Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 821183

Replies : 6255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2020, 11:03   #151
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes indeed Dave, everything is easy with hindsight.

I recall Pete's car was quite a nice one with the 3.6l straight six I think. He was a car bloke and was keeping it up together and looking forward to it becoming tax free and so (at that time) economically viable. I remember him complaining bitterly that rug had been pulled from underneath him... and so the car went from very nearly a viable classic to an expensive and thirsty burden overnight. I think he kept the car a while, but recall it having its roof sprayed with a union flag (rather poorly) at some time later as it descended into something not worth investing in at the time.

I rather suspect the nice XJ6 probably headed towards the banger derby by the 2000s, which as you say would have been such a pity. Today a 50 year old Jag in nice, even unrestored condition would be worth serious money.

:-(
That sounds very much like it would have been the XK3.8 engine Alan, considered by many to be superior to the 4.2 as the 3.8 didn't have all the emission control stuff on it so produced a lot more power. On paper at least. There was also the switch from the gross power to net power ratings which "appeared" that suddenly the engines produced less.

If your friends car was an XJ6, chances are it would have been a 4.2 or possibly, a 2.8 with the 3.4 entry level model coming later. All academic now as it's probably long gone but the Wiki article makes interesting (if sometimes confusing) reading :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XK_engine

A quick search on fleabay only revealed one 1969 XJ6 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ...1/383848086662

Many strange things on it from the V12 radiator grille to a Series III dashboard leaper on the glovebox, definitely needs restoration but would i suggest, literally have to be a labour of love as it's the 2.8 model.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 14:34   #152
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That sounds very much like it would have been the XK3.8 engine Alan, considered by many to be superior to the 4.2 as the 3.8 didn't have all the emission control stuff on it so produced a lot more power. On paper at least. There was also the switch from the gross power to net power ratings which "appeared" that suddenly the engines produced less.

If your friends car was an XJ6, chances are it would have been a 4.2 or possibly, a 2.8 with the 3.4 entry level model coming later. All academic now as it's probably long gone but the Wiki article makes interesting (if sometimes confusing) reading :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XK_engine

A quick search on fleabay only revealed one 1969 XJ6 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ...1/383848086662

Many strange things on it from the V12 radiator grille to a Series III dashboard leaper on the glovebox, definitely needs restoration but would i suggest, literally have to be a labour of love as it's the 2.8 model.
Thank you for that Dave, you are a mine of useful information. I can't remember the details of the car, but that Mk1 in the eBay ad would be much the same shape - I have forgotten which motor the car had. As you say Dave, it is academic now, I think Pete's car would have gone to the bander derby in the sky 15 or so years ago.

:-(
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 19:33   #153
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That white 240 is interesting. Can you explain how you arrive at the 9 years before it becomes Historic please? Mine is about 6 months younger (88/F) and should be eligible in 2028 for Historic tax.
It has a lot of genuine Volvo accessories (driving lights, front dog lights, inside/outside temp gauge plus a few others i can't make out, mud-flaps, upgraded stereo? and possibly a few i've missed) and looks very nice.

That white 240 sold today for £2616:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo240g...53.m1438.l2649

... I thought that was an okay price - it was a very nice looking car and seemed to be solid, but it is quite a few miles away from being an historic vehicle yet, which has probably distracted from the price a bit.

It is nice to see a good Volvo making a strong but sensible price :-)
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 20:44   #154
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That white 240 sold today for £2616:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo240g...53.m1438.l2649

... I thought that was an okay price - it was a very nice looking car and seemed to be solid, but it is quite a few miles away from being an historic vehicle yet, which has probably distracted from the price a bit.

It is nice to see a good Volvo making a strong but sensible price :-)
A good but sensible price i think Alan!

Wonder if we'll see a new member on here soon?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 21:03   #155
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Wonder if we'll see a new member on here soon?
Now, wouldn't that be a good outcome :-)
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 23:02   #156
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Now, wouldn't that be a good outcome :-)
Indeed it would but there is also the possibility it was bought by an existing member to grow their fleet.

Old Dec 10th, 2020, 06:12   #157
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Indeed it would but there is also the possibility it was bought by an existing member to grow their fleet.
Well that wouldn't be a bad outcome either. The white car looked nice and just needed a good home for another 20 years of excellent service.

I was pleased that it made good, but not silly money, I think that is really healthy for the 240 market. We don't want ordinary cars costing £20,000, nor do we want good , serviceable ones like the white one going to the banger derby chap.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 10th, 2020 at 06:22. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 12:23   #158
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Well that wouldn't be a bad outcome either. The white car looked nice and just needed a good home for another 20 years of excellent service.

I was pleased that it made good, but not silly money, I think that is really healthy for the 240 market. We don't want ordinary cars costing £20,000, nor do we want good , serviceable ones like the white one going to the banger derby chap.
My thoughts exactly Alan! While it may be nice that our steeds have improved in value, anything we might replace them with will also have increased in value. Obviously replacement is only going to be in a worst case scenario and to that end, we are still somewhat at the mercy of the insurers and what they pay out.

Old Dec 14th, 2020, 06:31   #159
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Continuing on over-priced cars, this one failed to attract any bids at a £1900 starting price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49292

... it is an unfinished project with accident damage that is a very long way from getting a MoT. In which world could that possibly be worth nearly two grand?

What a world we live in.

Alan
... I notice the car above still hasn't attracted a bid at £1900, this was the 3rd or 4th time it has been advertised for auction. Surely the seller will get the idea soon that it is overpriced, maybe worth about £800 like this one that just sold:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...53.m1438.l2649

That seemed a sensible price for a car with a MoT, but as one may see from the photos the rear wheel arches, bottoms of the doors and sills are full of rust, so that is probably its last MoT without a grand's worth of welding and panels.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 08:32   #160
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... I notice the car above still hasn't attracted a bid at £1900, this was the 3rd or 4th time it has been advertised for auction. Surely the seller will get the idea soon that it is overpriced, maybe worth about £800 like this one that just sold:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...53.m1438.l2649

That seemed a sensible price for a car with a MoT, but as one may see from the photos the rear wheel arches, bottoms of the doors and sills are full of rust, so that is probably its last MoT without a grand's worth of welding and panels.
I'm not surprised, someone looking simply for a Volvo estate with £2k to spend is more likely to go for something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-960...e/143880182502

Most people simply looking for a large estate particularly a Volvo are looking for it to serve a purpose rather than a basket case restoration model. Yes there are people out there who do want a resto but mostly they're still going to buy the best they can. Still plenty of other choices for 240 estates that look better.