Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS / Traction Control Service?

Views : 529

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2019, 23:12   #1
Major Baldy

Default ABS / Traction Control Service?

I'm sure you know the feeling, it's Christmas time money is tight, I've got lots of road trips ahead seeing family and friends but my good old 2011 XC90 throws up a few error messages and like a scene out of the film 'Meet the Fockers' my father in law, my wife and my kids have all been saying. "What's that error message on your dash board?" And I say don't panic I'll get it sorted..so using my iCarsoft VOL 2 I'm getting a BCM-0108 fault code with the usual ABS / Traction Control and Brake Assist Service required message. Looking up the code it seems to have something to the Steering wheel Angle sensor. There's no other fault code reported. Should I jump in and replace the Steering Angle Sensor? Or could this be something else? My view is that a new SAS is a £250 DIY fix or circa £800 for Dealer to fix.
Incidentally my iCarsoft seems to have a function for the calibration of new Steering Angle Sensors, I just wondered if anyone had experienced this?
Major Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 03:37   #2
4x4
Premier Member

My ABS / Traction Control and Brake Assist Service required message came on Sunday when I was out caused by a faulty ABS sensor. New part ordered Monday, arrived Tuesday and fitted before Santa came down the chimney

I also used iCarsoft VOL II for my diagnostics and it said it was my right wheel sensor which is easier to change than the reluctance ring but harder on the wallet

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 576C4278-1AD8-4621-B1BD-3B09923B8DE8.jpeg (112.7 KB, 62 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website

Last edited by 4x4; Dec 26th, 2019 at 03:50.
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 13:56   #3
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, I sympathise.. just spent money to have engine replaced (cracked head) and the sas failed, in my case an internal fault diagnosed with Vida which I had, but confirmed by my indie.

After all my previous expense, Christmas costs etc, I still opted for my local indie to change my sas.

It took just 30 mins and he reset the sensor/codes too, cost was £60 which is a normal charge for them just to read codes.

So firstly, and my recommendation, before you order a new sas, make sure someone reads codes with vida just to be sure. I chose to get my indie to change it but there are YouTube videos on replacement should you go that route.

For me, getting someone who could change quickly and efficiently was my choice. I just sat and drank tea!

Good luck

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 19:01   #4
oragex
Premier Member

Look first at the reluctor rings, front ones may develop a small crack, rear ones may get covered with metallic debris (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...mittent-79061/). Also check the axle drives center bolts are well tight
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 21:42   #5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Look first at the reluctor rings, front ones may develop a small crack, rear ones may get covered with metallic debris (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...mittent-79061/). Also check the axle drives center bolts are well tight
This was the case with my XC90; it started with an intermittent message that would sometimes go off three or four days before re-appearing, then became constant.
Changing the front reluctant rings was an easy job, only taking about 45 minutes per side. I got mine from GSF via ebay and they were only £6 or £7 each, so nothing is lost if you change them and it doesn’t cure the problem
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote