Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

30th Anniversary introduction 700 Series.

Views : 17246

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 08:56   #1
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default 30th Anniversary introduction 700 Series.

I cannot believe I've heard nothing about any plans to celebrate the launch of the 700 series!

The 760 was the first 700 launched in 1982; I've reviewed all recent copies of the club magazine - again nothing.

We have a national (as well as regional) BKVs, why are the organisers so inert? Seems everyone has a blind spot where the 700 is concerned, club included.

This is a pity given the 700s role in reviving Volvo at a critical time in it's history.

Comments of a helpful nature please, and relevant to the issue - I am especially interested in hearing from 700 owners on this.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 10:42   #2
bob12
bob12

Couldn't agree more. However, I note from the April issue of the 'Driver' that arrived yesterday, that at the end of the 'Chairman's Chat' (p6) under 'NEC2102' there is a suggestion of putting up "a 760 as it was a significant model for Volvo". Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 15:47   #3
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Couldn't agree more. However, I note from the April issue of the 'Driver' that arrived yesterday, that at the end of the 'Chairman's Chat' (p6) under 'NEC2102' there is a suggestion of putting up "a 760 as it was a significant model for Volvo". Bob.
I think the Chairman's comment was perhaps made to keep the"classic"member's happy...I think we should see the 760 as historically important for the simple reason that it launched the 700 range; but the 740(from 1984, and the 745 from 1986-1985MY)were numerically and financially far more significant.

The 700 put Volvo into a different segment for luxury estate cars, and also enabled Volvo to enter the growing company car sector.

No mention in his piece about the 30th Anniversary of Volvo's most important car of the last quarter of the 20th Century.

My comment about the"Charman's Chat", is could do(a lot)better.

Prufrock.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 20:49   #4
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi Prufrock I wasn't even aware of such an occassion!But now I am what about a 700 series line up,Not just the usual one or two that turn up to the national which inevitably get mixed in with the 900. but a concerted effort by us 700 owners to try and bring as many model variants as possible.
Maybe as it's a special day we could have a special award for oldest 700 or rarest?Just something to make the day special for the 700.
I'm willing to bring my 740GLE estate H reg late 1990 facelift model.

So any interest from the other 740 owners then please post up any suggestions.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:47   #5
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Hi Prufrock I wasn't even aware of such an occassion!But now I am what about a 700 series line up,Not just the usual one or two that turn up to the national which inevitably get mixed in with the 900. but a concerted effort by us 700 owners to try and bring as many model variants as possible.
Maybe as it's a special day we could have a special award for oldest 700 or rarest?Just something to make the day special for the 700.
I'm willing to bring my 740GLE estate H reg late 1990 facelift model.
So any interest from the other 740 owners then please post up any suggestions.
Regards Brian.
Thanks for the support Brian,

I have emailed Bob Isaacs, but agree(with you)that the support needs to come from here and the club; let's hope we hear from 700 owners with both support for an"event"and suggestions too.

Be a great pity if 2012 disappears without any celebration for the 700 - just have to have a party at my house!

We should certainly have an exclusive area at the BKV for 700s - part of the problem is being categorised with the 900s who clearly outnumber 700s, and, as a result the 700 has become the Cinderella car.

We should have a separate Register/Section for the 700 now.

Prufrock.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:01   #6
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Smile 700series

Time goes by so fast these days that its hard to think of 30years of the no 1 car in our opinion.
Hopefully depending on health i shall attend in my 745gle reg no E175PAH and like others i do not like being judged with 900series,in past years 3 or more of same model were judged seperately but because of the number of 7series not comeing to bkvs both the 7 and 9 were placed together.
The VOC club register Peter Milnes for 7and 9 serirs is seldom heard from in club magazine,now why my freind Prufrock as a knowledgeable person on the 7series dont you volunteer to start a seperate register you have my backing to do so.
Iwill send an e-mail to Nigel Ayling as he apears to be doing most of the organiseing and get an answer from him we can ask for a seperate pitch for a 700 line up away from the judgeing and see what there answer is..regards sunnyvic
VOC Disabled register Membership No 3286
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunnyvic For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:54   #7
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Cinderella will go to the BKV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvic View Post
Time goes by so fast these days that its hard to think of 30years of the no 1 car in our opinion.
Hopefully depending on health i shall attend in my 745gle reg no E175PAH and like others i do not like being judged with 900series,in past years 3 or more of same model were judged seperately but because of the number of 7series not comeing to bkvs both the 7 and 9 were placed together.
The VOC club register Peter Milnes for 7and 9 serirs is seldom heard from in club magazine,now why my freind Prufrock as a knowledgeable person on the 7series dont you volunteer to start a seperate register you have my backing to do so.
Iwill send an e-mail to Nigel Ayling as he apears to be doing most of the organiseing and get an answer from him we can ask for a seperate pitch for a 700 line up away from the judgeing and see what there answer is..regards sunnyvic
VOC Disabled register Membership No 3286
Thanks Vic.

I did not really want to put my head above the parapet, but given the Cinderella status of the 700 series, I would be happy to start a 700 register - I have previous experience in another car club.

There should be (particularly at this time) articles and lively discussions about the 700 in the club magazine as well as online here. And whilst we 700 owners are small in number, we're big on enthusiasm and knowledge for this important Volvo.

I'd like to see the 700 promoted more within the club and in the classic movement generally.

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Apr 5th, 2012 at 12:12. Reason: typo
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:37   #8
bob12
bob12

I would support a separate 700 Register run by Prufrock.

I also strongly believe that it is important for every Register Keeper to appear to be active (no matter what good work they have done in the past), and that includes submitting notes for the 'Driver' on a regular basis ..... after all, that is our 'official' shop window on the world. If, for whatever reason, it is not possible for a Keeper to be seen to be active they should seriously consider relinquishing their post.

I would be more than happy to join up with other 700 owners for whatever might be organised, assuming the location and my commitments do not clash. However, I am not a 'bonnet opening' sort of participant, although in my opinion the outside looks nice and smart!!

Best of luck,

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:55   #9
tim030654

I think a separate 700 Register (and perhaps forum area) is a good idea. Certainly until the facelift the 700 series were a much simpler car lacking in electronic gizmos and sensors that are only something else to go wrong!
- 1996 to 2012 - 1989 740GL Estate - 2.0l petrol
- 1987 to 1996 - 1987 340DL - 1.4l petrol
tim030654 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tim030654 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 15:13   #10
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim030654 View Post
I think a separate 700 Register (and perhaps forum area) is a good idea. Certainly until the facelift the 700 series were a much simpler car lacking in electronic gizmos and sensors that are only something else to go wrong!
Agreed Tim,

More 30th Anniversaries in 2014, the launch of the 740: in 2015, the launch of the 745..!

Prufrock.