Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 832596

Replies : 6306

Users Viewing This Thread : Laird Scooby, Othen

Old Nov 11th, 2020, 14:43   #91
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

My freezer has also seen its fair share of vehicle parts and so has the oven!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 14:47   #92
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My freezer has also seen its fair share of vehicle parts and so has the oven!
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 11:53   #93
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
One of those wheels is scrap anyway! It's shown with a big dent in it but look closer at the pic and it looks like there is a crack forming. One of the other wheels (with a tyre on) looks like it has a minor dent but that might be my monitor.

Definitely not worth £300 for a set of 4 wheels IMHO, even if they were near perfect!
I happened to be looking through eBay (as one does on a rainy day) and noticed that £300 set or Virgo wheels still has not sold (quelle surprise), but I did notice there are a number of ads for pretty scabby Virgo wheels, all at about the same price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Virgo-Vol....c100290.m3507

... sometimes I think the world is going mad :-)
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 12:09   #94
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I happened to be looking through eBay (as one does on a rainy day) and noticed that £300 set or Virgo wheels still has not sold (quelle surprise), but I did notice there are a number of ads for pretty scabby Virgo wheels, all at about the same price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Virgo-Vol....c100290.m3507

... sometimes I think the world is going mad :-)
If he's not on drugs then he needs to be!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 12:35   #95
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
If he's not on drugs then he needs to be!
There were a number of ads (4 or 5 I should think) for Virgo wheels, all at about the same price (£70ish/wheel). The thing is Dave, the only people that can be supporting that level of expectation must be owners of older Volvos like you and I. The wheels wouldn't fit many other cars, and 15" rims would look a bit daft any anything modern. I'm seriously wondering whether there there are forum members buying at these prices and so sustaining the market (if they are then that is entirely their business of course, even if I think it is daft).

:-)
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 13:45   #96
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
There were a number of ads (4 or 5 I should think) for Virgo wheels, all at about the same price (£70ish/wheel). The thing is Dave, the only people that can be supporting that level of expectation must be owners of older Volvos like you and I. The wheels wouldn't fit many other cars, and 15" rims would look a bit daft any anything modern. I'm seriously wondering whether there there are forum members buying at these prices and so sustaining the market (if they are then that is entirely their business of course, even if I think it is daft).

:-)
The big question is Alan, how many wheels have actually sold at that price? Not many is the answer!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...te=1&LH_Sold=1

Very few available in general although one set in Canada went for the equivalent of £316 but it seems in Canada and the USA secondhand things command silly prices as in nearly new price.

I was watching Find it, Fix it, Flog it this morning and they had a French wardrobe/cupboard that they described as an "armoire" and apparently stateside it would have made $3500-4000 but here, about £200.

It seems to be an American thing, had the cupboard been made in Germany, it would have been called a "schrank" instead and worth a similar amount.

All that said, if you have a look through the Sold and/or COmpleted listings i've just linked to, you'll see much more conservative pricing with the real figures that were attained.

So far it seems nobody is paying that sort of silly price for any wheels, except a few minor exceptions.

Last set of Volvo alloys i bought were (if memory serves, £45 for five Telesto 16" wheels from a Phase 1 S/V40.
Turned up in my 760 and the first thing the bloke said was "They won't fit that, it's 5 stud!"

I replied it's just as well they're not going on it then or words similar, he asked what they were going on so i told him and he was certain they wouldn't fit my Rover either until i showed him a photo on my phone!
Granted they need refurbishing but that's what i wanted. I wouldn't have paid any more for good condition or refurbished unless they had been exactly what i wanted and that would have been hard to find.

Old Nov 18th, 2020, 14:44   #97
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The big question is Alan, how many wheels have actually sold at that price? Not many is the answer!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...te=1&LH_Sold=1

Very few available in general although one set in Canada went for the equivalent of £316 but it seems in Canada and the USA secondhand things command silly prices as in nearly new price.

I was watching Find it, Fix it, Flog it this morning and they had a French wardrobe/cupboard that they described as an "armoire" and apparently stateside it would have made $3500-4000 but here, about £200.

It seems to be an American thing, had the cupboard been made in Germany, it would have been called a "schrank" instead and worth a similar amount.

All that said, if you have a look through the Sold and/or COmpleted listings i've just linked to, you'll see much more conservative pricing with the real figures that were attained.

So far it seems nobody is paying that sort of silly price for any wheels, except a few minor exceptions.

Last set of Volvo alloys i bought were (if memory serves, £45 for five Telesto 16" wheels from a Phase 1 S/V40.
Turned up in my 760 and the first thing the bloke said was "They won't fit that, it's 5 stud!"

I replied it's just as well they're not going on it then or words similar, he asked what they were going on so i told him and he was certain they wouldn't fit my Rover either until i showed him a photo on my phone!
Granted they need refurbishing but that's what i wanted. I wouldn't have paid any more for good condition or refurbished unless they had been exactly what i wanted and that would have been hard to find.
That was clever Dave: doing an eBay search on sold and completed items - I had not thought of that, but a good way of testing the market. Thank you for that idea.

Something must be leading people to think some scabby old Virgo wheels they have had in their shed since scrapping their Volvo 240in 2003 are worth £70/each - but I have no idea what :-)

One would have thought that the sellers would have wised up after a while and reduced their prices downwards towards the £20/wheel they are actually worth.

Alan
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 16:16   #98
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That was clever Dave: doing an eBay search on sold and completed items - I had not thought of that, but a good way of testing the market. Thank you for that idea.

Something must be leading people to think some scabby old Virgo wheels they have had in their shed since scrapping their Volvo 240in 2003 are worth £70/each - but I have no idea what :-)

One would have thought that the sellers would have wised up after a while and reduced their prices downwards towards the £20/wheel they are actually worth.

Alan
It's quite a handy thing to remember Alan, especially if you're selling something, always useful to check the current market trend before either selling yourself short or pricing yourself out of the market.

There seems to be a trend that older Volvos (among others) are increasing in value now so those that have the odd set or three of Virgo wheels stashed in their sheds/garages seem to think they're worth a small fortune.

When i was looking to replace the RS7-spokes on my Rovers (when i had the Coupe as well and after ATS had mullered the wheels by over-tightening the nuts with the windy gun), the only one i found was a NOS one for more than it would have been from a Rover dealer when they still existed. That was what prompted me to look elsewhere and found the S/V40 used the same PCD, offset and wheel sizes - the only difference was the centre bore was 67.1mm on the x40 and 64.1mm on the 800 but a set of aluminium spigot rings enabled safe fitment of a set of Craters on the Coupe and Telestos on the Sterling.

I don't know if the 5 stud RWD Volvo fitment will fit others (5x108 PCD, 18-22 ET, 65mm CB) but it should be possible to find out :

https://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments_by_pcd.html

The offset (ET) and centre bore (CB) still need to be taken into account but to be honest, there's not many and most are more modern with their own nice alloys.

With that in mind, reducing the price to a lower level would be much more sensible!

Old Nov 20th, 2020, 07:11   #99
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It's quite a handy thing to remember Alan, especially if you're selling something, always useful to check the current market trend before either selling yourself short or pricing yourself out of the market.

There seems to be a trend that older Volvos (among others) are increasing in value now so those that have the odd set or three of Virgo wheels stashed in their sheds/garages seem to think they're worth a small fortune.
I'd been keeping an eye on this one Dave, the complete car with a set of Virgo wheels just sold for £609:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...rdt=true&rt=nc

Okay, it is a MoT failure with 225,000 miles, but it puts people asking £300 for a set of Virgo wheels into into perspective :-)
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 09:18   #100
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'd been keeping an eye on this one Dave, the complete car with a set of Virgo wheels just sold for £609:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...rdt=true&rt=nc

Okay, it is a MoT failure with 225,000 miles, but it puts people asking £300 for a set of Virgo wheels into into perspective :-)
It does indeed Alan! Quite scary what people are prepared to pay for a non-runner though.