Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-enabling passenger airbag.

Views : 481

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2017, 08:21   #1
48valves

Default Re-enabling passenger airbag.

First post here, so hello everyone.

I purchased an 05 Ocean Race Edition yesterday. Lovely car for the money. Needs a bit of tidying up in places but otherwise its great.

The previous owner had the passenger airbag coded off due to them needing to put a child seat in the front.

Before I pay Volvo to turn it back on is there a way to do it myself?

Ive searched for thread about coding software (Dice I think) but I cant seem to find an answer to whether buying a reader and the software would enable me to turn it back on. Or even a definitive answer to what reader and software I would need.

I really need this doing quite urgently as obviously I want the airbag back on ASAP.

Thanks
48valves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 09:08   #2
stephenlumb67

Hi there,

Not at car now but from what i recall, if you open passenger door you`ll see a place for your car key on the left, which is part of the dash. I thought you could use your car key to turn air bag on and off.

Cheers
stephenlumb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 09:10   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48valves View Post
First post here, so hello everyone.

I purchased an 05 Ocean Race Edition yesterday. Lovely car for the money. Needs a bit of tidying up in places but otherwise its great.

The previous owner had the passenger airbag coded off due to them needing to put a child seat in the front.

Before I pay Volvo to turn it back on is there a way to do it myself?

Ive searched for thread about coding software (Dice I think) but I cant seem to find an answer to whether buying a reader and the software would enable me to turn it back on. Or even a definitive answer to what reader and software I would need.

I really need this doing quite urgently as obviously I want the airbag back on ASAP.

Thanks
Does it not have a key switch on the passenger side edge of the dash (noticed when door open) all my XC90's had this, if so use ignition key to turn it back on.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 10:09   #4
48valves

There is no switch to turn off the airbag. Hence the previous owner had to have it coded off by Volvo.

It's £60 top get Volvo to turn it back on which is why I was thinking of getting a code reader and software and doing it myself if the cost wasn't too much more.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 12:06   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

Yes VIDA/DiCE will do the job. DiCE is the hardware that plugs into the OBD2 port. VIDA is the software and runs only on Win7 Pro. You can one online (eBay) or from cheshired5 on this forum. Cost, about £80.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 21:12   #6
foxhole
XC90 54 plate dark green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48valves View Post
There is no switch to turn off the airbag. Hence the previous owner had to have it coded off by Volvo.

It's £60 top get Volvo to turn it back on which is why I was thinking of getting a code reader and software and doing it myself if the cost wasn't too much more.
Have a key operated switch on my xc90 04 plate but regardless of being in on or off position bag shows as being off.
foxhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 21:30   #7
harveys
Master Member

I would say dealer only as a software update is required. Chinese knockoff units and software cannot do software updates.
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 13:48   #8
48valves

Hi all.

Forgot to update this with the solution.

After spending a couple of hours and £100 at a main dealer
who couldn't turn the airbag back on. (Not very happy)

I took it to an indie that a friend with an XC90 reccomended. He fixed it in 5 minutes. Apparently the wire to the airbag had been disconnected and then the error coded out.

Looks like the original dealer in Leeds were a bit naughty.