Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 broken down, second time today!

Views : 4857

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:52   #31
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Now I did read "lpg"

Pull fuse number 1 with ignition of and do a reset of the ECU!

Still 1 and 2 as DIY
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 10:02   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Hi, I often run on petrol, I've got over half a tank, doubt theres water in my petrol, she ran a long way up the motorway on the petrol in there very smoothly. I often run on petrol because I only have a 40 litre gas tank

I didn't know the emergency procedure to start on gas, I don't have any gas in! She's been starting first time perfectly well on this batch of petrol every day, every time, including when I first started up yesterday morning

I can't go and get gas or buy meths or anything because I live in a remote area and I have no car!

Just phoned in work, they were very understanding
I misunderstood - i thought you'd got gas in the garage because you ran out after having to return to get a second alternator belt.

The scenario you've just described, running perfectly well on petrol was the same as i had with my Coupé until i ran out of gas and couldn't get any due to a national supply problem (back in feb ish time) so had to keep running on petrol.

Worth remembering the car starts on petrol every time anyway then switches to gas once it's running.

Quote:
I've decided I'm going to have the car relayed by RAC into Volvos at Reading after trying a few things myself, I can't be relayed to the local indi, its over 10 miles away

The code reader seems to say 111 for each read after pressing the button twice which means nothing wrong on the fuel side of things on the code reading?

I'm losting money hand over fist whilst its off the road as I can't get into work

Rang my Volvo indi in Wales and they said with this model it's usually the fuel pump relay or the pressure switch near the in-line something or other or it could be the other fuel pump in the petrol tank (which I wondered)
Basically your Welsh indie has confirmed everything that has already been said in this thread with the added in-tank pump theory. Usually if the in-tank pump goes, there's enough gravity feed with half a tank to get the main pump going - not always though.

I hope your own efforts fix it to save you the cost of Volvo looking at it but if they do look at it, i hope you get one of the guys that worked on them when they were more current so he has a chance of finding the fault quicker.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 10:19   #33
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

@Dave: this 940 is with one pump only! A "high" pressure in tank pump.
No pre- and main pump system.

The volvo indi guy in Wales isn't good enough in his job, sorry.

What kind of bad fuel you've get in Great Britain?
I never got a problem with water in fuel in Mainland Europe.
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 10:31   #34
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Hi to all, thanks for your time. Yes Scooby, I know it starts on petrol which is why I was so shocked because it started on petrol first turn of the key yesterday morning as usual, this has happened very fast, not gradually or with symptoms

I have removed the fuel pump relay and am about to phone Volvos to order one

I think I have found the radio suppression valve, do I just remove it or do I have undo the mounting, I am frightened of breaking the connection when I remove it, I have tried squeezing the bits where it connects, it this it please?-

[IMG]radiosupp by Strider'swoman[/IMG]

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 10:34   #35
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Now I did read "lpg"

Pull fuse number 1 with ignition of and do a reset of the ECU!

Still 1 and 2 as DIY
Did that earlier this morning

Can't get the radio suppression thing off

Edit, what occured to me when I awoke under a black cloud at 4am this morning is that the engine management light isn't on, no lights are on

I did wonder if it's what happened to an old model 940 I had once, the fuel guage needle had packed up and it had no fuel but was reading half tank but I'm pretty confident that I've used little of the fifty quid I put in last week and the guage has moved down accordingly

Can anyone tell me how to remove the radio suppression valve please

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:02.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:02   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
@Dave: this 940 is with one pump only! A "high" pressure in tank pump.
No pre- and main pump system.

The volvo indi guy in Wales isn't good enough in his job, sorry.

What kind of bad fuel you've get in Great Britain?
I never got a problem with water in fuel in Mainland Europe.
Thanks for pointing out it only has the single high-pressure, in-tank pump Kay, i thought that arrived later in the models life.

It isn't always the fault of the fuel that we get condensation/water in the fuel. A lot of it is because of the climate. Even when it's cool here, it can be relatively humid. That means moist air and if water is present in air, it has the potential to condense. Being heavier than petrol (or diesel come to that) it will always find its way to the bottom of the tank, just where the pump and fuel pick-up live.
Over time this can build up enough to become a problem.

Also all fuel (petrol and diesel) has a water content. On diesels there is usually a drain tap in the fuel filter to drain water from it. No such luxury on petrol cars though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:07   #37
Laney760
VOC Member

I had water in my fuel once before, years ago, my own doing and I know the symptoms and I used meths. I may still have some in the garage, I'll have a look

Do I just unplug that radio suppression valve, I've tried pushing the little bits in to no avail to remove it. It does have two big wires and two little ones, its the only thing it can be, its on the passenger wing inside, not near the header tank, cheers

Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:18   #38
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

I just rang Volvos at Reading, their labour charge is £150 per hour!

I've ordered the fuel pump relay and the radio suppression relay, they will be in this afternoon and my daughter will bring them over to me

They confirmed the car only has one fuel pump

Fingers crossed!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:26   #39
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi to all, thanks for your time. Yes Scooby, I know it starts on petrol which is why I was so shocked because it started on petrol first turn of the key yesterday morning as usual, this has happened very fast, not gradually or with symptoms

I have removed the fuel pump relay and am about to phone Volvos to order one

I think I have found the radio suppression valve, do I just remove it or do I have undo the mounting, I am frightened of breaking the connection when I remove it, I have tried squeezing the bits where it connects, it this it please?-

[IMG]radiosupp by Strider'swoman[/IMG]
It looks like the Radio Suppression Relay, yes although tricky to be 100% certain due to the angle but the wiring looks pretty much right. Again, older insulation, the way the light is hitting the lens etc all conspire to make the wiring a slightly different colour (more turqoise than green) but taking that into account, yes, looks like the right one.

Squeezing the tabs on the plug side of the join should release the latch but you might find it easier to remove the relay first. The clip is usually one where moving the relay side to side works the tangs up the metalwork they're hanging onto - this statement will make more sense when you look at the top of the clip!

You might get a shock at Volvos prices! I'm waiting for one for my 760 that cost me £20 - new, pattern part which may not last as long as the OE unit but significantly cheaper!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...C/292758214749

Green Relay ^^^

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...y/283163152029

White Relay ^^^

Chances are Volvo will have to order it in as well so no benefit of reduced waiting time.

Quote:
Did that earlier this morning

Can't get the radio suppression thing off

Edit, what occured to me when I awoke under a black cloud at 4am this morning is that the engine management light isn't on, no lights are on

I did wonder if it's what happened to an old model 940 I had once, the fuel guage needle had packed up and it had no fuel but was reading half tank but I'm pretty confident that I've used little of the fifty quid I put in last week and the guage has moved down accordingly

Can anyone tell me how to remove the radio suppression valve please
Your edit makes interesting reading. Depending where and when you put that £50 worth of fuel in, it would have been 8-9 gallons at the most. You obviously use petrol until it switches to LPG but obviously not a great amount, maybe a gallon from when you topped up with fuel to when you switched over completely. That still leaves 7-8 gallons of petrol in the tank. Probably!

Not knowing your exact location, just Henley on Thames and that your parents are somewhere in the south of Wales, i took Swansea as a mid-point which according to Google Maps, is 154 miles from HoT.

At 30mpg, you should still have a gallon or two of that petrol left. At 25mpg, a bit less. If there was 7 gallons left and you only returned 22mpg, on a 154 mile journey, you will have precisely 0 gallons of petrol left.

Your 4am thought is well worth looking into!

Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:30   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I just rang Volvos at Reading, their labour charge is £150 per hour!

I've ordered the fuel pump relay and the radio suppression relay, they will be in this afternoon and my daughter will bring them over to me

They confirmed the car only has one fuel pump

Fingers crossed!
Get your daughter to bring you a gallon of petrol too! Before adding it to the tank, sniff it to make sure she has in fact put petrol in the can and not diesel by mistake!

Not suggesting your daughter is ditzy but it's all too easily done, especially if she drives a diesel.

Meanwhile, if you have a battery charger, put the battery on charge to give the car the best chance of starting when you get the bits.