Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Power Pulse Pipe

Views : 2365

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2021, 14:10   #1
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default D5 Power Pulse Pipe

I came across this on ebay and thought I would share it in case anyone needs one at any time.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-XC90-...-/174340960829
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 19:58   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

A fair price. I expect aftermarket will kick in in no time to provide a part which doesn’t blow up as easy as the OEM on some cars. I must reiterate that I’m still on the original one, 65K kms in and just over 3 yrs running.

Btw, when you see it like this, fully exposed, one doesn’t have to be a Phd in mechanics to wander WHY did they put that joint in the middle..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 20:12   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Before retiring I worked in the chemical industry and we used flexible pipes that held extremely high pressure, many times greater than the power pulse system and I never seen one pop, Volvo under rated these pipes, they should never fail.
Owners should have life time free replacement. But at least they can get one.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 23:16   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

I'm sure they could have used standard ½" hydraulic flexible hose with standard fittings if they wanted to. 5500psi rated. The pipe Volvo use is a bad joke and for anyone who reckons they have done 30,000 miles+ without bursting one, I ask "are you sure and how do you know?" You might be running with the compressor working full time, doing nothing. I didn't see any difference when mine burst. Well, the first time there was a whistle but the second time, nothing. The only reason I knew the second time was that I actually heard it pop as I was standing still idling on my yard. On inspection it had burst at the swaged top joint. The first one had gone somewhere out of sight.

There was a glitch within a week of the first being replaced, when that either popped of came loose somehow and the same whistle came back. I put that down to a bit of a ****-up at the workshop.

That was the only mechanical issue I ever had with the car. Now sold. Missed it a lot for a while, until I got its replacement.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 09:40   #5
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
for anyone who reckons they have done 30,000 miles+ without bursting one, I ask "are you sure and how do you know?" You might be running with the compressor working full time, doing nothing.
Even if it were to somehow burst quietly - compressor can be heard running constantly + an air leak can be heard as well. There's a more pronounced turbo lag - admittedly this would go unnoticed by most drivers..

How are you doing quacker! It's been a while. What did you end up getting as a replacement for your 90?

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 10:22   #6
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Even if it were to somehow burst quietly - compressor can be heard running constantly + an air leak can be heard as well. There's a more pronounced turbo lag - admittedly this would go unnoticed by most drivers..

How are you doing quacker! It's been a while. What did you end up getting as a replacement for your 90?
I have fairly good ears and very good mechanical 'feel', having been driving since my 5th birthday more or less. Air leak may, as I mentioned, vary depending on where the pipe burst. There was no noise when the second pipe popped apart from the initial pop. The compressor in mine was very quiet and if someone is not really familiar with the car, or is just used to it, they would not know it was running. The lag off idle was also surprisingly little and I suspect that the main issue would be an initial burst of soot, caught be the DPF. After all, they did away with power-pulse as soon as Adblue was adopted didn't they? As far as I know, there is no resultant turbo lag in terms of performance loss when accelerating from idle as a result of its deletion.

I look in every few weeks. In early December with the vaccine imminent, I thought that the worse was probably over and more travel was probably practical and possible by early Spring. How wrong I was. So I should have avoided a replacement car until March at the earliest. Now there's the Brazil variant. Thing's just keep getting worse.

Anyhow, what I have got is a new diesel with eight speed DCT auto, seven seats like the XC90, slightly more roomy in all rows [I know because the rubber mats from the Volvo have been transferred and they are a very slack fit but perfectly shaped]. Very similar equipment and safety, including a pilot assist and adaptive cruise etc. 10" screen but with some buttons and buttons for climate control. It has separate blower controls and vents for the third row. Eight USB ports rather than one in the Volvo. Heated second row reats standard.

Only the mid spec version of three is offered with Diesel engine in the UK, so it misses the top spec audio [standard is fine] and more oddly, seat memory. It also misses the Volvo options of HUD and pano roof which I had on Volvo but don't particularly miss, which are standard on top spec [petrol] models. It gains as much as it loses really. No discernible loss of performance either.

Decided to contract hire this one for three years. Since I am VAT registered I claim half of the monthly rental VAT back. It costs me £16/day to hire, which is £3 more than one packet of cigarettes these days apparently. That includes the deposit averaged out. £150/month less than a PCP and in my calculations way less than the probable depreciation on a new car over three years [50%] £5000 less I reckon, plus there are tax advantages as well.

What is it? It's the recently launched Kia Sorento. This is a review of the very basic petrol version https://youtu.be/BMQfOqVZCP8

This one is the top of the range diesel, which is more like mine except I don't get the remote parking feature, the sunroof, seat memory and cooling or the surround camera with 'blind spot' view coming up in the instruments. Or the HUD and a few other trinkets.
https://youtu.be/YU6ildqQ9sc

Last edited by Quacker; Jan 15th, 2021 at 11:08.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 10:30   #7
Haldex
Premier Member

Ne, well not in mainland Europe anyways. There are AdBlue versions of D5 PP engines here.

Literally all blown PP pics I've seen so far the blow was either on the metal join or right next to it- and this part of the pipe is visible from above- so another way of telling is visual inspection. Ofcourse, as said - for most average drivers it will go unnoticed.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 10:53   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Ne, well not in mainland Europe anyways. There are AdBlue versions of D5 PP engines here.

Literally all blown PP pics I've seen so far the blow was either on the metal join or right next to it- and this part of the pipe is visible from above- so another way of telling is visual inspection. Ofcourse, as said - for most average drivers it will go unnoticed.
The second pipe that burst on mine was at that joint. The first was somewhere else 'down below'.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 13:36   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
The second pipe that burst on mine was at that joint. The first was somewhere else 'down below'.
When mine blew with a very loud bang it was holed below out of site as well, I drove around for months until it went in for service and never noticed and difference in power or noise etc but I am not a heavy footed driver, I might have noticed if I were, I think I noticed a bit of improvement when the pipe was replaced.
Strangely when it went with a bang I could have sworn it was at the back of the car that the bang came from, just shows how noises can travel.
The bang scared a few people in the carpark when it happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 13:50   #10
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
The compressor in mine was very quiet and if someone is not really familiar with the car, or is just used to it, they would not know it was running.
I've never heard the compressor running in mine at all.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote