Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pedestrian detection system

Views : 1327

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2021, 18:58   #1
BobbyL1970

Default Pedestrian detection system

Collected my V40 this afternoon.

Driving home the pedestrian detection system scared the bejesus out of me. Lol.

Thing is. There was no one in front of me. There were pedestrians at the side of the road on the pavement. Is this a sensitivity issue? Can it be adjusted?

Very nice car tho. The interior is a class above my 2010 Skoda Octavia.
BobbyL1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 00:19   #2
dhr90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyL1970 View Post

Thing is. There was no one in front of me. There were pedestrians at the side of the road on the pavement. Is this a sensitivity issue? Can it be adjusted?

My V60 does this every now and then when I wouldn’t expect it. Were you approaching a bend?
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 10:39   #3
BobbyL1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr90 View Post
My V60 does this every now and then when I wouldn’t expect it. Were you approaching a bend?

I don't think so. Need to read the owners manual. Lol

The collision detection light which projects onto the windscreen is annoying also. Need to look into that too. Lol. All for a good cause though. Safety.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 13:01   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

do you know the history of the car? the first thing to do is get the camera calibrated and the latest software , Volvo are continualy fine tuning it ..
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 14:17   #5
BobbyL1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
do you know the history of the car? the first thing to do is get the camera calibrated and the latest software , Volvo are continualy fine tuning it ..
Tbh. It may have been the collision detection system and not the pedestrian thing. Lol.

Still trying to understand it all. Lol

It's an approved used Volvo, so any updates should have been done I would hope.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 14:26   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Tbh. It may have been the collision detection system and not the pedestrian thing. Lol.

Still trying to understand it all. Lol

It's an approved used Volvo, so any updates should have been done I would hope.
Did you get sudden braking and how much ? No it's not normal at all by the way ... I have driven a great variety of V40's and all the other volvos since they came out and it has never happened to me , neither is it a problem the dealers get in to fix ... Volvo have over a 10 year lead in this technology now , Only now are other manufactures using it , because the law says they now have to ...

It's not just pedestrians it looks for , its animals and children and cars too and maybe a bird was flying towards the car ? etc .

See if you can reproduce it under similar conditions or in the same place ...
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 14:44   #7
BobbyL1970

Quote:
Did you get sudden braking and how much ? No it's not normal at all by the way ... I have driven a great variety of V40's and all the other volvos since they came out and it has never happened to me , neither is it a problem the dealers get in to fix ... Volvo have over a 10 year lead in this technology now , Only now are other manufactures using it , because the law says they now have to ...

It's not just pedestrians it looks for , its animals and children and cars too and maybe a bird was flying towards the car ? etc .

See if you can reproduce it under similar conditions or in the same place ...
Having read the quick start guide. It may have been warning me of a cyclist coming towards me. There was a definite red light on the windscreen and an alarm sound.

Will see how it goes. Been out today and had nothing. Just the red collision detection warning regards a car in front, which I was still some way from. I believe this could be a setting I have somehow triggered though. I pressed the button on the center console to disable for now til I understand better.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 14:52   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Having read the quick start guide. It may have been warning me of a cyclist coming towards me. There was a definite red light on the windscreen and an alarm sound.

Will see how it goes. Been out today and had nothing. Just the red collision detection warning regards a car in front, which I was still some way from. I believe this could be a setting I have somehow triggered though. I pressed the button on the center console to disable for now til I understand better.
So NO auto braking happened it was just a warning ....

you could have been driving towards the car in front and the gap was closing too quickly ... what do you think ?
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 15:01   #9
BobbyL1970

Quote:
So NO auto braking happened it was just a warning ....

you could have been driving towards the car in front and the gap was closing too quickly ... what do you think ?
I think there is a possibility of that being the case.

Lol
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 23:32   #10
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

I think the full safety package onyl comes if the car has Intellisafe Pro which was a £1900 option. Does your car have that option?

SWMBO has a my17 without that option so only has the baisc city safety function which is a collison warning system that works up to about 30mph. That triggers occasionally with a beep and flashin red symbol in the heads up area of the screen. It is usually when a car is parked off the road on the nearside and you approach on a bend so it thinks the vehicle is in front of you. There are couple of places where it happens to her regularly. The bend straightens ourt though as so the brakes are not applied. There is a delay in the system to aloow youy to brake first, it triggers if you dont brake in time.

First time it happened to both of us it scared the daylights.

Hope that helps

Last edited by ovlov04v; Feb 8th, 2021 at 23:37.
ovlov04v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ovlov04v For This Useful Post: