Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 832244

Replies : 6297

Users Viewing This Thread : Laird Scooby

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 06:16   #181
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Often people place bids just to register an interest and so track the item Dave - it isn't going to sell at £520 I shouldn't think. I have also heard of sellers using dummy accounts to push the price along (I think illegal under eBay rules, but I've sometimes suspected that with things I've been interested in) - I'm certainly not accusing the seller of doing that in this case.

I noticed the motor car had a reserve price, it will be interesting to see if the seller has put it ridiculously high (like £3,500) or just something sensible in case it doesn't get much interest (like £1000). I suppose up to about £800 it might attract interest from the banger derby fraternity, above that it would have to be one of us that wants to either restore it or make it a good runner.

It will be interesting (to me) to see where the market is for cars like this. Just a year ago I bought the RB for a couple of grand, but that was a running and riding motor car with 8 months MoT and a bit of history from the past 10 years. This one needs serious welding and complete recommissioning, the mileage is probably a bit suspect and it is a low specification car, so given that one would have to put its value below £2,000. To its credit though, it is a 1980 car so it will be MoT exempt and will qualify for historic vehicle status (and so be tax exempt) in 3 months time; that may make it a few hundred more attractive?

I'll track this one and see what it goes for (if it sells) - watch this space.

Alan
That's what ebay call "Shill Bidding" Alan, using fake/alternative accounts or getting fiends and family to bid on things to push the price up. Definitely against ebay rules and is morally dubious as well.

It won't sell until the reserve is met but given how bad it is, unless someone wants that particular spec and colour of car, it's not going to make much more (if any) than it already is - at least not from a genuine bid anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 06:26   #182
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's what ebay call "Shill Bidding" Alan, using fake/alternative accounts or getting fiends and family to bid on things to push the price up. Definitely against ebay rules and is morally dubious as well.

It won't sell until the reserve is met but given how bad it is, unless someone wants that particular spec and colour of car, it's not going to make much more (if any) than it already is - at least not from a genuine bid anyway!
One learns something new every day Dave: I had not heard of 'shill bidding' - so thank you for that.

See my note above, I can't see the car making more than £1250 like that red car did (and that was a runner) unless someone really wants a low spec motor car in a really dull colour!

... Bob is ready for his first walk:-)
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 06:56   #183
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
One learns something new every day Dave: I had not heard of 'shill bidding' - so thank you for that.

See my note above, I can't see the car making more than £1250 like that red car did (and that was a runner) unless someone really wants a low spec motor car in a really dull colour!

... Bob is ready for his first walk:-)
I only learned the term a few years ago Alan. I found it on ebay, given that Americans (sort of ) speak English, i kind of assumed it was an "Olde English" term that had survived.

As for the eventual price, i totally agree but i seriously doubt it will get much higher from genuine bidders. I suspect it's too high already for the banger boys, it's also not quite lively enough for what most of them want on the track or at least what they used to want 30 ish years ago when i used to go regularly.

I just looked up shill bidding, found two results and one seems to be American slang originated, the other seems to take the meaning from the ebay words :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di.../shill-bidding

Seems the earliest use of the word shill was about 110 years ago in a carnival in the USA according to the Wiki article, the shill was a character placed in the audience to begin the applause or cheering and/or get people intersted in seeing a particular attraction.

I've learned something too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 07:25   #184
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I only learned the term a few years ago Alan. I found it on ebay, given that Americans (sort of ) speak English, i kind of assumed it was an "Olde English" term that had survived.

As for the eventual price, i totally agree but i seriously doubt it will get much higher from genuine bidders. I suspect it's too high already for the banger boys, it's also not quite lively enough for what most of them want on the track or at least what they used to want 30 ish years ago when i used to go regularly.

I just looked up shill bidding, found two results and one seems to be American slang originated, the other seems to take the meaning from the ebay words :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di.../shill-bidding

Seems the earliest use of the word shill was about 110 years ago in a carnival in the USA according to the Wiki article, the shill was a character placed in the audience to begin the applause or cheering and/or get people intersted in seeing a particular attraction.

I've learned something too!
That was interesting in Wikipedia - I had not come across the word, but it does seem to be American.

The brown car reminds me a bit if that red one I linked to above. I think that one was sold by a chap in Scotland, and the new owner unloaded it again (for £1250 I think) just a few weeks later. He said his wife didn't like it, but I suspect he found out the rust was much worse that he would be able to cope with. I do hope that someone unsuspecting doesn't buy the brown car for much more than it is worth - that rust in the boot will be quite extensive and won't be cheap to fix. If one of us buys it for under a grand as a bit of a project that is one thing - but if someone unsuspecting gets it thinking he just needs to kick the tyres and change the gas then that is another entirely.

It was cold out walking Bob - woolly gloves weather this morn.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 07:52   #185
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That was interesting in Wikipedia - I had not come across the word, but it does seem to be American.

The brown car reminds me a bit if that red one I linked to above. I think that one was sold by a chap in Scotland, and the new owner unloaded it again (for £1250 I think) just a few weeks later. He said his wife didn't like it, but I suspect he found out the rust was much worse that he would be able to cope with. I do hope that someone unsuspecting doesn't buy the brown car for much more than it is worth - that rust in the boot will be quite extensive and won't be cheap to fix. If one of us buys it for under a grand as a bit of a project that is one thing - but if someone unsuspecting gets it thinking he just needs to kick the tyres and change the gas then that is another entirely.

It was cold out walking Bob - woolly gloves weather this morn.
Agreed, USA origin on shill/shill bidder. They have some odd expressions over there, strangest (so far) that i've heard was in my local Co-op a few months ago, the man told his wife that (whatever item she was looking for) was in her "fanny pack".

After choking back laughter i moved until i could see them and noticed she was wearing what we call a bum-bag so i looked it up when i got home. Sure enough, they are one and the same.

Having had a few welding jobs on cars over the years i've come to know my limits on what i can and can't comfortably do. That brown Volvo would be beyond what i would comfortably do these days although i would probably have attempted it 15+ years ago.

However 15 ish years ago i also owned my last Datsun Skyline 240KGT Coupe.

The idea when i got it was to restore it, i found tinworm in the A pillars and the sills - both sides had two inner and two outer of each!

Strengthening presumably because it was a pillarless coupe but way beyond my capabilities at the time (or since!) which is a shame as they were rare when new and i had many reasons to restore that one.

It was about the same age as the RB (V reg/1980) but had lived in Ramsgate for a lot of its life so the "sea-breeze effect" had taken its toll!

Sadly i think people get "auction eyes" when viewing things on fleabay et al and convince themselves it's a much smaller job than it really is.
When they actually get it home and see it in the metal they change their mind faster than a politician discussing the Kung Flu.

As i'm sure you know, most welding jobs look like a 50p piece sized hole to start with and end up looking like the whole piggy-bank by the time they're cleaned back to good metal.
These days i tend to restrict my welding to bits and pieces in the shed, if and when i need to make something.
Besides, my "ark"* welder tends to be a bit vicious for bodywork, even on the lowest setting with 1.5mm rods!

That said with good metal and a steady paw i could just about use it but it would be a long slow process on bodywork!

* "Ark" welder, phonetically descriptive of its action, metaphorically descriptive of its age!

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jan 7th, 2021 at 08:04. Reason: Past tense used when should have been present aka typo
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 08:01   #186
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Agreed, USA origin on shill/shill bidder. They have some odd expressions over there, strangest (so far) that i've heard was in my local Co-op a few months ago, the man told his wife that (whatever item she was looking for) was in her "fanny pack".

After choking back laughter i moved until i could see them and noticed she was wearing what we call a bum-bag so i looked it up when i got home. Sure enough, they are one and the same.

Having had a few welding jobs on cars over the years i've come to know my limits on what i can and can't comfortably do. That brown Volvo would be beyond what i would comfortably do these days although i would probably have attempted it 15+ years ago.

However 15 ish years ago i also owned my last Datsun Skyline 240KGT Coupe.

The idea when i got it was to restore it, i found tinworm in the A pillars and the sills - both sides had two inner and two outer of each!

Strengthening presumably because it was a pillarless coupe but way beyond my capabilities at the time (or since!) which is a shame as they were rare when new and i had many reasons to restore that one.

It was about the same age as the RB (V reg/1980) but had lived in Ramsgate for a lot of its life so the "sea-breeze effect" had taken its toll!

Sadly i think people get "auction eyes" when viewing things on fleabay et al and convince themselves it's a much smaller job than it really is.
When they actually get it home and see it in the metal they changed their mind faster than a politician discussing the Kung Flu.

As i'm sure you know, most welding jobs look like a 50p piece sized hole to start with and end up looking like the whole piggy-bank by the time they're cleaned back to good metal.
These days i tend to restrict my welding to bits and pieces in the shed, if and when i need to make something.
Besides, my "ark"* welder tends to be a bit vicious for bodywork, even on the lowest setting with 1.5mm rods!

That said with good metal and a steady paw i could just about use it but it would be a long slow process on bodywork!

* "Ark" welder, phonetically descriptive of its action, metaphorically descriptive of its age!
eBay has its uses though: overnight I had an offer of £42 for a new cordless impact wrench accepted. It will be a Chinese copy, but for the number of times I need to use it I may well get years of service. It goes up to 330 Nm, so should make getting difficult nuts undone much easier.

:-)
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 08:08   #187
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
eBay has its uses though: overnight I had an offer of £42 for a new cordless impact wrench accepted. It will be a Chinese copy, but for the number of times I need to use it I may well get years of service. It goes up to 330 Nm, so should make getting difficult nuts undone much easier.

:-)
Very true! Have you got a link to that impact wench please? Not quite enough torque for the tightest nut on either of my beasts but will do most of them!

I have a 5ft scaffold pole for the tightest one and 18st to sit on it! It's a mere 415Nm or ~315lb.ft

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 08:23   #188
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Very true! Have you got a link to that impact wench please? Not quite enough torque for the tightest nut on either of my beasts but will do most of them!

I have a 5ft scaffold pole for the tightest one and 18st to sit on it! It's a mere 415Nm or ~315lb.ft
Of course Dave:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cordless-...53.m2749.l2649
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 09:06   #189
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks Alan, saved in my Watch List for now.

It appears the battery is interchangeable with Makita batteries which might be useful for some. Would be intersted in knowing how to alter the torque setting on it, the listing says it's adjustable but i don't see any facility for it.

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 09:41   #190
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan, saved in my Watch List for now.

It appears the battery is interchangeable with Makita batteries which might be useful for some. Would be intersted in knowing how to alter the torque setting on it, the listing says it's adjustable but i don't see any facility for it.
It says delivery by 14 Jan - but I suspect it will be here sooner than that. When it arrives I'll send you a report. I was looking for one that would have a battery interchangeable with my Hitachi drill, but that doesn't seem to be sold in the UK. Makita batteries are widely available though, so that is good news (in my experience the only part that ever fails is the battery).

PS. This seems to be a review of more or less the same tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELE7Ijg6oo

Last edited by Othen; Jan 7th, 2021 at 09:54.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: