Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Power Pulse Pipe

Views : 2361

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2021, 14:36   #11
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
This one is the top of the range diesel, which is more like mine except I don't get the remote parking feature, the sunroof, seat memory and cooling or the surround camera with 'blind spot' view coming up in the instruments. Or the HUD and a few other trinkets.
https://youtu.be/YU6ildqQ9sc
Cool. Like the looks of new Sorento - Telluride looks even meaner. We don't get the diesel here in F though, at least not yet.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 14:50   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
I've never heard the compressor running in mine at all.
I never heard mine running before but I notice it now after the pipe was replaced, on first start up for a short time, but only from outside the car. I wonder if it was actually working correctly before and thats why I never noticed any performance drop, was it back pressure that blew the pipe ?. Mmm we will never know.
Maybe I only hear it now because I am aware of what it is.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 15:31   #13
Lexman8
Premier Member

If there is a leak in the PP system, eg burst pipe, the compressor will run for a short while then shut down and a fault code will be stored. The compressor won't run again until the code is cleared.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 17:58   #14
Fursty Ferret

What does it sound like? I have an air compressor for tools and it's hellishly noisy. Pretty sure there are no fault codes, was in the dealer yesterday for new key and software update.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 20:47   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Its a quiet whirring sound coming from drivers side front corner low down behind the corner of the bumper it usually only runs for about 30 seconds or so while pressure is restored to power pulse tank, imagine a small electric tyre pump.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 07:16   #16
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
If there is a leak in the PP system, eg burst pipe, the compressor will run for a short while then shut down and a fault code will be stored. The compressor won't run again until the code is cleared.
Never saw a fault code on mine.
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 10:19   #17
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Never saw a fault code on mine.
No information is relayed to the driver. Here's the text (Google translated) from the tech doc about it:

Leakage, large
 Large leakage diagnosed by active compressor enter the pressure increase in the system is going on. Within a predetermined time interval, a dozen or so seconds, is expected to pressure increase for example, 0.1 bar in each time interval.
 If a leak would be discovered is closed Power Pulse by.
 No information communicated to the driver if the error code is set, or to Power Pulse is turned off.
 In order to Power Pulse back to initialize required that the error be corrected and that the error code erased.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 13:47   #18
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
Its a quiet whirring sound coming from drivers side front corner low down behind the corner of the bumper it usually only runs for about 30 seconds
I'll take your word for it because I can't hear anything, though I suppose it could still be holding pressure from Wednesday.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 14:00   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Before retiring I worked in the chemical industry and we used flexible pipes that held extremely high pressure, many times greater than the power pulse system and I never seen one pop, Volvo under rated these pipes, they should never fail.
Owners should have life time free replacement. But at least they can get one.
the hose doesn't burst it is the engine movement where the pipe is crimped to the union on the end ..
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 15:25   #20
Computastar

Default Thought the PP Pipe issue had been rectified MY19?

But obviously not, when giving the bus a blast off with the jet wash last weekend, I topped up the washer fluid and checked the PP pipe, as a MY19 D5 It was my understanding that a new pipe had been fitted which was more robust.
Not the case, there was the PP pipe lose from the crimped connector, I never heard a pop or felt any noticeable drop in acceleration, but then from this asthmatic soviet tractor engine I’m not likely too.
Only saving grace with COVID-19, dealer workshop is empty so were able to fit it in the next day and swap the pipe.
This will be my first and last Volvo, such things shouldn’t be happening 7 years after release and I know the D5 PP is no more, but I agree with Quacker, if I were in the market 4 pot diesel 7 seater I'd go for the Kia, 7 year/100000 mile warranty and all the kit.
This just reinforces my belief that Volvo are in no man’s land, not good enough to be up with the 'prestige marques' but too expensive to justify the cost over something like the Kia, and the Chinese influence is becoming more apparent with build quality issues.
Computastar is offline   Reply With Quote