Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti-skid Temporarily Off - AGAIN

Views : 4467

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2018, 16:59   #1
jamesholley

Default Anti-skid Temporarily Off - AGAIN

Hi guys

I have had this message intermittantly for about the last couple of months.

It happens when I have the car in full left lock, mainly makig a turn fro the road into my drive.

I had the car in my local garage a couple of weeks ago for another issue, and had them read the codes. They suggested the steering angle sensor as a possible cause.

Now, they did not write down the exact codes that were on the car, but advised they had cleared them down and to see if they reappeared. Which they did.

So they have graciously let me drop it in again for a free read of the codes as they are at fault for not noting them down initially. But they are looking to replace the SAS.

I have done some googling, and a new part comes in at around £240, which is not cheap. Throw in another two hours labour for fitting and road testing and I am looking at a £400 bill.

Question is, is it definately a case of a new SAS, or could in just need re-aligning. My thoughts are that when I do this left hand lock, I have to bump the car up a kerb.

Do I need to splash out £240 on a new unit or is my theory at all plausible?

Once I get the actual codes from them on Thursday, I will update this post.

Thanks in advance

James
jamesholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 17:14   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

If the SAS is at fault that quotation seems about right to replace it. There is no such thing as a realignment.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 17:43   #3
jamesholley

Thanks for the update.

It just seems odd to me that it only throws up the error when on full left lick, and the only time I ever do full left lock is pulling onto the drive.

I may just have to wait until I save up the cash or consider a used SAS.
Thanks

James
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 18:21   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi,

Your fault symptoms are exactly those of a faulty steering angle sensor, the price quoted is about right, don't try and fit a second hand SAS as it will undoubtedly be worn and you'll end up paying for two lots of labour (and a new SAS)

Just one of the many (expensive) jobs associated with running an XC90!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 18:59   #5
docjd

agreed will be SAS-common problem-had mine replaced a year ago!
Also my Anti skid service required came on again recently-and front drivers side tyre looked a bit deflated -it was -pumped up and Anti skid service went away!-probably a slow leak .

Good luck with getting it sorted
docjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 20:26   #6
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Agree it’s the SAS but it’s not hard to fit one. You need to disconnect the battery, remove the column shrouds, remove the airbag and then the steering wheel, the SAS is attached to the clock spring and this is held in by a couple of screws. It takes about 10 mind plus a further 10 to let the election to discharge after the battery disconnection.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 08:39   #7
jamesholley

Thanks for all your advice.

I have seen the videos regarding replacement and it does look straight forward. The big thing for me is the airbag as it is a scary part to start mucking about with.

I will speak to the garage and see what they say when they read the codes again.

The options I suppose for me are get them to fit a used part, so saving money. But run the risk of fitting a well worn part.

Buy a brand new part and fit it myself, saving the cost of garage labour.

If I went for the latter option, I don't need anything like VIDA to reset anything,calibrate anything or update software do I?
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 10:04   #8
05XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjd View Post
agreed will be SAS-common problem-had mine replaced a year ago!
Also my Anti skid service required came on again recently-and front drivers side tyre looked a bit deflated -it was -pumped up and Anti skid service went away!-probably a slow leak .

Good luck with getting it sorted
Tyre pressures can cause this message??
I've had it a few times over the past year and a half, but it usually clears itself. I do have a slow on the rear and occasionally on the front. Rims need refurbed as all tyres and valves were replaced and sealed last year.
05XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 12:15   #9
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
Buy a brand new part and fit it myself, saving the cost of garage labour.

If I went for the latter option, I don't need anything like VIDA to reset anything,calibrate anything or update software do I?
That's the correct option in my opinion, assuming you can do the work. Fitting a second hand part would be a mistake. No calibration required. Just follow the airbag precautions (Haynes has a good guide) - basically disconnect the battery and wait 10 mins before starting work.

Also check this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oRoAJpbeJQ

Last edited by gmonag; Jun 5th, 2018 at 12:19.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gmonag For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 14:12   #10
jamesholley

Thanks Greg

I work in IT, so taking things apart is nothing new to me, and technically I should be able to do this if no calibration is required post fitting.

Thanks for the youtube link, that certainly looks straightforward, if care is taken.