Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are HID lights too dangerous?

Views : 687

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 08:51   #1
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Are HID lights too dangerous?

I was discussing HID light conversions with Phil Wright yesterday and he mentioned some points that I hadn't found in any of the websites selling the units.

I thought I'd share these with anyone who is considering (as I was) a HID installation in their car.

The "warm-up" period of the HID gas discharge bulb makes them suitable for dipped beam use ONLY - you can't just flick them on as you would a normal bulb.

Current legislation says that HID installations must be combined with automatic washing and levelling systems; this is to stop beam scatter from dirty lenses and the danger of blinding oncoming drivers with a heavily loaded car.

So far, so good - but the real and literal killer comes with the actual bulbs themselves.

What I didn't realise is that the HID system requires the bulb to be POSITIVELY pressurised, up to some 7 atmospheres in larger discharge bulbs.

So unlike the normal evacuated bulb, the HID is a glass-coated hand grenade waiting to explode.

This is why bulb replacement is a dealer fit item on many standard HID-equipped cars, a dropped bulb when you're replacing it will leave your face looking like Freddy Kruger's and you may very well be blinded into the bargain.

The other danger is a low-speed headlamp busting accident; what would normally be a simple glass replacement could turn into a small bomb going off and injuring passers-by, especially since aftermarket installation means that the headlamp unit is not designed for a positive pressure bulb inside it.

I certainly won't be fitting HID into my car and I would recommend that other readers don't either.

If you get a full HID-designed unit that's another matter, but the standard headlamp is not a HID-compatible item.

Simon Linton, 850/70
Register Keeper
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 10:24   #2
Matt_Watkins

Default RE: Are HID lights too dangerous?

Doing a lot of motoray mile I tend to find that cars fitted with these bulbs tend to blind oncoming traffic regardless if they are on main beam or full beam.

However I had a new S40 as a loan car whilst my car had some work done to it and I have to say that Gas Discharge bulbs do give a better field of vision when driving at night.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 13:25   #3
sholtby
Premier Member

I'm not a fan of these lights either. I find them dazzling and they seem to cause a flickering blue light which can be confused with emergency vehicles.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 14:06   #4
karlp

Just a few comments on your post.

The HID stystem can be used on main beam - I had after market kits fitted to both high and low beams on a V70R AWD. The ignition is almost instant (well it was on mine anyway).

Since the bulbs are designed to last the lifetime of the car then bulb replacement is not usually performed by the motorist.

In a low-speed headlamp busting accident - isn't the lens already busted so would not the same problem occur on a standard HID system.

Reputable companies like Philips would have considered these issues - the problem occurs when you purchase cheap Asian items that have a lower quality.

Karl
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 12:55   #5
Billy Sasterd

Simon,

Don't let the motorists friend Richard Brunstrom (Chief Constable of North Wales) hear about your findings, he will probably want to outlaw these as well as tinted windows (see tinted widows post) and nanny us to death with this as well!

Chris
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 13:31   #6
john d
VOC Member

Simon,

I was discussing this type of lighting with a friend last Friday. He has these lamps fitted to his BMW, and one failed a while ago. He expected to be able to replace it with a "£4.95 lamp from Halfords".

When he took it to the dealer, they said the good news would be £70 for a new lamp, while the bad news would be £300+ if the control box needed replacement! Unfortunately, his was bad news, and to say he wasn't best pleased would be putting it mildly.

Whilst I'm sure these lights represent progress, I can't reconcile it at this level of cost, and I've taken this "improvement" off my list of things to do.

John
john d is offline   Reply With Quote