Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which way around the M25 from Aylesbury to Swanley?

Views : 267

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2024, 09:52   #1
Sotosound
Premier Member

Default Which way around the M25 from Aylesbury to Swanley?

Tomorrow and Thursday, my good lady has to drive from Aylesbury to Bromley in Kent for a training course.

This is pretty much on the opposite side of London for her, and for the sake of simplicity she’s (probably wisely) opted to take the M25 all the way round to the Swanley exit despite whatever her Volvo satnav might suggest.

(She’s also decided to come home at night because it will at least guarantee proper food and a good sleep in her own bed. So, we also have to determine the best route home, but one thing at a time.)

Because the course starts at 10am tomorrow and 9am on Thursday, she is going to have to travel through the worst of the rush hour traffic each day, so I’m trying to help her decide upon the optimum – and I apply the term very loosely - route to take there.

We’ve been discussing whether she should go clockwise or anti-clockwise around the M25. Her immediate preference is anti-clockwise, as she has made that journey in the past, albeit from a slightly different starting point.

The shorter journey in miles is the clockwise route at just under 80 miles, while the anti-clockwise route is a bit longer at roughly 100 miles.

Clockwise would involve driving straight down the A41 to the M25, and then following the M25 all the way round, over the QE2 bridge, and getting off at the Swanley Interchange.

Anti-clockwise would involve driving cross-country via Chinnor and joining the M40 London-bound at the bottom of the Stokenchurch cutting. She would then get onto the anti-clockwise M25 at J16 (having skipped some of the awful queues that occur around Maple Cross) and go all the way around to the Swanley Interchange.

(There is also a route to the M40 that involves driving past Wendover, Amersham, and Beaconsfield, but she only knows the Chinnor route, which is also a far simpler route to navigate. Keep it simple.)

In the end, either journey will involve slow traffic, jams, and roadworks; and it’s a toss-up in my mind as to which route will end up taking the longer time. So, whichever route brings the easier and less stressful drive might be the one to go for.

In reality, however, I just don’t know, but earlier this morning I noticed a horribly long stretch of queuing rush hour traffic heading clockwise and south towards the Swanley Interchange. I also noticed, however, a lane closure east of Godstone on the anti-clockwise route that was causing slow traffic.

(Now, at 9:50am, the QE2 bridge appears to be closed, which isn’t good.)

So…. can any members offer any experience or advice to help firm up the decision?

Returning home, my guess is to go anti-clockwise via the Dartford Tunnel as I know from long experience that the clockwise M25 becomes a nightmare in the afternoon once you get past Leatherhead, but I’ll monitor again during this afternoon’s rush hour, and any views on this would also be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Old May 7th, 2024, 10:14   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

While I appreciate your wife's very valid reasons for returning home overnight, 'Sotosound', it also involves a lot of avoidable stress driving and unnecessary early starts with little guarantee of arriving on time.

She will presumably wish to start each day refreshed and will also be concentrating hard, so tired at the end of the day.

As it is only for one night, and if I were in your shoes, I would encourage my wife to forget about driving altogether and book in at a convenient Premier Inn or similar instead.

As for the route, I think it boils down to a choice between a six and two threes.

Regards, John.
Old May 7th, 2024, 10:27   #3
MDS40

The QE2 bridge is a bit like a scary roller coaster ride. So if your wife is not a fan of heights or getting stuck at the top i would avoid it at all costs.
Just my opinion but i hated it when working around that area .

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDS40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2024, 13:14   #4
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
While I appreciate your wife's very valid reasons for returning home overnight, 'Sotosound', it also involves a lot of avoidable stress driving and unnecessary early starts with little guarantee of arriving on time.

She will presumably wish to start each day refreshed and will also be concentrating hard, so tired at the end of the day.

As it is only for one night, and if I were in your shoes, I would encourage my wife to forget about driving altogether and book in at a convenient Premier Inn or similar instead.

As for the route, I think it boils down to a choice between a six and two threes.

Regards, John.
Many thanks.

We've both previously stayed away overnight because of work, and although it used to partially work for me, it never really worked for my good lady. She therefore thought long and hard and decided to come home. If the course was for a week or similar, however, then she might have thought again.

Having said that, whether she stays overnight or not, she still has to drive there and back during the rush hour at least once.

I guess then that it's possibly a case of getting stuck on the QE2 bridge one day versus getting stuck near Clackett Lane Services on another.
Old May 7th, 2024, 13:16   #5
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post
The QE2 bridge is a bit like a scary roller coaster ride. So if your wife is not a fan of heights or getting stuck at the top i would avoid it at all costs.
Just my opinion but i hated it when working around that area .
Many thanks.

I've driven over the QE2 bridge quite a few times and often with my good lady beside me. Driving over is different, however, from sitting in the passenger seat looking at your phone or reading your kindle.

Simply because of what happened today, I suspect that the QE2 bridge and its tunnel counterpart might be a bridge (and tunnel) too far.

Also, the A road on the south side of the bridge is a bit like dodgems or the ring road in Rome in places, and perhaps not the best road for those unfamiliar with it.

Last edited by Sotosound; May 7th, 2024 at 13:19.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2024, 14:09   #6
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Many thanks.

We've both previously stayed away overnight because of work, and although it used to partially work for me, it never really worked for my good lady. She therefore thought long and hard and decided to come home. If the course was for a week or similar, however, then she might have thought again.

Having said that, whether she stays overnight or not, she still has to drive there and back during the rush hour at least once.

I guess then that it's possibly a case of getting stuck on the QE2 bridge one day versus getting stuck near Clackett Lane Services on another.
I was the same, simply had to get home, hated staying in those damn lodges. But, be advised by me sir, whichever way you suggest is the 'best way' will inevitably be the worst option. And it will be your fault. Trust me on this.
Old May 7th, 2024, 14:17   #7
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I was the same, simply had to get home, hated staying in those damn lodges. But, be advised by me sir, whichever way you suggest is the 'best way' will inevitably be the worst option. And it will be your fault. Trust me on this.
Many thanks. I've just passed your contact details to my good lady.
Old May 7th, 2024, 15:38   #8
Nippy
VOC Member

I live in Tring, if it was me I’d be going the Clockwise route. That said, I’d pop it into Waze in the morning and see which way that suggested…..

SWMBO : 2016 V40 T3 R Design
Nippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nippy For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2024, 15:58   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I live in Tring, if it was me I’d be going the Clockwise route. That said, I’d pop it into Waze in the morning and see which way that suggested…..
Many thanks.

Does Waze show you the best route before you set out?
Old May 7th, 2024, 16:11   #10
Nippy
VOC Member

It will show you the best route when you set out, normally gives you a couple of options. Obviously if some thing happens on the way then that may change. This is screen shot now from Aston Clinton to Swanley.

IMG_3330.jpg

SWMBO : 2016 V40 T3 R Design

Last edited by Nippy; May 7th, 2024 at 16:16.
Nippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nippy For This Useful Post: