Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D4 - EGR Electric Aux Water Pump

Views : 1137

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2022, 15:13   #1
swany99

Default S60 D4 - EGR Electric Aux Water Pump

Hi Folks,

So the wife car is a 2016 S60 with D4 engine and recently the management light came on so checked it out with a non-Volvo code reader as it could read the can connections ok. The code was P24A7 which was not recognised by the code reader. Upon some ‘google’ searches I found one similar for P24A7-00 on a Volvo V40 with the D4 engine so assumed it was the same. The code is EGR Electric Auxiliary Water Pump.

Got one today £120 later, not fitted yet as the leaflet advises it’s got to be programmed! Can someone advise if this is the case and if replaced and not programmed any side effects. It’s surely just an aux water pump with a 12v feed, earth and signal don’t see why it would need programming.

Thanks
swany99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 16:48   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany99 View Post
Hi Folks,

So the wife car is a 2016 S60 with D4 engine and recently the management light came on so checked it out with a non-Volvo code reader as it could read the can connections ok. The code was P24A7 which was not recognised by the code reader. Upon some ‘google’ searches I found one similar for P24A7-00 on a Volvo V40 with the D4 engine so assumed it was the same. The code is EGR Electric Auxiliary Water Pump.

Got one today £120 later, not fitted yet as the leaflet advises it’s got to be programmed! Can someone advise if this is the case and if replaced and not programmed any side effects. It’s surely just an aux water pump with a 12v feed, earth and signal don’t see why it would need programming.

Thanks
It has 3 wires? the third will be speed information so it will have electronics inside so maybe it will , try it first and make sure yours has three terminals.

how much was the volvo one ?

Last edited by Clan; Nov 26th, 2022 at 16:50.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 16:56   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Christ on a bike is there anything on these cars that doesn't need to coded in!
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 19:16   #4
swany99

Well I decided to crack on with the job and oh my what an absolute pig of a job in the most awkward place with no space. Even had to resort to putting hot glue on the torx so I could get the screws started without them dropping as it’s that deep!

So unit replaced and so far so good, error memory cleared and no active codes after a few test runs and stop / starts.

Oh and no programming either. See photo of the unit I took off where the washed was sitting on the impeller housing where it’s supposed to be on the shaft between the housing and clip, worn and has come adrift and the magnet must have kept it from going further into the system.

Fingers crossed I never need to do one of them again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0BB44870-CBF0-4F48-B575-DF95E7FD2BED.jpg (143.2 KB, 49 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to swany99 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 20:58   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Good job Swany I did the egr rad cover on my Insignia, same pig of a job buried and screws right where you can't see them, check your coolant level tomorrow it might settle overnight and be low in the morning.

p.s Blutak in the socket helps keep bolt heads and the socket together for the awkward and down facing area's.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 00:24   #6
swany99

Yeah the warning light for coolant came on tonight, all topped up now.

Thanks for the Bluetak tip 👍
The Following User Says Thank You to swany99 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 16:46   #7
Samankwaa

Thanks for your write up,
My xc60 is also having same issue. I have bought the pump and want to try the job myself, will you able to share some more photos of where the electric pump is located
Samankwaa is offline   Reply With Quote