Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 833604

Replies : 6325

Users Viewing This Thread : Othen

Old Sep 21st, 2020, 06:49   #31
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-Vaux...l/353162080188

Here's one for you - check the MOT history on that. Clocked at least three times.

Convenient zero reputation on the seller as well.
... by clocked you mean the mileage has been wound backwards - or that you have seen it up for sale more than 3 times?

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 06:50   #32
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Partly so buyers can't check the MoT history but i suspect more because he lives in an area that Jeremy Kyle used to visit with a net and doesn't want his neighbours getting wind of him making a few quid as they'll "bubble him to the social".

Either that or he's upset a few of them and they're likely to come round with keys for the bodywork, bricks for the windows and so on.

Maybe all of the above!
Do you really think one's neighbours might be so aggressive Dave?

Alan
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 07:24   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... by clocked you mean the mileage has been wound backwards - or that you have seen it up for sale more than 3 times?

Alan

Date tested 30 October 2009
Fail
Mileage 157,928 miles

Date tested 22 October 2010
Pass
Mileage 139,939 miles

Date tested 28 May 2012
Fail
Mileage 146,561 miles

Date tested 6 June 2012
Pass
Mileage No odometer

Date tested 20 May 2013
Pass
Mileage 129,777 miles

Date tested 18 June 2015
Pass
Mileage 132,909 miles

Date tested 15 June 2016
Pass
Mileage 123,745 miles

Mileage wound back at least three times, that's without the mileage piled on in between MoTs!

As for the neighbours being aggressive, if he's upset enough of them then yes. Could only be one neighbour but might be more.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 07:46   #34
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Date tested 30 October 2009
Fail
Mileage 157,928 miles

Date tested 22 October 2010
Pass
Mileage 139,939 miles

Date tested 28 May 2012
Fail
Mileage 146,561 miles

Date tested 6 June 2012
Pass
Mileage No odometer

Date tested 20 May 2013
Pass
Mileage 129,777 miles

Date tested 18 June 2015
Pass
Mileage 132,909 miles

Date tested 15 June 2016
Pass
Mileage 123,745 miles

Mileage wound back at least three times, that's without the mileage piled on in between MoTs!

As for the neighbours being aggressive, if he's upset enough of them then yes. Could only be one neighbour but might be more.
Gosh, that is clear and obvious - I suppose if it had already done 158,000 miles in 2009 it could easily be over 250,000 miles now. I'm guessing the fact that it happened 3 times means that 3 different owners wound back the clock separately - so perhaps this is much more widespread than I thought (or perhaps I'm too trusting a chap)?

Alan
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 08:15   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Gosh, that is clear and obvious - I suppose if it had already done 158,000 miles in 2009 it could easily be over 250,000 miles now. I'm guessing the fact that it happened 3 times means that 3 different owners wound back the clock separately - so perhaps this is much more widespread than I thought (or perhaps I'm too trusting a chap)?

Alan
Definitely too trusting Alan!

Back when i was a young pup, there was a taxi firm in my town with three white 244s, A531 OBP, A533 OBP and A538 OBP i think they were. Anyway, one disappeared from the fleet to be replaced with a Montego TD estate.

Pretty soon this car (let's call it A531 OBP as i think it was) surfaced at a local ish car dealers with 43k miles showing on the clock and a fresh MoT. The holes for the taxi radio aerial were still there, internally and externally so a bit of a giveaway and when i asked the dealer if it had previously been a taxi, he coyly said "I think it was used occasionally for private hire, yes".

One or two of the taxi drivers drank in my local pub so i approached them and said i'd seen a car that fitted the description of the taxis on the fleet, had the owner sold any of them recently. One asked me the reg so i quoted it and he laughed, hollowly, and advised me to steer well clear because it had been nothing but trouble since day 1 when it came from the showroom.

He then asked me if i'd seen the car and if so, noticed the mileage. I said "43k" at which point he fell about laughing.

"Try 243k and it's a bit nearer!"

A few months later in the local rag the car dealer was reported to have been in court, having wiped out something like half a million miles from half a dozen cars with many more offences "TIC" - Taken Into Consideration.

In the years since, i've been asked many times to "give a car a haircut" as one person put it so the problem is or at least was, still rife and no doubt that will always be the way things are.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 08:52   #36
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Definitely too trusting Alan!

Back when i was a young pup, there was a taxi firm in my town with three white 244s, A531 OBP, A533 OBP and A538 OBP i think they were. Anyway, one disappeared from the fleet to be replaced with a Montego TD estate.

Pretty soon this car (let's call it A531 OBP as i think it was) surfaced at a local ish car dealers with 43k miles showing on the clock and a fresh MoT. The holes for the taxi radio aerial were still there, internally and externally so a bit of a giveaway and when i asked the dealer if it had previously been a taxi, he coyly said "I think it was used occasionally for private hire, yes".

One or two of the taxi drivers drank in my local pub so i approached them and said i'd seen a car that fitted the description of the taxis on the fleet, had the owner sold any of them recently. One asked me the reg so i quoted it and he laughed, hollowly, and advised me to steer well clear because it had been nothing but trouble since day 1 when it came from the showroom.

He then asked me if i'd seen the car and if so, noticed the mileage. I said "43k" at which point he fell about laughing.

"Try 243k and it's a bit nearer!"

A few months later in the local rag the car dealer was reported to have been in court, having wiped out something like half a million miles from half a dozen cars with many more offences "TIC" - Taken Into Consideration.

In the years since, i've been asked many times to "give a car a haircut" as one person put it so the problem is or at least was, still rife and no doubt that will always be the way things are.
Thank you for that lesson Dave - I'd thought that sort of practice had stopped years ago.

Regarding aggressive neighbours: generally my neighbours are really nice, it is an owner-occupier type area, everyone looks after their house, car, kids, dog etc really well. A couple of years ago one of the houses along the street (about 5 houses away) was let as a HMO (much to the chagrin of all the other residents), and attracted a group of young English and Scottish lads from the other side of town (if we were Americans we might call them 'trailer trash' - but we are not). They were nothing but trouble in the street, but their number dwindled as they were variously picked up by the police or got sacked and ran out of money to pay the landlady. Eventually she turfed them out, but on the last day one of them left me a nail stuck in the sidewall of one of the Porschey's rear tyres. There was no dispute, it was just an envy adornment.

Ho hum, I was pleased they were off, didn't even mention it so as not to give them any satisfaction of knowing they had caused harm, and got a new Dunlop fitted (a pity because the rear tyres were only about 5,000 miles old).

... the things some people will do.

Alan
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 09:21   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I assume the landlady of that house no longer rented it as an HMO then Alan? Fingers burned and lesson learned perhaps?

Bummer about the tyre, you could probably have claimed on your insurance as it was an act of vandalism without compromising your NCB but if your excess is more than the tyre, not worth it.

Old Sep 21st, 2020, 09:42   #38
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I assume the landlady of that house no longer rented it as an HMO then Alan? Fingers burned and lesson learned perhaps?

Bummer about the tyre, you could probably have claimed on your insurance as it was an act of vandalism without compromising your NCB but if your excess is more than the tyre, not worth it.
Exactly that in both cases Dave.

The landlady discovered the hard way that letting a house as a HMO is a recipe for disaster unless one spends a great deal of time more than she did managing the property.

To be candid, it is hardly ever worth claiming on one's insurance unless there is a total loss or someone gets hurt. Although my NCB would not have been affected, I'm pretty sure my premium would have gone up for all my cars and bikes (x6) for being a higher risk (having made a claim). Also, as you point out, the excess (£100) would have been about the same as the cost of the tyre.

I suppose i could have taken the evidence to the police, but I thought the chance of recovering anything was pretty low, and to be candid we were all glad just to see the back of them.

I do wonder at the psyche of someone who damages someone else's property just out of envy. The culprit had previously had his very beaten up Audi seized (no tax or MoT) and I suppose he thought he's take that out on the chap with the Porsche - ho hum.

:-(

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 21st, 2020 at 09:44. Reason: Correction.
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 10:25   #39
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
As an aside, i'm very dubious of that GM V6 in transverse installations, it was good in the original set up in the Omegas etc but when they turned it round it seemed to develop weak head gaskets, especially on the rear bank - poorer cooling i suspect!
I didn't know that, 'L.S.'.

We (Linda) have a '95 Saab 3.0 V6 'Griffin' which she has owned since 2011 with no sign of H.G. problems. (We were looking for a late 964 or S90 at the time, but could not find one). The 3.0 'six' has a similar specific output to her earlier 2.3 FPT 'four', but is a much more pleasant car to drive.

It's one major failure, apart from the usual minor irritations which are a part of almost every 'old' car, was that of the water cooled oil cooler which sits deep down in the vee. It was of aluminum and was, I believe, the subject of a recall when the car was new. We obtained a stainless one from Sweden and to date that has proved entirely satisfactory.

Regards, John.
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 10:33   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I suspect he probably aspired to Porsche ownership Alan but in the meantime, deicded if he couldn't enjoy one, neither could you. It's along similar lines to "if i can't have it, nobody else is going to have it".

Whilst incinvenient, i think a tyre is probably a small price to pay compared to what he could have done but also if you had gone to the police, i suspect they may have taken the view that you could have easily run over the nail and the guy was probably innocent.