Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car not locking!

Views : 327

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2018, 17:06   #1
Wisewood

Default Car not locking!

New member, HI
I've just acquired a 54plate XC70 D5 but it has a few issues.
looks like the tailgate actuator has failed as the car is telling me it's open when it clearly isn't. I have a good used replacement on order.
Secondly, I fitted a new car battery as the original wouldn't hold charge, everything was fine (apart from the tailgate issue) but several hours after fitting battery the car now won't lock!
Even with the key in the drivers lock it unlocks again seconds later. Also put new battery in key fob.
My first thought was the change of car battery but I'm confused as it was working fine to start with??
Could it be related to the tailgate issue?
Could it possibly be a failed actuator in the drivers door? I have also got door actuators on order just in case.
Anyone got a clue what's going on ?
Thanks,
SimonHi
Wisewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 17:32   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Helps to ask your question in the correct section.
/Moving.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 19:44   #3
Theeggman

Have you had a look and pull of the wires inside the N/S tailgate hinge. Worth a look first before spending too much money

2005 XC70 Auto. Now Sold.
Theeggman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Theeggman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 19:51   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

And when you're done at the hinge,( some of the cores crack but the insulation looks ok so it's a meter job), have a look at the earth wire from the tailgate window heater. That is part of the intrusion detect system and if the earth is broken it gives the tailgate open message. The tell tale for this problem is the indicators don't flash when locking but flash on opening.
After that there is a bunch of ways the actuator can get sticky. It's relatively easy to open it up and get it free again.

Last edited by Brendan W; Jul 13th, 2018 at 19:58.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 21:31   #5
Wisewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Helps to ask your question in the correct section.
/Moving.

Des. . .
Sorry, thought this was a sub heading for XC70
Can a moderator point this to the correct forum please?
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 21:37   #6
Wisewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
And when you're done at the hinge,( some of the cores crack but the insulation looks ok so it's a meter job), have a look at the earth wire from the tailgate window heater. That is part of the intrusion detect system and if the earth is broken it gives the tailgate open message. The tell tale for this problem is the indicators don't flash when locking but flash on opening.
After that there is a bunch of ways the actuator can get sticky. It's relatively easy to open it up and get it free again.
Yes I checked this, it’s had a new rear window fitted prior to me. The earth to window was disconnected. Once connected the rear interior light came on but then stayed on as it thought the tailgate was still open. I disconnected again as I didn’t want to drain the battery.
Also the indicators don’t flash when locking/ unlocking( at least when I could lock it!)
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 22:31   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

It may be that the tailgate lock motor switch is not making. Either because the motor/actuator is sticking or the switch is faulty, less likely. If that switch does not close it has the same effect as broken glass. There should be a brown wire coming from the lock switch to the break sensor on the window and then a black to earth.
If you open the lock the actuator can be opened and the splined plastic rod greased with silicone or similar. You can then try to cycle it a few times.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 08:04   #8
petey
Master Member

VIDA should sort this in short order?
petey is offline   Reply With Quote