Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Retrofit Adaptive Cruise Control / PA2?

Views : 16743

Replies : 82

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 07:59   #1
caspartfg

Default Retrofit Adaptive Cruise Control / PA2?

Hi all,

I've been lurking in the forum for a few weeks now. A couple of weeks ago I traded in my 8 year old Porsche Cayenne for a MY19 XC60 Inscription T5.

Clearly I know there is a lot of bias in the forum, but in my opinion the Volvo is easily the better car. The quality of the cabin is better, the ride is smoother and being 8 years younger tech is brilliant. The engine is beautifully smooth most of the time too... I would say the only place the Porsche has the upper hand is when you plant your foot on the "loud" pedal. The T5 lacks the mid-range torque and the gearbox becomes very hesitant if you ask it to kick-down then change up rapidly.... BUT, it's a volvo and I didn't buy it because I wanted a race car --- so i'm super happy and just love "wafting along".......

Anyway, quick question - I love my tech and whilst the car came with Intellisafe (BLISS, Lane Assist, etc), it doesn't have Adaptive Cruise Control and Pilot Assist. I believe I could get this as an upgrade if I wanted to. My question is whether anybody has done this, what it cost and whether they think it's worth it?

Fully appreciate the value of any tech in the car is a personal opinion, but given i'm driving 20 miles each way to work on the A3, it'd probably use it most days.

Thanks all.
caspartfg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to caspartfg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 08:21   #2
Boatie
Master Member

Pleased you're happy.
Don't know about having it retro fitted but as as a couple of bits of 'tech' they are worth however much it costs, ACC in particular. Although I do sub 10k a year a fair amount is motorway. Far more relaxing than ordinary CC and no PA.

Frank
V90
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 09:08   #3
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

There is an OEM retro fit package for Intellisafe Assist. Retail around £1000. Have a word with your local dealer to check whether it can be applied to yours.

See swedishcaraccessories.co.uk for examples
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 09:50   #4
caspartfg

Thanks - dropped the dealer a line and they got straight back to me. £1085 inc Vat for the retrofit..... very tempted. Do you think it's worth shopping around or waiting for an offer (like a Polestar upgrade) does that not happen?
caspartfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 12:37   #5
anotherv60
Master Member

For an easy discount join the Volvo owners club for £35, that will entitle you to between 10-30% discount depending upon your local dealer. So for the £35 out lay you’ll overall save £73.50, potentially more depending upon dealer.

You’ll just have to wait for the card to come through.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 15:42   #6
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

I havent noticed it on offer but if you havent already spoken to the people i referenced then I would give them a call for their best price. Looks like they are close enough to you?
From my limited experience they do seem to not only publish their prices but also do some best of deals.
I use their prices to get my local dealers to price match. Surprising how they will match when you tell them it is available elsewhere and yet before their price is the only price!!
Good luck. I have had non Volvos with the auto cruise and it is great. I understand the Volvo system is one of best of the current crop.
One last thought. Search for independent Volvo garages and chat to them. If they can do it they should be cheaper but I am learning that Volvo have their software really tied down these days so this mod may be beyond the independents.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 19:38   #7
mfresh
Nice person

Adaptive CC is good but I have found the speed limiter to be more useful these days.

Pilot Assist just seems dangerous to me - your mind starts to wander as it steers itself and you start drifting off to sleep. Maybe useful just for when you are grabbing something out of the glove box etc but I have vowed not to use it for more than a few seconds at a time as I can see it will end badly...
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 20:13   #8
Thorium

I had this upgrade applied to my XC90 last April. Just be aware that it may include a windscreen replacement (mine did, XC60 may be different) along with the additional electronics and a hydraulic pump (if i remember correctly). I'm pleased i got it and use the ACC regularly and pilot assist when the traffic isn't too bad.

It is expensive, but i think worth it for the additional safety.
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 22:24   #9
Fursty Ferret

Of the 20,000 miles on my V60 I should think 85% have been with Pilot Assist engaged. Wouldn't have another car without it.

It can of course disguise fatigue very well, but if you're concerned about drifting off with PA enabled could I tactfully suggest that you shouldn't be on the road at all. It's not as if your reaction times and decision making skills won't be equally impaired by tiredness.

Might be worth enquiring with them whether you'll get the curve speed adaptation function with the retrofit.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 22:26   #10
Fursty Ferret

Just to add to my last comment - I didn't think it was possible to spec the XC60 with Intellisafe but without Pilot Assist. Are you absolutely sure it's not fitted? You'll already have every sensor you need.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post: