Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 New Battery Start/Stop

Views : 9580

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2020, 08:51   #11
columbo808

No matter what I do following those instructions I do not get the battery light to flash 3 times at the end.
Tried and tried numerous times.

Any ideas from those who have done it previously?
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 09:37   #12
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbo808 View Post
No matter what I do following those instructions I do not get the battery light to flash 3 times at the end.
Tried and tried numerous times.

Any ideas from those who have done it previously?
I followed the instructions given in that linked YouTube video and everything worked first time exactly as described, so I'm not sure why it's not working for you... or do you not have a TFT screen?

I've done a couple of long round trips recently and the stop/start is working perfectly, so I'm really glad I didn't replace the battery (although your battery was a fair bit older).

Is your car meant to have an AGM battery? Mine has an EFB.

Last edited by Zebster; Aug 20th, 2020 at 09:43.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 21:01   #13
columbo808

Yes that’s maybe the issue, I’ve not got the TFT screen, mine is a 2011 with the older twin dial setup.
The new battery is an AGM as that’s what was already fitted, I got a like for like, all be it not a Volvo battery.
I think the hack has half worked as I’m not seeing the ‘low battery’ message yet.
It’s just the start stop that’s the problem. It’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work. To be honest I’d not actually noticed it had probably not been working for over a year till I did research into new batteries and twigged that was one of the things not working!!
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 21:21   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbo808 View Post
Yes that’s maybe the issue, I’ve not got the TFT screen, mine is a 2011 with the older twin dial setup.
The new battery is an AGM as that’s what was already fitted, I got a like for like, all be it not a Volvo battery.
I think the hack has half worked as I’m not seeing the ‘low battery’ message yet.
It’s just the start stop that’s the problem. It’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work. To be honest I’d not actually noticed it had probably not been working for over a year till I did research into new batteries and twigged that was one of the things not working!!
Are you able to leave it on charge overnight using a smart charger?
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 13:51   #15
columbo808

I think that’s my next port of call, I need to buy a charger though. I hear the Ctek 5 is a good model. I had bought a cheap £25 charger from Amazon to try charge my original battery but as it didn’t help much I returned it.
Hoping the more advanced charger will fare better, plus it’s working on a new battery. It will be useful to have as the car is getting minimal use at the moment.
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 22:20   #16
reeferjon

I've just changed my battery on a late 2015 V60.
Kept intermittently showing low battery after sitting with the radio on etc.
Yesterday I updated the NAV and the low battery was back on again.

The battery I fitted is a none genuine part, the low battery has gone now and the S/S is running ok.

I too am also wondering what the logic is for the S/S battery, when is it used, what tells the user if that battery is low.

If I'm no longer seeing low battery then I see no reason to mess with BMS.

Finally, my VIDA arrived today from good old CH, just getting to grips with the install lol....see you in a few weeks :-)
reeferjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 07:59   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferjon View Post
I've just changed my battery on a late 2015 V60.
Kept intermittently showing low battery after sitting with the radio on etc.
Yesterday I updated the NAV and the low battery was back on again.

The battery I fitted is a none genuine part, the low battery has gone now and the S/S is running ok.

I too am also wondering what the logic is for the S/S battery, when is it used, what tells the user if that battery is low.

If I'm no longer seeing low battery then I see no reason to mess with BMS.

Finally, my VIDA arrived today from good old CH, just getting to grips with the install lol....see you in a few weeks :-)
It takes about 2 hours to update the nav, so I'm not surprised you got a warning!

The large main battery is the stop/start battery, the smaller aux battery is merely used to run the dash display, etc, during periods when the engine is turned off by the stop/start system. I've never seen reports of the aux battery requiring replacement (although logically it can't last forever).

The BMS monitors the current flowing through the battery negative lead* and so keeps a log of battery charge, along with the battery voltage this then drives the warning messages and allows the stop/start to be active. As said, I found great benefit in resetting the BMS as this saved me from buying a battery unnecessarily.

*Which is why any external charger should have the negative lead connected to the vehicle engine or bodywork (I clip it onto a bolt on the EGR valve)
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 08:41   #18
Chrisv60

These cars do seem particularly sensitive to battery voltage, i wonder if a lot of batteries are being changed prematurely.

Mine comes up with the low battery warning if I don't use the car for a day and the S/S hasn't worked for 12 months or so unless I charge the battery, in which case it works for a day.

However, it's never had the usual symptom of a tired battery which is the starter motor becoming a bit sluggish. Maybe this winter coming will start showing up any weaknesses, in which case I'll get it changed then.
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 11:52   #19
reeferjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post

The BMS monitors the current flowing through the battery negative lead* and so keeps a log of battery charge, along with the battery voltage this then drives the warning messages and allows the stop/start to be active. As said, I found great benefit in resetting the BMS as this saved me from buying a battery unnecessarily.
Thank you, does this mean that BMS monitors the main neg so, the sum of both batteries or just one?
reeferjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 12:03   #20
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferjon View Post
Thank you, does this mean that BMS monitors the main neg so, the sum of both batteries or just one?
I've only seen the negative lead to the main battery (which isn't shared with the aux battery) as the aux battery is hidden and I've never needed to access it. It's a very small aux battery and won't add much to the overall charge figure, but may still be separately monitored?

If you're still having problems after replacing the main battery then I'd suggest giving it an overnight charge using a suitable charger if you're car has an AGM battery type (mine has an EFB type because it's got manual trans) then following the reset procedure in the linked YouTube clip (including the need to afterwards lock the car overnight)