honestly put it down to envy and irritation that these imports are coming into the country in droves now, so it will be harder to sell UK models as they will inevitably be in poorer condition. It can only mean that imported cars will hold their value better as they will inevitable be in better condition when we come to sell them. Yes, they will be lacking service history, but a stunning showroom condition trumps a wad of service receipts presented with a rusty car.

There is no argument over specifications either - the Japanese DEMAND the highest specs, so you won't find a basic entry-level car for sale in Japan. They'll always be top end specs. For example my Discovery is simply a 'V8i' model in Japan. The UK equivalent (and I know because I've owned them side by side) is the ES, which was the penultimate spec on the UK market barring special editions.

There are small detailed differences which you'll find - things like their automatic gearboxes have to have a shift interlock fitted. This means that you have to push the brake pedal down before you can move the selector out of Park. They tend to have factory tinted windows as standard - they'll either be slightly darker than UK spec, or very dark from the B/C pillar back.

Because it is so hot out there, you'll find that their tyres are made of a much harder compound and you'll need to budget for getting a fresh set as they're lethal in the rain lol. The heat degrades the convoluted tubing over wiring in the engine bay - it'll disintegrate to dust when you touch it. Similarly bonded windows will have degraded sealant that streaks badly down the bodywork when washed. That can be gouged out and refinished by a bodyshop, so its not a big deal.

To answer your query about underseal. The Japanese cars either don't get an underseal, or only a very thin one. Most UK importers will offer a waxoyl underseal as part of the deal, but I would still get it done professionally as soon as you can. The professionals will steam clean the underside and inject the waxoyl into cavities etc, whereas the importers will only give the underside a quick dusting - its eating into their profit of course

Otherwise, they're a very canny buy IMHO, and well worth the premium that you currently pay for them. I wouldn't hesitate if you find a car you like

One final trick for you ...
If you can find a picture of the car as it was back in Japan - maybe the importer is using the pictures taken over there in the advert - then you can use a Google search to find that picture on the web. I did that and found the original auction entry pics, along with the agent's inspection report - which in my case listed an ABS/TRACS lamp on, and the fact that the cambelt had been changed. These reports are in Japanese of course, but they're aware that English speaking people will be viewing/bidding at the auction so the notes are also in English.

HTH

Last edited by RollingThunder; Dec 18th, 2020 at 09:45.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 12:54   #12
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I bought a Jap import Discovery V8 two years ago. As mentioned ^^^^ the Japanese really look after their cars well, and their MoT equivalent (the 'shaken' IIRC) is both very thorough and very expensive, so they have to be well maintained to be able to be kept on the road.

As housing is expensive and generally small, people tend to use their cars as an extended social space - meaning that they'll sit in them, listen to music, watch DVDs etc etc, but won't necessarily drive them that much - hence the recorded mileage is usually very low for the age of the vehicle. Because of them being used in this way, they are usually very very clean inside, but they are often also fitted with umpteen electronic gismos.

I've put a deposit down on a Japanese 850R which is on its way on the ship as I type. I certainly have no hesitation about buying a Jap import - they are usually in way way better condition than equivalent UK models of the same age. My Discovery is 18 years old now but looks like a 2 year old car. I've posted these elsewhere, but for your info, the following pics are of my UK 2001 Discovery V8 vs my Jap import 2002 Discovery V8 - there is 3 months between them, just that the UK one has been exposed to road salt, but the Japanese one has not...

Yes, thats the original chassis, not a replacement !

Insurance hasn't been an issue - I've found it simple to insure with Adrian Flux and Heritage.

Road tax has been a revelation As the Japanese cars come into the country without any links to UK exhaust emissions data (even though in my case it is absolutely identical to the UK model) they are put into a catch all taxation group - which is cheaper than the group for the UK Discovery. I paid £23/month for the Japanese V8 and £26 for the UK one IIRC. Pre 2001 cars will be on the same band of course, its only post 2001 cars that seem to end up in this position.

Valuation wise, there is a bit of stigma attached to Japanese imports in some circles - particularly facebook - but I honestly put it down to envy and irritation that these imports are coming into the country in droves now, so it will be harder to sell UK models as they will inevitably be in poorer condition. It can only mean that imported cars will hold their value better as they will inevitable be in better condition when we come to sell them. Yes, they will be lacking service history, but a stunning showroom condition trumps a wad of service receipts presented with a rusty car.

There is no argument over specifications either - the Japanese DEMAND the highest specs, so you won't find a basic entry-level car for sale in Japan. They'll always be top end specs. For example my Discovery is simply a 'V8i' model in Japan. The UK equivalent (and I know because I've owned them side by side) is the ES, which was the penultimate spec on the UK market barring special editions.

There are small detailed differences which you'll find - things like their automatic gearboxes have to have a shift interlock fitted. This means that you have to push the brake pedal down before you can move the selector out of Park. They tend to have factory tinted windows as standard - they'll either be slightly darker than UK spec, or very dark from the B/C pillar back.

Because it is so hot out there, you'll find that their tyres are made of a much harder compound and you'll need to budget for getting a fresh set as they're lethal in the rain lol. The heat degrades the convoluted tubing over wiring in the engine bay - it'll disintegrate to dust when you touch it. Similarly bonded windows will have degraded sealant that streaks badly down the bodywork when washed. That can be gouged out and refinished by a bodyshop, so its not a big deal.

To answer your query about underseal. The Japanese cars either don't get an underseal, or only a very thin one. Most UK importers will offer a waxoyl underseal as part of the deal, but I would still get it done professionally as soon as you can. The professionals will steam clean the underside and inject the waxoyl into cavities etc, whereas the importers will only give the underside a quick dusting - its eating into their profit of course

Otherwise, they're a very canny buy IMHO, and well worth the premium that you currently pay for them. I wouldn't hesitate if you find a car you like

One final trick for you ...
If you can find a picture of the car as it was back in Japan - maybe the importer is using the pictures taken over there in the advert - then you can use a Google search to find that picture on the web. I did that and found the original auction entry pics, along with the agent's inspection report - which in my case listed an ABS/TRACS lamp on, and the fact that the cambelt had been changed. These reports are in Japanese of course, but they're aware that English speaking people will be viewing/bidding at the auction so the notes are also in English.

HTH
abs problems are a part of what these cars are but im sure you are aware that its an easy fix . looking forward to seeing your new project car
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 14:37   #13
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Yes, I've repaired two ABS controllers before, but the importer owned up to it before I mentioned it, and said that they'd send it away to be professionally repaired. Its what I'd expect tbh - paying £6k for a 24 year old car, I expect it to be perfect lol.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 16:23   #14
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Because it is so hot out there, you'll find that their tyres are made of a much harder compound and you'll need to budget for getting a fresh set as they're lethal in the rain lol.
With Japan currently in the news for the severe weather they are having, I am wondering how they cope with the hard compound tyres they fit, as if you find them lethal here, Japan get's more extremes than we do.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 09:47   #15
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I honestly don't know - maybe they have a summer and a winter set? As you say they have some pretty wild extremes.
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 09:58   #16
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
I honestly don't know - maybe they have a summer and a winter set? As you say they have some pretty wild extremes.
That did occur to me, but I thought if that was the case, is there a 50/50 chance you'd get the winter tyres, or perhaps they're on steels as opposed to the OEM alloys, but then are these not available to purchase ?

In terms of summer, Japan actually gets considerably more rain than us in the summer.

https://infogram.com/average-rainfal...gdx3pwkjzlvpgr

But perhaps the heat is enough to soften the tyres, to make them useful.

Anyway, bit of a deviation from topic, just a passing thought.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 17:08   #17
Danf44

Hi Dan,

Cheers for the heads up I may indeed be in touch next month 👍🏽!
Danf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 22:49   #18
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Did you buy it then?
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 15:13   #19
Driver09

Default Abs

Can someone please specify exactly what the ABS issues are? thanks.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 18:50   #20
Simmy
Premier Member

abs units suffer from dry joints on the circuit boards caused by brittle lead free solder but it an easy fix if your good with a soldering iron
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote