Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 broken down, second time today!

Views : 4849

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2018, 16:18   #111
Laney760
VOC Member

Still not on the road!

The fuel pump was coming in at 1pm today and I was expecting to pick the car up today

They just phoned to say that they've had a pump supplied by gsd and euro car parts and they are both wrong!

Its now 16:17 on a Friday afternoon, the garage don't open tomorrow and I've told my boss I'll be into work on Monday :-(

Edit, they're phoning Volvos to get the pump. I wish I'd supplied the pump myself but I guess they must have supplied registration and everything else needed to both their suppliers?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 12th, 2018 at 16:22.
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 16:39   #112
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laney760 View Post
still not on the road!

The fuel pump was coming in at 1pm today and i was expecting to pick the car up today

they just phoned to say that they've had a pump supplied by gsd and euro car parts and they are both wrong!

Its now 16:17 on a friday afternoon, the garage don't open tomorrow and i've told my boss i'll be into work on monday :-(

edit, they're phoning volvos to get the pump. I wish i'd supplied the pump myself but i guess they must have supplied registration and everything else needed to both their suppliers?
Ouch !!!!
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 16:44   #113
Laney760
VOC Member

Exclamation

Help!

Volvos have said that my fuel pump is not made anymore, it is obsolete. Plus the one as shown on Euro Car Parts above is wrong! That same number part was ordered by my garage, its the one Euro Car Parts say is for my car but when my garage got it it's not an in-tank one like it says, it's an under bonnet one

Can anyone tell me the correct part number for my fuel pump and where I can order one quickly please

Edit: 1997 2.3 lpt B230FK

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 12th, 2018 at 16:56.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 17:06   #114
Laney760
VOC Member

Volvos High Wycombe said all they can get is the bit which goes inside it, part number 9438756

Old Oct 12th, 2018, 18:04   #115
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

You couldn't make this up, all this to beat a 6pm deadline:

My garage rang Volvos Reading who said it's no longer made
My garage rang and told me
I didn't believe this so I rang Volvos High Wycombe who also thought it was obsolete just like Volvo Reading but it was just very hard to find on their system, apparently missing, they finally gave me the part number above which they said is just the pump innards
I searched Scandix website which had an identical matching part number to the one given me for my chassis number
I rang my garage and told them the part number and they googled it and they say it looks right, thats thats all they need, the middle bit, thats fine
I rang back Volvos High Wycombe to order it and they said they don't deliver but to ring Volvos Maidenhead who would deliver to my garage
I rang Volvos Maidenhead who said they will only deliver to my garage if my garage ring them and set up an account with them
I rang my garage to tell them to set up the account with Volvos Maidenhead and told them what parts to order. My garage said now we've got the part number for the pump (and the seal) we might just as well order from Volvo Reading
My garage rang Volvo Reading and ordered them

Now I need to lay down in a darkened room for half an hour :-)

I had this problem when ordering the belts, Volvos Reading admitted the part numbers on their system were wrong

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 12th, 2018 at 18:08.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 18:10   #116
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Still not on the road!

The fuel pump was coming in at 1pm today and I was expecting to pick the car up today

They just phoned to say that they've had a pump supplied by gsd and euro car parts and they are both wrong!

Its now 16:17 on a Friday afternoon, the garage don't open tomorrow and I've told my boss I'll be into work on Monday :-(

Edit, they're phoning Volvos to get the pump. I wish I'd supplied the pump myself but I guess they must have supplied registration and everything else needed to both their suppliers?
Laney - GSF don't even list the fuel pump for your car so whoever ordered it needs their butt kicking!

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/fu...-supply-system

You may have to add your reg number/car details but it shows they don't list a pump for the 95-on cars.

Sadly that doesn't help you now!

Maybe take your other half up on his offer of help (he gave several options i think?) and i'll have a look on ebay for you under that part number, maybe someone reading the thread has one stashed in their shed (i know these options would be secondhand but would get you mobile again!) or PFV has the pump repair kit which i see includes a new pump for about £60 (presumably + P&P) :

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...oducts_id=4514

However, looking at the Volvo part number that you say Volvo High Wycombe can get shows this :

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...8/9438756.html

It will be a bit more work than "one out, one in" for the garage but should get you running again. Not much coming up on ebay sadly except the S/V70 and 850 seem to share the same pump.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 18:12   #117
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
You couldn't make this up, all this to beat a 6pm deadline:

My garage rang Volvos Reading who said it's no longer made
My garage rang and told me
I didn't believe this so I rang Volvos High Wycombe who also thought it was obsolete just like Volvo Reading but it was just very hard to find on their system, apparently missing, they finally gave me the part number above which they said is just the pump innards
I searched Scandix website which had an identical matching part number to the one given me for my chassis number
I rang my garage and told them the part number and they googled it and they say it looks right, thats thats all they need, the middle bit, thats fine
I rang back Volvos High Wycombe to order it and they said they don't deliver but to ring Volvos Maidenhead who would deliver to my garage
I rang Volvos Maidenhead who said they will only deliver to my garage if my garage ring them and set up an account with them
I rang my garage to tell them to set up the account with Volvos Maidenhead and told them what parts to order. My garage said now we've got the part number for the pump (and the seal) we might just as well order from Volvo Reading
My garage rang Volvo Reading and ordered them

Now I need to lay down in a darkened room for half an hour :-)

I had this problem when ordering the belts, Volvos Reading admitted the part numbers on their system were wrong
What a palaver with a capital "F"!!! Got there in the end thankfully, i hope the garage are doing a one-off saturday morning (or late night tonight) to get you sorted!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 18:16   #118
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What a palaver with a capital "F"!!! Got there in the end thankfully, i hope the garage are doing a one-off saturday morning (or late night tonight) to get you sorted!
No, the part won't be in until Tuesday maybe, then they have to fit into my old one, best case scenario is that I will be back on the road Wednesday

Thats best case, thats if the part is right but Scandix give that identical part and number:

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...ctric/1014285/

Volvos are £170, Scandix are $270 for the same part

I daren't go to work on Monday because I may need to be here co-ordinating parts, deliveries, etc. If something goes wrong I can't start sorting it out from at work so my company will just have to deal with this I'm afraid

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 12th, 2018 at 18:20.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 19:36   #119
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
No, the part won't be in until Tuesday maybe, then they have to fit into my old one, best case scenario is that I will be back on the road Wednesday

Thats best case, thats if the part is right but Scandix give that identical part and number:

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...ctric/1014285/

Volvos are £170, Scandix are $270 for the same part

I daren't go to work on Monday because I may need to be here co-ordinating parts, deliveries, etc. If something goes wrong I can't start sorting it out from at work so my company will just have to deal with this I'm afraid
I take it you're not one of these lucky people who can work from home?

Meanwhile, fingers crossed it all goes to plan and you're mobile again in a few days on wednesday!

Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:22   #120
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Another example of Volvo sometimes being less expensive than a third party supplier? Always worth checking. And if we don't buy from Volvo dealers, how long will they continue bothering to sell for us?

Obviously your call. I think I would go to work.

An unpaid holiday or using your holiday allowance, I don't think you want that.

You've sorted the component. You don't seem like someone who wants the stress of micro managing the garage.

I appreciate transport is difficult. Can you perhaps stay somewhere near work for a few nights?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: