Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice for novice re D5 Euro 4 losing oil

Views : 2994

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 05:00   #1
mdmuddin

Default Advice for novice re D5 Euro 4 losing oil

Morning everyone

So, the questions I want answers of first:
1: Which oil should I use for my car?
2: What might have caused the sudden oil loss?
3: Am I likely to have put the engine in harms way by adding the oil I did?

Okay, so here’s the scenario. I’ve had my XC70 for a few months. I’ve covered about 2k miles so far. One London to Leicester trip (220 miles round), one London to Sheffield (360 miles round) and another few 100m round trips. I check the oil regularly and didn’t notice any drops. Last weekend, I went to Cambridge (about 120 miles round trip). When I drove the next day, I got an “Engine oil low” warning in the DIM. When I stopped, I checked the dipstick and it was right at the bottom of the marked region.

I had to make it home and it was past 7pm so went to the nearest petrol station to look for oil. After reading the forums from my phone, I couldn’t find any of the ones recommended. Also, as I haven’t changed the oil since purchase, I’m not sure exactly which oil was used last. I decided to go with what seemed the closest match to the oils recommended on forums:

CASTROL MAGNATEC 5W-30 A5 FULLY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-89658-ca...d-by-ford.aspx

I topped it up and got home. I checked it next morning and had to top up some more. Altogether, I added about 600ml to get it 2/3 up the dipstick marked region.

The only things that I can think of that have changed are the fact that I have used Shell Nitro+ Deisel for the last couple of tanks and the 5o mile journey back from Cambridge was a very “spirited” drive which some full throttle openings.

Regarding all the different oil recommendations, there’s a lot of detail out there on the forums but I am a bit confused. I don’t want an oil that will jeopardise the longevity of the engine, nor do I want really poor MPG. The car already has 198k miles on it, by the way. I drive mainly A roads but do some motorway as well as town driving and cover less than 10k annually.

So, back to the questions:

1: Which oil should I use for my car?
2: What might have caused the sudden oil loss?
3: Am I likely to have put the engine in harms way by adding the oil I did?
mdmuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 06:53   #2
4candles
I've Been Banned

1. As per manual
2. Turbo seals, crank seal, seal plug behind DMF
3. No
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 07:14   #3
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

The manausl states 0w30 a5 b5 but the oil you have used will be fine it won't have harmed anything. As above some places to check. Does the car run well? What I would do is keep a steady eye on it and see just how much it is using its not uncommon for these euro 4s to use a bit of oil.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 10:47   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

Check the coolant reservoir for signs of oily scum. The oil coolers have been known to develop pinhole leaks and allow oil and or coolant to go either way.
It's most unlikely that adding 600ml of what is a decent oil anyway did any harm whatsoever.
How many miles are on the car ?
I don't know what the nitro+ stuff is supposed to do but aggessive cleaning can shift carbon deposits and could snag rings or valve seats until things settle down again.
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious how level was the ground when previous level checks were done.
In addition to the points 4candles mentioned there is generally a plug behind the motor that has been known to let go, dumping a lot of oil out the back in short order. Time for a sheet of cardboard under the car for the night although if you still have the undertray fitted it can camouflage a leak for quite a while.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 12:04   #5
mdmuddin

Thanks for the replies. It seems to drive okay to me. It's my first Volvo though. Also, I've only had it for 2k miles so I wouldn't know if it used to drive any better.

Regarding the oils:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Ed...item4181f8b796

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-EDGE.../dp/B005UW90FO

Am I right to assume both of these are the same thing (and the correct oil) despite one saying "For Volvo Cars" and not the other?

Thanks again
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 12:09   #6
mdmuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Check the coolant reservoir for signs of oily scum. The oil coolers have been known to develop pinhole leaks and allow oil and or coolant to go either way.
It's most unlikely that adding 600ml of what is a decent oil anyway did any harm whatsoever.
How many miles are on the car ?
I don't know what the nitro+ stuff is supposed to do but aggessive cleaning can shift carbon deposits and could snag rings or valve seats until things settle down again.
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious how level was the ground when previous level checks were done.
In addition to the points 4candles mentioned there is generally a plug behind the motor that has been known to let go, dumping a lot of oil out the back in short order. Time for a sheet of cardboard under the car for the night although if you still have the undertray fitted it can camouflage a leak for quite a while.
Thanks Brendon,

Yes, it's usually parked on a level surface where I check the oil.

It's done 198k miles.

There was no undertray when I bought the car.

Whereabouts is the plug you mention sometimes lets go?

Any more advice based on that then?
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 14:05   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmuddin View Post
Whereabouts is the plug you mention sometimes lets go?
At the back of the block close to the centreline of the car. If it's gone I would expect to see a lot of oil on the steering rack and it's subframe.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 18:58   #8
Symes
Master Member

As has already been mentioned... check for obvious leaks, although if you have no undertray I think you'd have spotted something by now!

My D5 185 xc70 with 190k miles also has a thirst for engine oil, although topups are not always at regular mileage intervals. I'm also getting frequent 'soot filter full' messages and associated limp mode, I remove the dpf and jetwash it every so often.

I did have a blocked crankcase breather (filler cap fumes not sucked back into the block when reved) so I've cleaned the various pipes, diaphram and drains and things are good on that front, but in my case I can sometimes create a smokescreen behind the car if the conditions are right, seems to be after a warm engine, normal A road speeds followed by a 'cruise' with a very light or no throttle if downhill... the next application of 2k+ revs can be accompanied by the call to "make smoke number one!"
The symptoms lead me to either valve seals or turbo seals. Given absolutely no smoke when starting up after standing, I'm discounting the valves and looking to sort out the turbo with either a good replacement or (if theyre available now) a rebuild with a Mellet cartridge.

I think the oil is helping to lower the exhaust temperatures, making the ecu overfuel which is creating more soot which gets caught in the (slightly oily) dpf and so I'm expecting an improvement on my current ~34mpg when I've solved the consumption problem!
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 19:46   #9
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symes View Post
As has already been mentioned... check for obvious leaks, although if you have no undertray I think you'd have spotted something by now!

My D5 185 xc70 with 190k miles also has a thirst for engine oil, although topups are not always at regular mileage intervals. I'm also getting frequent 'soot filter full' messages and associated limp mode, I remove the dpf and jetwash it every so often.

I did have a blocked crankcase breather (filler cap fumes not sucked back into the block when reved) so I've cleaned the various pipes, diaphram and drains and things are good on that front, but in my case I can sometimes create a smokescreen behind the car if the conditions are right, seems to be after a warm engine, normal A road speeds followed by a 'cruise' with a very light or no throttle if downhill... the next application of 2k+ revs can be accompanied by the call to "make smoke number one!"
The symptoms lead me to either valve seals or turbo seals. Given absolutely no smoke when starting up after standing, I'm discounting the valves and looking to sort out the turbo with either a good replacement or (if theyre available now) a rebuild with a Mellet cartridge.

I think the oil is helping to lower the exhaust temperatures, making the ecu overfuel which is creating more soot which gets caught in the (slightly oily) dpf and so I'm expecting an improvement on my current ~34mpg when I've solved the consumption problem!
there comes a point where you need to replace the dpf even on the D5 as a regeneration leaves a small amount of ash behind. after nearly 200k it could be your dpf is now in need of replacement as the ash builds over time and is never burned away The only successful way to clean them is with heat and gas flow as the filter is made up of tiny right angle bends to trap soot and particles. obviously the pressure sensor is picking up its full all the time so it may be trying to continuously regenerate which isn't good for your oil or fuel consumption. obviously a full diagnostic check would confirm this before big money is spent on a turbo. Personally I would have thought your turbo would be fine if its been looked after
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 21:30   #10
4candles
I've Been Banned

Good info, makes me glad i sup from the green hose..
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote