Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 broken down, second time today!

Views : 4853

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 18:30   #91
Laney760
VOC Member

Talking

Dave, the car was already at home, it was home start he came to me for!

You've just made me think - why do they call it HOME-START if he is representitive of what happens

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 18:34   #92
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Dave, the car was already at home, it was home start he came to me for!

You've just made me think - why do they call it HOME-START if he is representitive of what happens

Sorry Laney, i misunderstood! I thought that happened at the grage or somewhere away from home!

It certainly doesn't live up to its description of Homestart - false advertising comes to mind!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 19:06   #93
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
FUEL PUMP! Brilliant RAC man. Everything working, injectors switching over, he banged pump, she started but can't turn her off. Have to go, taking her to a garage in Henley for new fuel pump!
Evening E, So pleased for you,could 'hear' your smile from here, when she fired up. Yaber daber doo!!!!!!!!
Ref. your Main Man,offering a loan, I think it is the Arabic people have a saying 'The pleasure is in the giving' so to show your appreciation, Maybe cook his favourite meal? Or,better still,Whisk Him off to the kasbah,in The Volvo,of course!

Kindest Regards,K.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 19:25   #94
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Evening E, So pleased for you,could 'hear' your smile from here, when she fired up. Yaber daber doo!!!!!!!!
Ref. your Main Man,offering a loan, I think it is the Arabic people have a saying 'The pleasure is in the giving' so to show your appreciation, Maybe cook his favourite meal? Or,better still,Whisk Him off to the kasbah,in The Volvo,of course!

Kindest Regards,K.
Thanks Ksmi. He stays here three work nights a week normally and two nights he is here for dinner and I cook him his fave meals anyway. He wasn't here this week due to my planned half week in Wales and he had a stonking cold but he had already planned for next week to either rent me a car or work from my home whilst I used his brand new Toyota hybrid or for me to drop him at Heathrow where he works on my way to work and collect him on my way home. I wouldn't have acceped the hire car from him as I don't like him to have to spend his hard earned money on my dilemnas and I would have felt bad messing up his routine by using his car for the week to be honest

Yes, when she fired up I was SO happy! I had budgeted for a bill of up to a grand from Volvos, I used to use the main dealer in Reading for my Nissan over a decade ago and their bills were never under £300 then just for a basic service and they were ''only'' £100 an hour then as oppose to Volvo's £150

Edit, talking of dinners, I probably ought to take everyone on this thread out for dinner for their kindness in helping such a stressed out human! I don't have the time to be on here much anymore and had forgotten how people help each other so much on here!

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 11th, 2018 at 19:33.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:30   #95
Jebus
VOC Member

Glad to hear the problem is found and it's off to get fixed soon and not traded in

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:34   #96
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm just glad we were able to help in some small way, even if only to alleviate stress!

Just so you're aware, on top of the fuel pump cost, they should renew the seal as well, they don't last forever and don't always seal again once used, they're about £11 and easily available from Volvo.

The part number for said seal is 1367623 and this is what it looks like :

It's amazing how much it pongs if this seal leaks and it does you no favours when it drips on the MoT testers bald head!

Got to come out for the pump to be renewed so makes sense to fit a new one at the same time

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:55   #97
Laney760
VOC Member

Jebus, she'll never be traded in, she is one of the best things in my life. The trouble is I had begun to think she was invicible and could never let me down, it came a quite a shock when she wouldn't start!

Dave, I noticed that one of the scandi companies do a complete kit do a rebuild kit for the Bosch fuel pump but I'd rather have a new one. I will phone this garage in the morning and point that out, cheers, although I have to say they are usually very on the ball with things like that. I stopped using this garage, I'd used them for many years and they never really let me down but I did lose trust a bit after they were doing the emissions test on my Nissan and she was absolutely screaming and as soon as I drove her off the forecourt I noticed the signs and a blown headgasket was diagnosed that day. End of my lovely car. It was a very high tech highly strung advanced engine, high mileage. I won't say why or how I know but they must have red-lined, way over the 2500rpm. Shortly after that I was in the garage and heard a car being revved to the max on MOT, it made me feel ill. When I went there today they said 'Where 'av ya been?' and I told them that I'd lost a bit of faith in them over this which was sometime before I left them. Other than this they did great work for me for years

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 11th, 2018 at 23:03.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 23:25   #98
stephend
Premier Member

Laney - really pleased it's all fixed, and you can have confidence in your Volvo again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You understood perfectly!

Let me explain :

The ECU tells the fuel pump relay to run the pump(s) under two conditions :

1. If the engine is turning (either being cranked or running) and

2. For 1-2 seconds when the ignition is first switched on to prime the system.

After being cranked on the starter, the ECU holds the output for another 1-2 seconds to re-prime the system as the initial priming has been lost by being cranked. That is why i said turn the key to the start position and release it. The pump(s) should then run for a second or two.

It's handy if you run out of petrol - add more petrol, flick the starter and let the key go, pump runs for 1-2 seconds, repeat until the note of the pump changes, meaning it has built pressure up so should start easily.

The initial prime of 1-2 seconds when the ignition is first switched on is to restore running pressure to the injection system as it will have bled down since the last time it was used.
On cars with a separate cold start injector, this is often inhibited for up to 5 minutes between starts, as the cold start injector fires with the priming pulse on the pumps to give an extra bit of fuel for cold starts.
If repeated cold start attempts were made unsuccessfully, it would result in a flooded engine if this 5 minute delay wasn't used on cars with cold start injectors.

As a slight aside, the fuel pump relay has been playing up on mine for some time now and has lost the initial prime of 1-2 seconds, meaning i've either had to crank it over for several seconds before it fires or do the "flick the starter" trick to get the 1-2 second "re-prime", turning the key to start after that usually means it fires "first pot over the top" - in otherwords, the first cylinder that gets a full compression stroke after injection will catch as soon as it hits the firing point.
Dave, can I ask you to clarify something for me, please?

My 740, which is the B200E K-jet, has two pumps: the in-tank pump, and the main pump under the floor. I can hear the main pump moaning gently when the engine is running, and if I stall the engine. But in all the years I've had the car, I've never once heard either pump prime, even though the car fires up immediately on cranking. That hasn't changed even after fitting a new fuel pump relay.

On other cars I've had with petrol injection, I could clearly hear the pump prime when I switched the ignition on - so it's not my hearing!

Does your description - which I realise is aimed at Laney's car, which is a newer system than mine - apply to mine or not? In other words, should I be hearing a pump priming?

Thanks
Stephen
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 23:40   #99
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Jebus, she'll never be traded in, she is one of the best things in my life. The trouble is I had begun to think she was invicible and could never let me down, it came a quite a shock when she wouldn't start!

Dave, I noticed that one of the scandi companies do a complete kit do a rebuild kit for the Bosch fuel pump but I'd rather have a new one. I will phone this garage in the morning and point that out, cheers, although I have to say they are usually very on the ball with things like that. I stopped using this garage, I'd used them for many years and they never really let me down but I did lose trust a bit after they were doing the emissions test on my Nissan and she was absolutely screaming and as soon as I drove her off the forecourt I noticed the signs and a blown headgasket was diagnosed that day. End of my lovely car. It was a very high tech highly strung advanced engine, high mileage. I won't say why or how I know but they must have red-lined, way over the 2500rpm. Shortly after that I was in the garage and heard a car being revved to the max on MOT, it made me feel ill. When I went there today they said 'Where 'av ya been?' and I told them that I'd lost a bit of faith in them over this which was sometime before I left them. Other than this they did great work for me for years
These things happen once in a Blue Moon Laney and we've had a few of them this year!

With luck they've changed their MoT tester, if not go to wherever you go for MoT now when yours is next due. Which Nissan did you have?

The 2500rpm figure is kind of nominal, anywhere between 2500-3500rpm is acceptable to "condition" the cat but revving the doo-dahs off it most certainly isn't!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 23:52   #100
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
After being cranked on the starter, the ECU holds the output for another 1-2 seconds to re-prime the system...
Don't think that applies to a late 940.

On my '87 and '89 740 Turbos, no priming occurred in position II.