Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen washermotor not getting power

Views : 1906

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2020, 19:13   #1
R-P
Master Member

Default Windscreen washermotor not getting power

I obviously checked the fuse and it is OK.

Personally I think it *might* have something to do with the CEM as I think it is broken since I fixed a bad soldering on the CEM. This included ripping out and reseating the relais a dozen times.

But it might be totally unrelated.

I measured the 4-prong plug that sits on the underside of the washer bottle that also includes the sensor that probably measures if it is empty. And provided I inserted the needle-measuring prongs correctly, this did not give me a voltage while the wipers did move when pulling on the lever.

Any ideas? What (other) relay is linked to the washer?

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 10:24   #2
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

There is a relay in the windscreen washer motor circuit

XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 02:04   #3
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

yes pretty common for relay to go, swap with another one of same part number for a test ie wipers
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 20:51   #4
R-P
Master Member

Cool, I'll have a look. Great picture, that helps a lot!

Old Dec 11th, 2020, 21:56   #5
R-P
Master Member

I (finally) switched the horn and the washer-relay but it still didn't work. Unfortunateliy it was raining, so I didn't feel like standing outside in the rain and meaasure if there 's 12V on the relay or if the switching to ground is the problem (I think it is wired like that).

So maybe it is the ECM after all. Maybe the big ECU plug with the 30+ wires has one of them not seated properly

Last edited by R-P; Dec 11th, 2020 at 22:07.
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 01:30   #6
b1mcp

It's important to not rely exclusively on the connectors in the plug to identify the problem.

Check voltage between known good ground (e.g engine) and +ve in plug, and known good +ve (e.g battery +) and ground in plug.

I have seen a problem like this that was a corroded cable on the ground supply to the washer motor.
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 18:40   #7
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

pretty sure the relay is a 4 pin relay, did you deffo test with an identical relay?
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 23:49   #8
R-P
Master Member

Yes, took the hornrelay (FMI2 and swapped it with FMI3 last time).

Just did some more testing by jumping the (5 pin! ) relay and found out the relay is probably fine.

When I use the windscreen washer, the headlight wipers are powered as well, but I didn't see/hear this when in the car previously.

Turns out the left headlight wiper works, but the right doesn't.

Long story short:

Current thoughts:

Power gets lost to both right-headlightwiper AND washermotor somewhere between the relay and the right-front of the car.

or

Right headlightwiper is broken (I verified its working about 2 years ago) and motor is broken but this is unrelated to eachother.

@XC70bob, where did you find those pics? My Vida seems to be missing the EWD (Electronic Wiring Diagram), did it come from there.

Last edited by R-P; Jan 16th, 2021 at 23:56.
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 09:02   #9
No1Tiger
V70 2.4 D5 SE Auto

I’m Interested in following this , I have almost the opposite problem , mine washes the headlights although no headlights are on when I wash the windscreen, the issue would appear to have started after I had a CEM water issue
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 09:27   #10
R-P
Master Member

I have a hard time understanding the picture.

FMI3 and FMI4 are the relas for the washermotor. Cleaverly wired up so whatever relay is powered, sends 12V to the motor and whatever relay is NOT powered, is connected to ground.

Since you cannot pull and push on the stalk on your steeringwheel at the same time, the motor will get a positive 12V on connector 'one' and ground on connector 'two' and operate normally. OR it will get a ground on connector 'one' and a positive 12V on connector 'two' and run in reverse, thus either spraying the FRONT or the REAR window.

But only FMI3 is connected to a second motor, which *might* be the headlight wiper motor(s). But in my car they also get actuated if I push the stalk (run the rear washer).

So I am missing something or simply don't understand how it is wired. The latter would be embarassing as I am an EE... but it is not the first time I have trouble reading car wiring schematics.